Something Coach Johnson said this week

Then you're taking their bait. They just like to say that to get under your skin.

Well, considering that these are the same people that come over to my house to watch Tech play and cheer for Tech with me then I don't think there's any bait to take. Ugag fans EXPECT to beat Tech, they DON"T expect to beat UF. That's why it means more to them according to my Ugag friends. And btw- these people are VERY good friends of mine. They are not like most of the fanbase that you would encounter.

Hearing about the terrible state of the program concerns me. We could not beat UGA and had only one nine win season. Gailey had one fairly good, never great team after another, but seemed to have plateaued. Fine, if you want to go for championships and win over UGA, change.

But, the string of winning seasons and mostly minor bowls are undeniable. This is not a terrible program. I'll be very disappointed if this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and we trade places with Duke for a few years and then are supposed to hail the new staff as saviors when they get us back to 7 wins and Boise.

We have a terrific D-line coming back. We have good RB's in the program. There is talent in the OL and at LB. This team has a very reasonable non-conference schedule. They should win now.

Hearing about the terrible state of the program concerns me. We could not beat UGA and had only one nine win season. Gailey had one fairly good, never great team after another, but seemed to have plateaued. Fine, if you want to go for championships and win over UGA, change.

But, the string of winning seasons and mostly minor bowls are undeniable. This is not a terrible program. I'll be very disappointed if this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and we trade places with Duke for a few years and then are supposed to hail the new staff as saviors when they get us back to 7 wins and Boise.

We have a terrific D-line coming back. We have good RB's in the program. There is talent in the OL and at LB. This team has a very reasonable non-conference schedule. They should win now.

I don't think anybody it viewing it like that, I'm not anyway. Its more like the things we believed to be true, as far as the state of our program, are turning out to indeed be true.

The way I see it, if we can be ok-good in our current state, then if and when CPJ gets our guys mentally into shape, then we should be good - great very soon. I see no reason we should have that much of a drop off unless our defense just goes to crap real quick, which I really doubt will happen.

Our DL should be very good but we lost some depth. So injuries could hurt us. All I know is that we lost a ton of talent at LB, take it FWIW. Our secondary is going to lose us some games, but luckily we are in a league without dominant passers. So the good news is that no game is a sure loss like the Ryan BC game last year. The bad news is that UGA probably has the best passer.

Our offense requires incredible ball handling skills and the guy we are expecting to lead it has a carry per fumble ratio in the single digits. And it is an offense that conventional wisdom believes requires a lot of repetition to succeed. Perhaps it is possible to be great in year one, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I am optimistic. The schedule isn't impossible, and our players are totally underrated.

77, I tend to agree with your sentiments. There are all kinds of ways to win games and prepare teams. It is natural after a change to compare one style versus another, sometimes with disdain. It doesn't mean anything.

I have coached thousands of games of all forms. I do not know much about any sport, but I think I have a good feel for "winning". There are ways to guarantee success in life and based on what I'm hearing, PJ knows how to guarantee success. I never got the feeling that Chan understood what that concept meant. And I was a FOC.

I wish Chan the best and believe as many do, that he was a good coach for Georgia Tech. But I am looking forward to our upcoming football era. We may fail, but I just get the feeling that things could be really good. If we fail, so be it. I think we made the best decision at this moment.

But, the string of winning seasons and mostly minor bowls are undeniable. This is not a terrible program.

Coming from a person whose perspective is that basketball is life and football is a wonderful diversion, losing to U[sic]GA seven years in a row makes our program a joke. I love football, and I follow it closely all season, but I would trade anything that happens for consistent Sweet 16 runs in basketball. The exception is the U[sic]GA game. That matters more than anything, not just to the hardcore fans but also to the casual fans. Losing to your in state rival seven years in a row makes your program a joke to everyone except the hardcore fans and those who don't really know anything about college football in Georgia.

I understand what you are saying and how we should win now, but I have to disagree that our program was not terrible. Chan left plenty of pieces in place, the cupboard is not bare at all, but if we lose two or three more times to U[sic]GA in a row, our football program will be irrelevant to the majority of people. Especially since we play in the ACC.

CPJ is trying to instill a little mental endurance into the team. We've definitely got the talent to play. But we need the will to play hard, even when things aren't going our way. Look at what the Utah players said after whipping us. They didn't say that we were overrated, they knew we had a good team. What they said was that we quit. When faced with a long fight, we just didn't have the stomach for it.

And this isn't a slap at the players. The previous staff didn't coach for mental toughness. They had the pro mentality that you motivated yourself. But it needs to be taught at the college level. In HS, most Div 1a starters are so far ahead of their peirs that they can take a rest whenever they want.

losing to U[sic]GA seven years in a row makes our program a joke.

I hate it as much as anybody, but UGA's final AP ranking from 2007 back to 2002 was #2, #23, #10, #7, #7, #3.

Losing 7 games in a row to a team with the above record in no way makes our program a joke; especially since our games have been very close the past few years.

Unacceptable? Yes. Agonizing? Yes. Excuseable? No. Our program is a joke? Hell, no.

You would be surprised after talking to the new coaches the state of the program. Again, CG fooled me and I'm embarassed. This spring will not only reveal our old character but it will produce character that will take us to the next level.

Glad you see that now RM. Chan ran a loose program and those who didn't want to see it didn't.

I only hope all see that now!!

Is this a DIG? or a "I told you so"

I remember in Orlando how much you liked the guy.

neither. It is more I am glad people are now able to see much of what disfunctionality was hidden or "lied" about.

Orlando. RM I think you have me confused for somoene??? I haven't been to orlando for anything tech related...ever...I was always on the fence with chan. I did however, want to give him a chance, a chance that was burned with me after the ND game in 2006; and a chance to succeed as his success meant success for tech. Again, ND 2006 was my final straw, items leading up to it were tolerable but that was the game where I really realized the state of where we were and will always be.

Anyway...I do think you have me mixed up with someone?

Nonetheless it takes good character to admit when they were wrong so I applaud you. Much as I have been wrong about PJ's ability to recruit due to his style of O...I now don't see this as an issue...

anyway point is i want to bury this hatchet with you....

i remember meeting you at the Hotel at the Tech/Syracuse game and talking for a few minutes outside.

RM sorry man I wasn't at that game!! I was at home. I do think you have me seriously mixed up with someone.

PM me if you want more personal info.

Back