Something Coach Johnson said this week

Ish

Dodd-Like
(I got this from a player on the team.)

As you know the team has been doing AM conditioning drills for 1.5 weeks. At the end of the individual sessions Coach Johnson rounds em all up and talks to them, gives them feedback, yells, etc.

Well on Monday a high school team came to watch the drills and a couple of guys wore UGA hats. Coach Johnson overheard some of our players grumbling about it, and at the end-of-practice roundup CPJ had some things to say about Georgia. He said "If I was a kid in this state I'd be a UGA fan, too. They've kicked our asses for the past 6 years." He later went on to say "nobody is going to just give you respect, you have to earn it."
----

I must say I'm impressed with Coach Johnson. He gets it.

OUCH! :bowdown:

I'd have been right there with them and I'd also have changed my tune after that reaming.

I like this man. I really do. I am keeping my fingers crossed that he will be as damn good as I think he can be...

thats all well and good but I would have told the boys with UGA hats to take them off or get the hell out

thats all well and good but I would have told the boys with UGA hats to take them off or get the hell out

My sentiments, normally. However, the boys may be potential recruits. Does that change anything?

Edited to say: Nah!

It's definitely a different approach, and might pay off, if the players take to it.

Ish - what was your player friend's opinion of the team's reaction to it? What was his reaction to it? No need to name names, just curious.

God willing we'll have recruits wearing Tech hats into Samford in a year or two.

(I got this from a player on the team.)

As you know the team has been doing AM conditioning drills for 1.5 weeks. At the end of the individual sessions Coach Johnson rounds em all up and talks to them, gives them feedback, yells, etc.

Well on Monday a high school team came to watch the drills and a couple of guys wore UGA hats. Coach Johnson overheard some of our players grumbling about it, and at the end-of-practice roundup CPJ had some things to say about Georgia. He said "If I was a kid in this state I'd be a UGA fan, too. They've kicked our asses for the past 6 years." He later went on to say "nobody is going to just give you respect, you have to earn it."
----

I must say I'm impressed with Coach Johnson. He gets it.

Excellent!

beej said:
Ish - what was your player friend's opinion of the team's reaction to it? What was his reaction to it? No need to name names, just curious.
A couple of the guys were visibly pissed. Not because of what CPJ said necessarily; they were more upset that it was true and in agreement with him.

You're saying the head coach should stop what he's doing and walk over to a 16 year old kid and tell him to get the hell out of practice. CPJ did the smart thing: used it to his advantage in order to make a point. It stuck.

I love it...CPJ IS THE BEST fit for us period. I hope and assume he will continue to remind them of the hate we have for ga-

Wearing UGa paraphanalia while attending a special event by invitation of the head coach is so rude and disrespectful that I don't even have words for it.

If Marc Richt invited my son to observe a personal training session at UGa I would advise my son to be respectful enough to leave his Tech hat in the car.

That said, I like Coach Johnson's answer and think he was wise not to ask the kids to remove the hats. Coach Johnson imagines a day when a UGa fan on the Tech campus will be too embarrassed to wear a UGa hat. He aims to make it so. For that, he has my respect.

Wearing UGa paraphanalia while attending a special event by invitation of the head coach is so rude and disrespectful that I don't even have words for it.

If Marc Richt invited my son to observe a personal training session at UGa I would advise my son to be respectful enough to leave his Tech hat in the car.

That said, I like Coach Johnson's answer and think he was wise not to ask the kids to remove the hats. Coach Johnson imagines a day when a UGa fan on the Tech campus will be too embarrassed to wear a UGa hat. He aims to make it so. For that, he has my respect.

Agreed. I cant believe the HS coach would let that happen.

A couple of the guys were visibly pissed. Not because of what CPJ said necessarily; they were more upset that it was true and in agreement with him.

You're saying the head coach should stop what he's doing and walk over to a 16 year old kid and tell him to get the hell out of practice. CPJ did the smart thing: used it to his advantage in order to make a point. It stuck.
Agreed. The kids should be more respectful and not worn the attire to another school's practice but that is the nature of the beast these days. I fault the coaches (high school) for not telling them that they were going to Georgia Tech and to respect the school by not wearing UGA attire. Similarly, if they were going to UGA not to wear Florida stuff etc. Kdids today just do not think about such things as manners and good taste.

Kdids today just do not think about such things as manners and good taste.

True partly because parents today are just as bad and as poor to teach them correctly at a young age. Can't blame teachers, coaches, and tv for everything. Well raised kids are more immune to poor outside influences.

like the other guy said, I think he did it to piss them off. They've whipped out tales, and regardless of how we slice it, they own us right now. Seriously, why would a kid growing up in ga right now want to wear a GT hat? Its pisses me off to say that, but its the truth.

I think what he was trying to say, you can't tell someone to respect you, you have to do what it takes to earn that respect. He's telling them, nobody in the state respects them right now, and honest they have no reason to. That will change soon enough though

Well, I'm glad about the way he handled it. Our whole team under Gailey was soft and spoiled on top of that. Many of Gailey's players don't understand the phrase "shut up and play".

Well, I'm glad about the way he handled it. Our whole team under Gailey was soft and spoiled on top of that. Many of Gailey's players don't understand the phrase "shut up and play".

Agreed. Especially that first part.

Good point BOR, and I especially agree with the last 4 words.
Even though I admired CCG for his character, I was surprised to see him let the mouthing go on, especially with our QB.
I've hollered your exact words often to him, "shut up and play".
In re: to the guys wearing UGA hats,
that was just a plain stupid thing to do anyway.

Back