Shai McKenzie

Players of that caliber probably won't settle for less than 10 touches a game. CPJ needs to show that special players will get the ball.

Agree, but like ElCidBUZZingFAN implied, we have to get those special players first to have the opportunity to showcase them.

Still, I'm not so sure that all special players are that obsessed with # of touches. Look at Oregon, for example. They didn't have a 1000 yard rusher this year, despite running for a ton of yards. De'Anthony Thomas, considered by many to be the most explosive back in the country, only had 93 touches this year and 92 touches last year. As a comparison, Robbie Godhigh had 90 touches this season, and certainly could have had more if he was as much of a threat as Thomas is.

The difference is that kids just want to play at Oregon, for a variety of reasons. If you can convince recruits that the total package is worth it, they will be able to overlook certain things.

Did somebody say uniforms?

oregon-ducks-2013-spring-game-nike-uniforms.jpg

Montae Nicholson picks MichSt over Pitt today. They were expecting him to commit with Shai until this guy (https://twitter.com/WPIAL_Insider) picked Nicholson to MSU a few days ago.

Same guy picks McKenzie to VT today.

Just fodder for discussion.

Agree, but like ElCidBUZZingFAN implied, we have to get those special players first to have the opportunity to showcase them.

Still, I'm not so sure that all special players are that obsessed with # of touches. Look at Oregon, for example. They didn't have a 1000 yard rusher this year, despite running for a ton of yards. De'Anthony Thomas, considered by many to be the most explosive back in the country, only had 93 touches this year and 92 touches last year. As a comparison, Robbie Godhigh had 90 touches this season, and certainly could have had more if he was as much of a threat as Thomas is.

You really fudged those stats didn't you? Counting Godhigh's runs and catches as touches but only Thomas' carries.

Thomas actually had 133 touches and missed 4.5 games due to injury. That's a little over 15 touches per game played. Godhigh averaged 7.5 touches.

The difference is that kids just want to play at Oregon, for a variety of reasons. If you can convince recruits that the total package is worth it, they will be able to overlook certain things.
Our system is closer to Oregon than most might think. The big difference is the packaging. Oregon appears to run plays faster. Relays plays in a much faster way. The plays don't seem to come from the 1970s. We go out of our way to keep things old school and BORING. Oregon goes out of their way to juice even the most simple dive play.

Our system is closer to Oregon than most might think. The big difference is the packaging. Oregon appears to run plays faster. Relays plays in a much faster way. The plays don't seem to come from the 1970s. We go out of our way to keep things old school and BORING. Oregon goes out of their way to juice even the most simple dive play.

That's because they have the juicy players to make those plays look good.

Teams that run up-tempo style offenses typically don't have very good defenses because in order to be good at running an up-tempo offense you have to do it in practice all the time. That creates a problem for their defense at practice because the D coaches don't have enough time to make adjustments and teach technique.

when does an offense practice against its own defense, aside from spring? It's going up against the scouts to get a look at the opposing formations and tendencies, not against its own 1s and 2s on D. (Except for the pros. Different lamina altogether).
Now, I can see a problem for the D during a game when the coaches don't have time to go over adjustments because the offense isn't spending much time on the field.

I have seen PJ run the 1O v 1D or 2O v 2D in practice for goal line stuff, but for very, very little else during the season.

I'm terrified of what's going to happen to this site if he doesn't pick GT.

Georgia Tech is not the easy path to choose, but I've never met anyone who regretted it.
Loved GT for 18 years before getting there.
...hated it for the 4.5 years I was there.
...been arguing that Georgia Tech is the best thing since sliced bread ever since and recommend it to just about everyone I meet. :biggthumpup:

Loved GT for 18 years before getting there.
...hated it for the 4.5 years I was there.
...been arguing that Georgia Tech is the best thing since sliced bread ever since and recommend it to just about everyone I meet. :biggthumpup:

Yes, it is a special kind of hell there, isn't it? Maybe a little bit of Stockholm syndrome?

btw *yawn* is there any real McKenzie news yet?

We'll know for sure tomorrow but it sounds like we're out of the picture completely. Coming down to VT or Pitt.

It's all about CJ Leggette now.

and Autry, and probably a few other kids we fans haven't focused on.

I'd like to stick my foot up that little punks ass and slap the crap out of both his parents just for creating pompous egotistical prick of a child

Totally agree. Tired of the hat show divas. Screw this kid.

Back