Sims is the future of this offense

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
You act like a QB magically knows where his WR is gong to be 2 seconds after he throws the ball. A QBs job is to get the ball where the WR can make a play and keep it away from the DB. When the ball is in the air, it is up to the WR to adjust his route / speed to make the play. In the vast majority of situations, the QB is throwing to a spot and the WR is not even looking back at the QB when the ball is thrown.

Sims had a really nice game, and the RBs and WRs did their job with routes and athletic catches.
Yep, sometimes it's just about giving your receiver a chance to make a play, and when the ball is well placed, it's a play that only the receiver can get to. Aaron Rodgers has been a master at this his whole career.

Crew's whole contrarian take on this today has been weird.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
You act like a QB magically knows where his WR is gong to be 2 seconds after he throws the ball. A QBs job is to get the ball where the WR can make a play and keep it away from the DB. When the ball is in the air, it is up to the WR to adjust his route / speed to make the play. In the vast majority of situations, the QB is throwing to a spot and the WR is not even looking back at the QB when the ball is thrown.

Sims had a really nice game, and the RBs and WRs did their job with routes and athletic catches.
On the wide open pass Sims made in the second half (not sure our WR), Sims threw the ball as the WR was breaking. It was wide open, but Sims anticipated it being wide open by reading the defense. It was a great play.

JJacket

Yep, sometimes it's just about giving your receiver a chance to make a play, and when the ball is well placed, it's a play that only the receiver can get to.

Crew's whole contrarian take on this today has been weird.
Crew is playing the long game *hoping* Sims has a subsequent bad game so he can say "see? I told you!"

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Crew is playing the long game *hoping* Sims has a subsequent bad game so he can say "see? I told you!"
Would not shock me. I take his point that we can't just assume that performance is the new norm for Sims, but he's way overselling it. We all get that defenses will adjust and Sims will need to show consistency. I don't think anyone expects him to run for 100+ yards every game.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan

The Qb, receiver relationship is very weird. Timing is something I think that is lost on the average viewer.

JJacket

I, and I’m sure most of us, are not saying Sims is a future Heisman winner. We’re just saying he had a great game yesterday and are wondering if it’s sustainable.
Imagine being a Clemson fan right now and going from legit 5* Lawrence to 5*? Uiagalelei (yes, looked up the spelling) and having the team go into the crapper. Clemson wasn't supposed to miss a beat at QB. Dabo had it easy with Lawrence there, since he was a pre packaged pro QB before he landed at Clemson. If you remember correctly, Lawrence took over the reigns at Clemson mid game against GT at our place and never looked back.
Sims can be very good. He has all the measurables. Height, strength, speed. If we want to win the ACC, he is the prototype QB we need.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Would not shock me. I take his point that we can't just assume that performance is the new norm for Sims, but he's way overselling it. We all get that defenses will adjust and Sims will need to show consistency. I don't think anyone expects him to run for 100+ yards every game.
Sorry if I came across as "overselling" it. If you actually look at my posts, you will see they are also very positive on Sims.
I, and I’m sure most of us, are not saying Sims is a future Heisman winner. We’re just saying he had a great game yesterday and are wondering if it’s sustainable.
100% this. He had an amazing game.

Was it really the passing that was amazing or mostly the long runs that were amazing. We drop that low percentage TD pass and his numbers look OK, right? Lots to feel better about versus the NIU debacle though. Lots.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Was it really the passing that was amazing or mostly the long runs that were amazing. We drop that low percentage TD pass and his numbers look OK, right? Lots to feel better about versus the NIU debacle though. Lots.
He started slow passing, but completed his last 10. I disagree that the TD was low percentage. I'll give you that it was a difficult play for the receiver, but the placement was excellent and the reel and footwork are things receivers work on every day. Talented WRs make those sorts of catches around the country every week, so I don't feel like it makes sense to "drop" it, even as a mental exercise.

Sims won't look this good every week, of course. I'd imagine he'll have a game or two down the stretch that get some fans disgruntled and pining for Yates, but barring another injury or an extended period of NIU-level play, I think he's the guy from here on out. If he can just continue to limit turnovers and play somewhere in between NIU and UNC (but closer to the latter), we'll be bowling this year at minimum.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
I have been high on Yates lately, but Sims being a home run threat running is probably the difference, particularly with our OL the way it is. Otherwise, defenses can just try to bottle up Gibbs and not worry about the QB taking it to the house.

But hey, it could all change. I think it's fun and both guys are handling it well.

wishbone

Dodd-Like
Sims entry was a stellar coaching move. I luv Yates, but the intro of Sim's speed completely changed the tempo of the game and caught UNC flatfooted. UNC was over committing to Gibbs and Donte speed and laying off Yates. They where a step behind and Sims destroyed them.
The 2 back RPO with our RB team could be amazing. PatN wants to run first and then pass...OK then-maximize your running talent on the field.
Tight ends don't run. The way the 2 back RPO could attack corners might be sweet.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
I have been high on Yates lately, but Sims being a home run threat running is probably the difference, particularly with our OL the way it is. Otherwise, defenses can just try to bottle up Gibbs and not worry about the QB taking it to the house.

But hey, it could all change. I think it's fun and both guys are handling it well.
I think Yates did about as well as could reasonably be expected. He protected the ball and looked poised out there. He helped get us back in the NIU game, which looked to be spiraling out of control, breezed past KSU, and just avoided doing anything costly against Clemson, all while allowing Sims to heal and observe from the sideline. Ultimately, by the time Sims was brought back in, it was clear that we needed to go back to the guy with more ability to force defenses off balance and make plays off script when need be. It's no knock on Yates, who we may very well need at some point down the road.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
Don’t forget that Sims gives us a deep ball threat that Yates doesn’t have.

After we made UNC pay for their overpursuit a few times, they didn’t rush as strong and gave Sims time to make plays. That’s something else that we don’t have with Yates.
Sims has actually never consistently hit the deep ball. This is his main limitation and what teams forced us to do consistently with him at the helm.

ComputerNut62

Varsity Lurker
The issue with Sims up to now has been poor decisions leading to turnovers and a substandard completion percentage. Maybe that was all due to lack of experience. Time will tell. Yates didn’t have those issues so he was a refreshing change plus his effort and determination was palpable. I don’t think anyone doubts Sims has better physical skills. I would guess those physical skills are why Sims won the job as a freshman. Let’s all just hope Sims continues to protect the ball and throw at 65%+. That’s what give us the best chance to win.

rosebud

Armchair theologian
I can see the comparison to Vince Young, not so much as style goes, but how Sims looked as if he were playing against pee wee league players, at times. That’s what VY looked like at Texas, a man, playing against boys. The interesting part is Sims is a sophomore.