Reports Tuitt back to ND

Here's my question:

What are Stephon's academic goals? If he's interested in a Liberal Arts degree, then he made the right choice. If he's interested in science and engineering, he made a terrible choice.

My guess is that he plans to forego the NFL for the priesthood.

Asinine statement. Georgia Tech has influenced a few lives. Hell, UGA has, even a handful for the better.

But, I maintain we blew this as a staff. If the young man was ready to flip, his father favored it but his mother was against it, we had two choices.
1. Lay low. Work on Mom. Introduce her to former Tech football players who are doing amazing things and are very successful, both black and white players. Let her talk to some who have gone on to NFL. Sell her on the value of Georgia Tech.
2. Pressure him to go ahead and commit without Mama's blessing. See if we can bluff Mom. (Always a bad strategy)

We chose #2. Not the best strategy. I said when he announced for us that with the negative energy of last season and the early off season his commitment was a nice shot in the arm. Now, it is another bit of bad news for Georgia Tech. I think we played it poorly.

Choice #1: You were in all the meetings to know exactly how TECH approached this situation.

Choice #2: You're just talking out your ass and have no real knowledge of the situation.

You chose choice 2. Not the best strategy.

Our coaches did a ****ty job selling GT to the mother.

I find it hard to believe that we have to sell the merits of our school to someone who lives, what, an hour away? Seriously?

I think there is a high level of retartation involved here.

Here's my question:

What are Stephon's academic goals? If he's interested in a Liberal Arts degree, then he made the right choice. If he's interested in science and engineering, he made a terrible choice.
I assume he's interested in playing the NFL. If he doesn't want to go to Tech, then he can go eat fish on Friday's and get decimated by USC. And Ohio State. And Tulsa.

I just wish he'd kept his mouth shut the whole time. But he's a kid and kids are dumb.

Please see my Andy McCollum thread. He dropped the ball on this one.

Here's a quarter.....buy a clue.

start-quarter-auction-200X200.jpg

.....and leave the commentary on our recruiting to those who have bonafide insight. Thanks.

I assume he's interested in playing the NFL. If he doesn't want to go to Tech, then he can go eat fish on Friday's and get decimated by USC. And Ohio State. And Tulsa.

I just wish he'd kept his mouth shut the whole time. But he's a kid and kids are dumb.

Two words. Derrick Morgan. CPJ should have called Derrick and said, "hey, think you could come down and have a convo with this Tuitt kid?"

And Navy.

Choice #1: You were in all the meetings to know exactly how TECH approached this situation.

Choice #2: You're just talking out your ass and have no real knowledge of the situation.

You chose choice 2. Not the best strategy.

How can you argue against the facts in this? We got a great player to de-commit from ND to us, this did not have his mother's approval, and now, he's back to ND. My point is, why not take the time until signing day to keep working on Mom. If we pressured him we were wrong. If he wanted to announce on his own we should have advised him to wait until Mom supported this decision.

Someone is ignorant. Her comments blow my mind. She's doing all the talking now after never saying a word before.

Quote from Tuitt's mom via Chip's article:

“Stephon does like Tech, but I’m looking at this long term,” she said. “Notre Dame is a known entity that’s going to influence his entire life. That’s a big difference. It’s apples to oranges.”

Discuss.
link?

Stephon Tuitt has switched his commitment back to Notre Dame.

The five-star defensive end from Monroe Area High School, who flipped from the Fighting Irish in order to commit to Georgia Tech on Tuesday, confirmed to the AJC late Wednesday night that he flipped back to Notre Dame. Elapsed time on the de-commit/re-commit: About 30 hours.

“What a day!” Tuitt said.

Tuitt said he had a change of heart after Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly and several defensive coaches made an in-home visit Wednesday night.

“They just told the truth,” he said when asked what changed his mind. “They didn’t say anything negative about Georgia Tech or anything like that. They just told the truth about what Notre Dame could do for me and what I could do at Notre Dame..”

Tuitt said he “had a few questions I needed to get off my chest.” Asked what those questions were, he said, “just some little things and some big things. I had some questions about the class they have coming in and some about the school and some about the coaching staff. Things like that.”

Afterward, Tuitt said he and his mother re-affirmed his commitment to sign with Notre Dame on national signing day. Then he called Georgia Tech head coach Paul Johnson.

“It was terrible,” Tuitt said of that phone call. ‘He was disappointed. He said he knows it’s a business. I don’t think he was mad at me necessarily, just very disappointed. He’s a great coach and Georgia Tech has a great future. It’s just going to be without me.”

Asked whether there was any chance he might change his mind again, Tuitt said no. “I should be solid to signing day.”

Tuitt’s mother, Tamara Bartlett, was clearly a catalyst in the decision.

“I never changed my mind in the first place,” she said of her son de-committing to Notre Dame. “Stephon did. The reason he was wavering back and forth all boils down to him not wanting to hurt anybody’s feelings. He had developed relationships with all these coaches and didn’t want to disappoint them. But somebody’s going to have to be disappointed and today it’s Georgia Tech. Tomorrow it’s going to be Georgia Tech and the next day it’s going to Georgia Tech because recruiting stops now.”

For his part, Tuitt went out of his way to praise Georgia Tech and its football program.

“To be able to go to Notre Dame is just a special opportunity,” he said. “Georgia Tech is also a great school; that’s why I was second-guessing. I love Georgia Tech and their coaching staff. But this is a life decision.”

It’s not like Georgia Tech took Tuitt’s commitment for granted. Johnson rearranged his travel schedule so he could go to Monroe Area High School and meet with Tuitt and fellow Tech commitment Demontevious Smith earlier in the day Wednesday.

Of course, national signing day is still 13 days away. Lest we forget ? verbal commitments are non-binding?

What did CPJ say? If they don't wanna be here we don't want them. Let his momma boy ass move on.

Quote from Tuitt's mom via Chip's article:

“Stephon does like Tech, but I’m looking at this long term,” she said. “Notre Dame is a known entity that’s going to influence his entire life. That’s a big difference. It’s apples to oranges.”

Discuss.

It is true. That's not to say that GT wouldn't influence his life, it's just that being a Notre Dame football player alum would influence it so much more. They're on a different level than us in things like that.

They have a nation-wide network of huge fans and everything about them is of national interest. People fly in to bumble**** Indiana and sell out every one of their games. You graduate as an ND football player and you're set for life.

We can't even sell out a 55k stadium in the middle of a big city. It is apples and oranges.

Someone is ignorant. Her comments blow my mind. She's doing all the talking now after never saying a word before.

I wonder if she waited until after she finished changing her son's diaper before making those comments.

There really is a reason why women should stay in the kitchen. I'd like to think that I'm an exception, but she obviously doesn't know **** about coach speak and whatnot.

And by "I'm an exception", I meant that as in I know **** about football.

The GT bias on this board, although understandable, is ridiculous. ND and GT are both great schools that set him up great for NFL or non-NFL ambitions. Count your blessings. Our recruiting class is pretty damn good after the season we just had, we have a former NFL coach as our defensive coordinator, we have a lot of excited young guys ready to step up next season, and we have a head coach who most of us are really excited about. Last year people were creaming themselves about Groh coming to be our defensive coordinator, now we are bitching about some kid who decided to go to ND instead of GT? This is a perfect example of: Today's luxury is tomorrows necessity.

Back