Something Coach Johnson said this week

I hate it as much as anybody, but UGA's final AP ranking from 2007 back to 2002 was #2, #23, #10, #7, #7, #3.

Losing 7 games in a row to a team with the above record in no way makes our program a joke; especially since our games have been very close the past few years.

Unacceptable? Yes. Agonizing? Yes. Excuseable? No. Our program is a joke? Hell, no.

I would say that the fact that we've had the talent to play several games against them that we should have won and yet we have not finished in the top 25 a single time does. I'd imagine it would be kind of humorous if we didn't root for Tech, especially the way we lost some of those games. Not to mention that the talent level of our program has been sky high, especially during Calvin Johnson's junior year. Also the fact that the stadium is half red during the game every two years, and last year our PA called their "U-G-A" chant "The Greatest Tradition in College Football."

If you can say that over the past three or so years the results of your program have been "unacceptable, agonizing, and inexcusable,"
then it is probably a joke.

That's bull. We are not where we want to be, but a team with winning records over the past 10 years isn't a joke.

At first I was expecting to hear that he told them to take the hats off and I was pumped, but I finished reading and my jaw dropped. Annoying though it may be for them to wear the hats, Johnson made the point, and I'm hoping it's being driven home to this bunch.

Great thread.

That's bull. We are not where we want to be, but a team with winning records over the past 10 years isn't a joke.

Take out the patsies like Duke, UNC, etc. and see what happens. Since 2002 we are 7-18 vs ranked teams, good for a .280 winning percentage. Compare with our two biggest rivals: Clemson who is 9-12, for a .420 winning percentage, and Georgia, who is 18-11 for a .620 winning percentage.

If it seems like we have endured a disproportionate amount of disappointment in games that actually matter compared to other programs, it turns out it's because we have. People don't judge you on overall record and number of Humanitarian Bowls played in. CPJ needs to turn this thing around and get rid of that recent history of losing tradition, and it sounds like he is starting to tell the team that. I have faith.

:laugher: I love when people disqualify wins against certain teams. What about when officiating has put us in situations where it was more difficult for us to win than it should have been? What about when the weather was adverse? Do we disqualify those games, too?

edit: I just read where he said "losing tradition." :laugher:

(I got this from a player on the team.)

"If I was a kid in this state I'd be a UGA fan, too. They've kicked our asses for the past 6 years." He later went on to say "nobody is going to just give you respect, you have to earn it."
----

I must say I'm impressed with Coach Johnson. He gets it.

Wow! That's impressive and something our fans can learn from as well. Whining aint gonna get you anything.

:laugher: I love when people disqualify wins against certain teams. What about when officiating has put us in situations where it was more difficult for us to win than it should have been? What about when the weather was adverse? Do we disqualify those games, too?

edit: I just read where he said "losing tradition." :laugher:

Haha, I guess you are right. We did have a pretty damn good season last year. Seven wins is certainly not bad at all, especially when five of them come against powerhouses such as Notre Dame, Samford, Army, Duke, and UNC. Those are definitely quality wins, and when you are judging the quality of a team those wins should count just the same as games against actual football competition.

I really shouldn't sell us short just because four out of our seven wins came against teams with a combined 11-37 record and another one came against a D1-AA team. It's not any program in the nation that could get that many wins against such teams.

And if you don't think we have had a losing tradition since Chan came in, I guess you must not have been participating in the yearly post-Thanksgiving ritual the rest of us have. I'm not sure what the weather or officiating has to do with anything. I'm not trying to dispute that we've had a winning record or that we've gone to however many straight bowls, because we have. I'm just saying that when you look closer that isn't a very good measuring stick of the program.

I agree with coach johnson. Way to make a point. One of the players i talked to said the workouts have been tough. He also said there out running at 5 am. He said coach johnson and gailey are like day and night. But he likes how coach johnson relates to the players.

The more I think about why Coach Johnson's statement bothers me, if he is being quoted correctly, it is him saying, "If I were a kid in this state I'd be a Georgia fan, too."

Those in the Tech family never say stuff like that. I was a kid in Georgia during the days of Dooley's early success. They could have one the national title every year and I would have hated them. In fact, the more they won, the more I hated them. My Dad was an Auburn grad. But, somehow I loved the white and gold and wanted to go there. Every time the Dawgs beat Tech I was crushed.

If he had said, "Why don't you guys just worry about getting better and beating UGA?" I would have been fine. But, anyone who would let success on the field make them a Dawg lover has a serious problem, IMO.

Haha, I guess you are right. We did have a pretty damn good season last year. Seven wins is certainly not bad at all, especially when five of them come against powerhouses such as Notre Dame, Samford, Army, Duke, and UNC. Those are definitely quality wins, and when you are judging the quality of a team those wins should count just the same as games against actual football competition.

I really shouldn't sell us short just because four out of our seven wins came against teams with a combined 11-37 record and another one came against a D1-AA team. It's not any program in the nation that could get that many wins against such teams.

And if you don't think we have had a losing tradition since Chan came in, I guess you must not have been participating in the yearly post-Thanksgiving ritual the rest of us have. I'm not sure what the weather or officiating has to do with anything. I'm not trying to dispute that we've had a winning record or that we've gone to however many straight bowls, because we have. I'm just saying that when you look closer that isn't a very good measuring stick of the program.
This is why people like you should stay away from keyboards. Blanket statements. Yes, you're correct - we had zero luck whatsoever beating Georgia under Chan Gailey. But under him I also remember several great wins and the fact that while the team always had persistent problems, we fielded a competitive team that year in and year out played like hell. Teams with a losing tradition lose. If we had anything other than winning seasons under Gailey, then you could defend your ridiculous statement.

There was a whole hell of a lot wrong with this program under Gailey - not a single one of the problems is named a "losing tradition."

The more I think about why Coach Johnson's statement bothers me, if he is being quoted correctly, it is him saying, "If I were a kid in this state I'd be a Georgia fan, too."

Those in the Tech family never say stuff like that. I was a kid in Georgia during the days of Dooley's early success. They could have one the national title every year and I would have hated them. In fact, the more they won, the more I hated them. My Dad was an Auburn grad. But, somehow I loved the white and gold and wanted to go there. Every time the Dawgs beat Tech I was crushed.

If he had said, "Why don't you guys just worry about getting better and beating UGA?" I would have been fine. But, anyone who would let success on the field make them a Dawg lover has a serious problem, IMO.
Ugh. Johnson isn't a mere "member of the Tech family", he's the head of the damned house hold and it's his job to get this program back to beating the rotting stench back from Clarke County. Part of that is motivation and at some point, "WHATS THE GOOD WORD!" just doesn't cut it for everything.

This is why people like you should stay away from keyboards. Blanket statements. Yes, you're correct - we had zero luck whatsoever beating Georgia under Chan Gailey. But under him I also remember several great wins and the fact that while the team always had persistent problems, we fielded a competitive team that year in and year out played like hell. Teams with a losing tradition lose. If we had anything other than winning seasons under Gailey, then you could defend your ridiculous statement.

There was a whole hell of a lot wrong with this program under Gailey - not a single one of the problems is named a "losing tradition."

Well, we're in a thread specifically about U[sic]GA. I don't see how it hasn't been a tradition to lose to them every year...often it even seems like it's destiny, like two years ago when they drove 80 yards down the field for the go ahead score and everyone knew it was going to happen, or last year when there were 3 fumbles, any of which could have changed the game, but we failed to recover any of them. Or three years ago, where everybody except Reggie saw that the defensive back was going to jump the route. They have a big mental advantage over us, they make the plays that need to be made against us, we don't. It's not
"zero luck whatsoever"...it is us consistently letting them win. It is just the way it was all throughout Gailey's tenure...a losing tradition.

I can't speak for how the players feel, but with the fan base it has been an "oh woe is us" attitude. Blame the officiating, blame the luck, blame the quarterback(I am guilty of this one), but always have an excuse ready. We have gotten so used to losing to them recently that this is what our mindset has become. That needs to change, and it starts with the leader of the program.

I can't speak for how the players feel, but with the fan base it has been an "oh woe is us" attitude. Blame the officiating, blame the luck, blame the quarterback(I am guilty of this one), but always have an excuse ready. We have gotten so used to losing to them recently that this is what our mindset has become. That needs to change, and it starts with the leader of the program.

Don't know who you talk to but most of the fans I know have simply been pissed and that's why they were happy to see Chan go.

I wasn't exactly thrilled by Chan in the first place. But with O'leary ditching, we had to find someone and he seemed the best we could do at the time.

The problem I've had is that he was just too damn mellow. He seemed too complacent with "winning" seasons of 7-5 or 8-4. Maybe his players had a different perspective, but as a fan, I didn't really see any passion or fire.

I don't expect Tech to consistantly be a 12-0 or 11-1 team. However, given our ACC schedule, I consider more than 3 losses to be an off year.

Well, we're in a thread specifically about U[sic]GA. I don't see how it hasn't been a tradition to lose to them every year...often it even seems like it's destiny, like two years ago when they drove 80 yards down the field for the go ahead score and everyone knew it was going to happen, or last year when there were 3 fumbles, any of which could have changed the game, but we failed to recover any of them. Or three years ago, where everybody except Reggie saw that the defensive back was going to jump the route. They have a big mental advantage over us, they make the plays that need to be made against us, we don't. It's not
"zero luck whatsoever"...it is us consistently letting them win. It is just the way it was all throughout Gailey's tenure...a losing tradition.
Try hard to understand - by that, I mean be an understanding person. Not just trying to prove ridiculous points on technicalities. It doesn't matter that this thread is about UGAg, what you said is that Chan established a losing tradition at Tech, as though losing was the tradition. "Zero luck whatsoever" isn't a comment on how much "luck" we had, it simply means that we didn't beat them.

I'm with ncjacket, I don't know who you're talking about.

How can we not RESPECT CPJ....he handled that situation perfecty! But how about using this as our rally cry this year....

R-E-S-P-E-C-T EARN IT!
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Agreed. Unlike some of our players, he handled it in a very mature manner. I have no idea what our record will be this season but I really like what I see so far with respect to PJ. He appears to be a really good role model that will instill discipline in the Flats.

I hate the "G", can't wait for that trend to go out of style, although seeing GT flags flying over double-wides seems kind of odd to think of also. i'll still take it! :)

Well, considering that these are the same people that come over to my house to watch Tech play and cheer for Tech with me then I don't think there's any bait to take. Ugag fans EXPECT to beat Tech, they DON"T expect to beat UF. That's why it means more to them according to my Ugag friends. And btw- these people are VERY good friends of mine. They are not like most of the fanbase that you would encounter.

What can I tell you, you're still taking their bait. My best friend in the world went to UGA, and I have plenty of friends that went there as well. They've used that line on us for years. If they lose 3 or 4 straight to us, the coach will lose his job. If they lose 3-4 to UF, they just keep on chugging.

Back