Richt to Miami?

How many times has a coach returned to a former program and been successful?

@davehydesports
Miami interviewed Mullen, Butch and Schiano. Talking with Richt today, per source.

@davehydesports
Miami interviewed Mullen, Butch and Schiano. Talking with Richt today, per source.

Pretty high profile list of candidates. Sure sounds that a lot of people are interested in Richt and Mullen. Got to believe Miss State is going to be on a losing end before it's over.

Pretty high profile list of candidates. Sure sounds that a lot of people are interested in Richt and Mullen. Got to believe Miss State is going to be on a losing end before it's over.

Mullen is off to greener pastures. Miami, USC, UGA, Mizzou... even USCe and UVA are upgrades on Starkville.

I think Mullen knows it's all downhill from here at MSU. He loses Dak and is probably looking at a couple ööööty years coming up. Might as well jump now.

really hope Richt doesn't choose Miami. I think that would be a huge boost to that program.

really hope Richt doesn't choose Miami. I think that would be a huge boost to that program.

Miami needs him, IMO, and for him to use his pull with boosters and former players to get a small stadium and get out of ööööhole Dolphins stadium

I think Mullen knows it's all downhill from here at MSU. He loses Dak and is probably looking at a couple ööööty years coming up. Might as well jump now.

This.

Just like Charlie Strong bailing on Louisville after losing Bridgewater. Miss St - Miami is a lateral move IMO, but he gains job security by a change of scenery. Mullen has raised the bar in Starkeville and I don't see how he can sustain recent levels of success.

Either that or he is using the interview as leverage for more money / longer term contract.

This.

Just like Charlie Strong bailing on Louisville after losing Bridgewater. Miss St - Miami is a lateral move IMO, but he gains job security by a change of scenery. Mullen has raised the bar in Starkeville and I don't see how he can sustain recent levels of success.

Either that or he is using the interview as leverage for more money / longer term contract.

I think the latter. Particularly vs Miami. Miami is a dead end for anyone who doesn't produce a top 5 team in 3 years. Their level of delusion is that high.

Except maybe Butch. He might last 5.

Richt would be good for Miami, but Miami wouldn't be good for Richt. Recruits like Dalvin Cook, who went to Miami Gardens HS, are going to keep going to schools with far bigger stadiums, better facilities, etc. For whatever reason, the distance to FSU, Clemson, UGA, etc. hasn't been an issue for many of the top-ranked recruits.

Sure, Miami will always get some recruits from the area. That's why they have kept doing well in the draft. But Miami won't get back to the 2001 level of talent, which is what they expect. Top 25 most years and top 10 occasionally isn't good enough for their delusional fans.

This.

Recruiting should be way easier in Miami, and theoretically offers an easier path to the playoffs than the sec west

channel 46 reporting he's going to miami taking pruit and eason with him

Order of sense for Miami:

Mullen - Deep Florida ties, knows the recruiting trails, comes from a good offensive coaching tree

Richt - Former Miami player, proven good head coaching record. If he couldn't win at Georgia, he won't win at Miami, either. Not tough on players.

Schiano/Davis - Both with ties to old school Miami, will try to usher in the return of swag. Will fail. Will get caught doing something really dumb. Will get the program in hot water.

Back