Sims is the future of this offense

I can see the comparison to Vince Young, not so much as style goes, but how Sims looked as if he were playing against pee wee league players, at times. That’s what VY looked like at Texas, a man, playing against boys. The interesting part is Sims is a sophomore.
Sim's last TD to close the game is a good "Vince Young" example. He doesn't look like he is running that hard or fast if you just look at him, but if you look at the UNC defenders, LB's, CB's, and S, he absolutely outruns any angles they have and is obviously blazingly fast

In seeing how well Sims played this week, is it possible that he was injured going into the NIU game? That could explain the issues with accuracy?
It seems like there were some in the know who were saying he was hurt heading into the NIU game.

I hope he goes ööööing off on Pittsburgh. Correctly run, our option game between him, Gibbs, Mason, Smith should worry the hell out of Pitt and keep them honest and occupied. Sim's arm should worry them.

Hell, if I were a Pitt fan, I'd be pretty worried heading into Saturday. If our OL plays well, we beat their asses. 500+ yards total offense for the game

I’m very much a traditionalist but I have a soft spot for alternate uniforms, and this combo is very cool to me.
And I believe those are the better constructed Adidas uniforms. Not sure exactly how.

We have come a long way since playing in Russell uniforms, which were poorly made and ill fitting

Sim's last TD to close the game is a good "Vince Young" example. He doesn't look like he is running that hard or fast if you just look at him, but if you look at the UNC defenders, LB's, CB's, and S, he absolutely outruns any angles they have and is obviously blazingly fast
Watched the condensed game with the missus last night and pointed that out to her. He looked like he was just jogging while outrunning everyone.

I can see the comparison to Vince Young, not so much as style goes, but how Sims looked as if he were playing against pee wee league players, at times. That’s what VY looked like at Texas, a man, playing against boys. The interesting part is Sims is a sophomore.
One diff is that one of those two is hard working and the other could not always stay awake in meetings.

In seeing how well Sims played this week, is it possible that he was injured going into the NIU game? That could explain the issues with accuracy?
I honestly think he was just too amped/wound up too tight/too much internal pressure on himself. Our staff has made it known that the foundation has been set and this year it's time to start winning games. Jeff knows he had a lot of turnovers last year and needed to clean that up and improve to put us in better chances to win. I think he was trying too hard to place the ball in perfect positions to not get intercepted instead of just playing loose and trusting his arm.

Based on your second example I see why we both look at the same thing and see different things. We will have to agree to disagree.
The 2nd one is absolutely threading the needle. That is a tough throw and the timing has to be perfect.

Me and some other fans talked about that.

Patenaude had some comments a couple weeks ago that maybe the big stage was too much for Sims? Particularly having an unrestricted crowd for the first time? That and maybe he had some pressure on him with al the work he put in over the offseason, expecting to be perfect from the first snap. Hopefully this game showed him that he can just play and have success, and if it starts to get away from he has a solid backup in Yates to take over for a short time.

The 2nd one is absolutely threading the needle. That is a tough throw and the timing has to be perfect.
You are mistaken if you think that I said that throw was not "threading the needle". Without a doubt, a bullet throw will be better for threading the needle most times. I suppose if your receivers cant get open or you cant find the open receivers, you have no choice but to bullet it into a needle window. But that isn't my concern at all. Maybe it should be something of a concern...

You are mistaken if you think that I said that throw was not "threading the needle". Without a doubt, a bullet throw will be better for threading the needle most times. I suppose if your receivers cant get open or you cant find the open receivers, you have no choice but to bullet it into a needle window. But that isn't my concern at all. Maybe it should be something of a concern...
I don't understand your argument then. All three clips he provided showed passes where Sims "laid it in there" if that's what you want to call it. Intermediate pass to the sticks at the sideline, deep ball outside the numbers to the front pylon, and RPO on a cut back route across the middle. Every one he put in a perfect tiny window where our guy had opportunity to make a play and the defender did not - the definition of threading the needle. If you're referring to being concerned about hanging a deep ball out there for one of our guys to run under away from a defender, well first one of our guys has to do that. We didn't all game against UNC.

Back