Sims is the future of this offense

gtphd

What a time to be alive
I dont recall him "laying one in there" all night. Closest was probably the TD that took the acrobatic catch and was a turftoe away from OOB.
He had several, including that one, where he threaded a needle.

I get that TD was barely a TD, but he threw it perfectly given very good coverage.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
I love Yates play, Sims is just unstoppable when his passing is on. I love how the 2 qbs cheer each other on. They're just great young men.
Early in the game thread someone said "Yates is not the problem," which I think was true. He wasn't the problem, but I think it was clear that he did not quite have the tools to overcome OL and playcalling issues when going up against the more talented teams on our schedule. He has a great attitude and was a stabilizing force at an early season juncture where things could have gone off the rails. I feel very comfortable about him stepping in down the road if needed.

Sims just gives us another lethal threat in the backfield, and helps unlock everything else as a result. The more dynamic your QB is, the less perfect your playcalling needs to be. It feels like a cheat code, almost like adding an extra player on to the field.

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
Early in the game thread someone said "Yates is not the problem," which I think was true. He wasn't the problem, but I think it was clear that he did not quite have the tools to overcome OL and playcalling issues when going up against the more talented teams on our schedule. He has a great attitude and was a stabilizing force at an early season juncture where things could have gone off the rails. I feel very comfortable about him stepping in down the road if needed.

Sims just gives us another lethal threat in the backfield, and helps unlock everything else as a result. The more dynamic your QB is, the less perfect your playcalling needs to be. It feels like a cheat code, almost like adding an extra player on to the field.
It was me, and I agree with you 100%. Our OL still needs a lot of work, but Sims made them look better.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Dont bank on it.

His open field running ability seems legit. Teams will take that away and force him to throw.

I dont recall him "laying one in there" all night. Closest was probably the TD that took the acrobatic catch and was a turftoe away from OOB. That is a limitation. Good news IMHO is if he is on and the WR are dialed in like they were last night we are going to be formidable. AND if he is not on we are no friggin slouch with Yates.

Teams going forward are going to be prepared for both. We will take noone else by surprise. But if you are prepping for both you cant give 100% to the one you are facing.
This isn't meant as a slight at Yates, but I'm not really sure his skillset is distinguished enough that teams are actually going to set aside time to prepare for him unless it's a situation where it's clear he's the starter (i.e. if Sims goes down). I think he's a slightly more accurate passer, but generally speaking, I doubt teams devote scarce practice time to preparing for the backup QB who is slower and has less arm strength than the starter.

And the TD pass was perfectly placed. Giving your receiver a chance to make a play in the end zone in tight coverage is actually something good QBs are expected to do. And good receivers are expected to haul in their fair share of those passes. Everything went according to plan.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******

After the Clemmons game I said if Yates can't score points then he needs to get pulled. We end up stalling in the red zone multiple times yet again so I called for him to get benched after the second field goal. He had more than enough chances to show his stuff.

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
After the Clemmons game I said if Yates can't score points then he needs to get pulled. We end up stalling in the red zone multiple times yet again so I called for him to get benched after the second field goal. He had more than enough chances to show his stuff.
Goes to show how dominant was our perfomance that Sims did what he did in 3 quarters, after we settled for 2 field goals from 1st and goal on the 10.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
He had several, including that one, where he threaded a needle.

I get that TD was barely a TD, but he threw it perfectly given very good coverage.
We are going to have to disagree on that. If thats tge throw and catch required to thread the needle then that is a low percentage needle.

I did not see another, but I welcome you pointing out when it occurred so I can rewatch.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
Dont bank on it.

His open field running ability seems legit. Teams will take that away and force him to throw.

I dont recall him "laying one in there" all night. Closest was probably the TD that took the acrobatic catch and was a turftoe away from OOB. That is a limitation. Good news IMHO is if he is on and the WR are dialed in like they were last night we are going to be formidable. AND if he is not on we are no friggin slouch with Yates.

Teams going forward are going to be prepared for both. We will take noone else by surprise. But if you are prepping for both you cant give 100% to the one you are facing.
Sims is flat-out a better passer and runner than Yates, who is absolutely a great guy to have ready if/when needed. But Yates had a couple of early dirt balls on 3rd down that may have extended drives. If coaching can improve Sims arm....combined with his wheels, he suddenly becomes a very formidable QB.

You don't just "take that away" either. He's still fast & agile and Ds must make plays on him, as well as simply having the right scheme.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein

What an admission lol
That was obvious watching their defense. I was surprised they didn’t do anything at halftime. Really poor coaching at UNC. Good job by our staff to have the rest of the offense able to support either QB, although they are similar styles.

pickledickle25

Varsity Lurker
So let’s talk about Sims aim for a second. Against NIU he couldn’t hit the side of a barn door. Again UNC he had sniper-like precision on passes that weren’t tipped. What was different and can we bank on this level of precision going forward?
To be fair, the side of a barn door is a pretty small target

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
Based on your second example I see why we both look at the same thing and see different things. We will have to agree to disagree.
You act like a QB magically knows where his WR is gong to be 2 seconds after he throws the ball. A QBs job is to get the ball where the WR can make a play and keep it away from the DB. When the ball is in the air, it is up to the WR to adjust his route / speed to make the play. In the vast majority of situations, the QB is throwing to a spot and the WR is not even looking back at the QB when the ball is thrown.

Sims had a really nice game, and the RBs and WRs did their job with routes and athletic catches.