Reggie Ball AJC article

I don't recall Tevin folding under pressure. Tevin was asked to do a LOT by our end of game defensive collapses.

Examples of folding under pressure:
decking a UGA assistant coach
scrambling out the back of the end zone for a safety
throwing the ball away on 4th down
etc, there's more

Tevin didn't have the strongest arm, and he threw some INTs and such in 4th quarter situations when he was trying to force the ball in because he literally had no other choice but to try it. But many of those situations were situations he never should have been in in the first place.

I don't question Reggie's heart. I hope he'll be welcomed as a Tech man by a lot of the fans who saw him play. But this nonsense equating him with Tevin is just that. Revisionist nonsense. Let's just throw all pro Calvin Johnson out of the equation for a second. If Tevin had the defense Reggie had, then we would have probably won 3 ACC championships. The name "Tevin Washington" should not even appear in a Reggie Ball thread.

Welcomed as a Tech man?

This shouldn't even be in question. Despite us all acting like assholes toward him, he has been dignified and said positive things of Tech when making comments in media, and comes to games to cheer Tech.

That's a Tech man. Who here didn't show their ass some in college?

Welcomed as a Tech man?

This shouldn't even be in question. Despite us all acting like assholes toward him, he has been dignified and said positive things of Tech when making comments in media, and comes to games to cheer Tech.

Agreed.

I was happy he hit the UGAg coach or ball boy or whatever he was. Dumbass Gagger.

The 4th down throw I put squarely on the coaches back. Even after Nix had him spike the ball "ON THIRD DOWN!!!" (Gailey's words) we had plenty of time to get another play in. The clock was stopped. Make sure your QB is coached up. Hell, I wanted us to take a 5 yard delay penalty and make DAMN sure we got a good play in. At that point, what is 5 yards? Get a good ööööing play in and stop panicking on the sidelines already. I suppose you would have rather it been a 51-7 debacle again. Reggie often looked like he was trying to carry our team against UGAg

Yes, he scrambled out the back of the endzone. Hell, perhaps if he had some blocking he wouldn't have been running for his ööööing life.

We have had a ton of players make mistakes. We took a safety on a kickoff, that wasn't Reggie.
We punched VT's QB after his forward progress had been stopped on third down. We had that game won.
We ran out of bounds against Maryland

Welcomed as a Tech man?

If he walked in my front door tomorrow I'd shake his hand and offer him a beer. I hold him no ill will.

But doing honors for him at halftime at BDS could go poorly for a few more years.

3W9jgbR.gif

If he walked in my front door tomorrow I'd shake his hand and offer him a beer. I hold him no ill will.

But doing honors for him at halftime at BDS could go poorly for a few more years.

If it went poorly, it would be due to a bunch of non-Tech men. It would take a real bitch to boo someone who did nothing more than play for your favorite team as a student.

If it went poorly, it would be due to a bunch of non-Tech men. It would take a real bitch to boo someone who did nothing more than play for your favorite team as a student.

We don't have the most mature fans. There is no doubt in my mind he'd catch some boos from the West stands. I would not be one of them.

We don't have the most mature fans. There is no doubt in my mind he'd catch some boos from the West stands. I would not be one of them.
Yeah. Wasn't calling you (or anyone else here) out. I wouldn't support, but could understand booing Javaris Crittendon if he ever shows his face on campus. But that's different.

Reggie never did anything but put on the white and gold and try to win games. I'd probably slug the nearest person to me to boo him if that day ever comes.

There are definitely season ticket holders I've sat near and tailgated with that would boo him. Sucks, but it is what it is. Our fans aren't the best. They're not the worst, but they're not the best.

I think Reggie would get a warm welcome from those around me. Chan would get booed.

I think Reggie would get a warm welcome from those around me. Chan would get booed.

I wish that were the case in general; but I've defended RB here on Stingtalk enough to know that aside from this thread he typically is regarded with disdain by a sizable portion of the GT fanbase. I suspect you would hear an uncomfortable mix of cheers and boos if he was recognized at Grant Field. Even in this thread which is predominately positive you hear people saying he regressed over 4 years, which he didn't, though he may not have shown the marked improvement he could have with better coaching.

Delete this post immediately.
I did say "we". I blame myself as much as anyone for not saying "GET DOWN!!!"

We also had a potential nightmare scenario when the refs wound the clock with less than a minute in the half against UNC when Demaryius Thomas stepped out to stop the clock. We won anyway, but CPJ was boiling over after the refs.

I don't recall Tevin folding under pressure. Tevin was asked to do a LOT by our end of game defensive collapses.

Examples of folding under pressure:
decking a UGA assistant coach
scrambling out the back of the end zone for a safety
throwing the ball away on 4th down
etc, there's more

Tevin didn't have the strongest arm, and he threw some INTs and such in 4th quarter situations when he was trying to force the ball in because he literally had no other choice but to try it. But many of those situations were situations he never should have been in in the first place.

I don't question Reggie's heart. I hope he'll be welcomed as a Tech man by a lot of the fans who saw him play. But this nonsense equating him with Tevin is just that. Revisionist nonsense. Let's just throw all pro Calvin Johnson out of the equation for a second. If Tevin had the defense Reggie had, then we would have probably won 3 ACC championships. The name "Tevin Washington" should not even appear in a Reggie Ball thread.
I agree with all of this. Reggie didn't deserve a bunch of the öööö thrown his way, but he did earn some of it.

and Tevin brought the team back numerous times at the end of games, only for our defense to blow the lead with 2-3 minutes left. Definitely didn't crumble under pressue

and Tevin brought the team back numerous times at the end of games, only for our defense to blow the lead with 2-3 minutes left. Definitely didn't crumble under pressue

@ VPI in 2012 should have been Tevin's shining moment. Throws a TD to Deon Hill on a sweet crossing route with like 15 seconds left, just a couple of plays after hitting Orwin Smith on a 4th & 17 on one of the best throws I've ever seen. Then Groh does his thing and blows it on the following drive, allowing VPI to hit the tying FG to send to OT where they eventually won.

TLDR - screw you, Groh.

I agree with all of this. Reggie didn't deserve a bunch of the öööö thrown his way, but he did earn some of it.

The only mistake I can remember being totally on Reggie is when he didn't kick Nix's ass for calling the time out with a minute left on NC State's one yard line on first down with PJ Daniels as our running back. Nix called time out. We passed on first down. Threw a pick. NC State won. Maddest I have ever been leaving a GT game, although the UGA Bobo asshole yellow flag game I was pretty mad too.

@ VPI in 2012 should have been Tevin's shining moment. Throws a TD to Deon Hill on a sweet crossing route with like 15 seconds left, just a couple of plays after hitting Orwin Smith on a 4th & 17 on one of the best throws I've ever seen. Then Groh does his thing and blows it on the following drive, allowing VPI to hit the tying FG to send to OT where they eventually won.

TLDR - screw you, Groh.

I was there. All our defense needed to do was hold them for 45 seconds. 45 ööööing seconds.

The only mistake I can remember being totally on Reggie is when he didn't kick Nix's ass for calling the time out with a minute left on NC State's one yard line on first down with PJ Daniels as our running back. Nix called time out. We passed on first down. Threw a pick. NC State won. Maddest I have ever been leaving a GT game, although the UGA Bobo asshole yellow flag game I was pretty mad too.
Come on man. Reggie made a ton of mistakes. I don't care if Nix/Gailey didn't know what down it was in Athens, the QB should know better.

Come on man. Reggie made a ton of mistakes. I don't care if Nix/Gailey didn't know what down it was in Athens, the QB should know better.
Reggie thought it was third down. It is what he was staring at on the scoreboard. In fact, he pointed at the board after the throw away. Plus, it is the OC's damn job to let his QB know what the situation is. What did Nix tell him before the play "Good luck out there."? We should have taken a five yard penalty, which I wanted to do, and get a better play in. Coach Johnson ABSOLUTELY would have taken control of the situation. In fact, coach Johnson would not have had him spike "ON THIRD DOWN?!?!?"

And sure, Reggie made mistakes. Attaochu made a mistake punching VT's QB after his forward progress was stopped. Reggie makes a convenient way for pussy ass GT fans to make fun of one of our own and buddy up to Gaggers who eat that crap up.

Back