Strength & Conditioning - It's a Bad Sign For The Gailey Era IF....

Re: Strength & Conditioning - It\'s a Bad Sign For The Gailey Era IF....

Originally posted by BeeBad:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ncjacket:
Actually, I don't think we've ever had a S&C coach just for football. I think it's been an AA position and responsible for all sports. As such they should be working with the coaches for all sports to develop sound plans for all our athletes. So Chan should have "control" of what goes on, but as a football coach he wouldn't have the detailed knowledge of how to get the performance he's looking for. Just as O'Leary wouldn't have.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">NC.. thank you for setting King Tut & 2/3 of the Three Stooges straight on this issue.. the strength & conditioning coach doesn't report to Bill Lewis-gailey.. he reports to the AA ..i.e., braine... as I stated earlier..</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">_______________________________________________

I didn't know this...Obviously this is a BIG problem and it explains a lot of our difficulties last year (like getting pushed around by bigger/stronger teams)...In addition, I cannot believe that something hasn;t been done to address this problem......amazing

Originally posted by ylojk8:
wannabeebad .. too much .. LOL

our strength and conditioning coach get's his paycheck from Braine's office and prolly discusses his 401k stuff there too.

he doesn't "report" to braine about the strength and conditioning of our SAs (or sigh, there lack thereof). nor does he get told by braine that the SAs need to be on exercise regime x with a nutritional diet y. he works with head coaches and reports to them about those strength and conditioning issues.

LOL wannabee .. you and MsTA and statelinejacket .. you'd make the three stooges proud alright
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">still a drivler.

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ylojk8:

our strength and conditioning coach get's his paycheck from Braine's office and prolly discusses his 401k stuff there too.

he doesn't "report" to braine about the strength and conditioning of our SAs (or sigh, there lack thereof). nor does he get told by braine that the SAs need to be on exercise regime x with a nutritional diet y. he works with head coaches and reports to them about those strength and conditioning issues.

LOL wannabee .. you and MsTA and statelinejacket .. you'd make the three stooges proud alright
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">still a drivler.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">still a drivel consumer with a twisted drivel filter

ynojk8: sir, for once you are correct.

Actually I don't know if this is unusual or not. I'll have to check some other school's web sites to see. But I can't see how it's a problem now if if wasn't before. It's like the academic stuff to me. It doesn't really matter who they report to as long as the coaches of the specific sport are involved in the process. If a kid is missing time in the weight room, the coaches need to know so they can get them running the stairs. If the line doesn't have enough push, the coach needs to be on the S&C guy's butt to find out why. But a football coach, or baseball coach, etc., doesn't need to know how to tutor a class or how to design a weight program. At least that's my opinion.

Originally posted by ylojk8:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Why the attack on fellow posters???? That's what bothers me here. When I post its in response to a thread or something I started - why the attacks? Name calling is ridiculous. Have your opinion and even though we don't agree - don't attack! Categorizing is another thing - Chan Gailey has effectively caused so much disension this year that long time GT fans are being attacked by long time GT fans - it's the worst I've ever seen!

I'm not a stooge, have never been a stooge and would never come on this board and demean anyone with namecalling! I don't think anyone here has that right!

Chan Gailey has caused no dissension on Stingtalk. He has not ever posted here.

The only ones that have caused dissension on Stingtalk are the posters that have attacked him. These same posters get upset when another poster tries to be fair about our hiring and firing policies at GT.

You are the one causing dissension. Others are just responding to your bashing.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

MsTA .. i didn't even call you a stooge .. i said the trio of you, wannabeebad and statelinejacket would make them proud.

ur no stooge .. LOL .. a stoogette maybe

ligthen up a lil. and trace the origin of the stooge name calling in this thread ..

originally posted by beebad
Father.. the strength coach doesn't report to gailey directly, he reports to braine... If we are not in condition it is not gailey's fault..
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">So, according to you, beebad, when the academic director didn't report directly to Coach Gailey, it was still his responsibility to make sure everyone was on track, but he gets a pass on the S&C?

I originally thought you were sarcastically referencing the academic situation, but as I further read the thread, you seem to have been serious in your assertion that it is not in his line of responsibility.

So as not to confuse anyone (if anyone actually cares about my opinion,) I think that if the boss removes responsibility from your position (i.e. the academics) then you have reason to believe it will be HANDLED by him or by his process.

S&C are different (from each other and from the academic situation.) Strength programs are individualized based on positioning and body strengths and weaknesses. The conditioning can be handled (actually reinforced) on the practice field through various agility drills, sprints, form running, etc. Coach Gailey, even if removed somewhat from the process, directly observes the results of the efforts and can communicate it to S&C coach.

I don't have the slightest as to the structure of the weight training system at Tech, but I do remember the players have had a hard time bring down runners in the past several years.

If O'Leary were on top of things, why didn't he correct the weight training deficiencies.

There is no doubt, the training of individuals is different between basketball, football, baseball, track, etc. There is also different weight training for the back, wr, lineman, etc.

If I am correct, isn't there an ex-Tech football player in charge of weight training. If so, a person would think he should know the exact training required for the various football positions.

drinking.gif

Ahso.. the only strength training coach I remember at Tech was a gentleman by the name of Dave Pasarella who was an ex-player and was very highly thought of.. If I recall he passed away after a tragic car accident... I think it was back in the late 80s...

I am not truly concerned whether the S/C coach is just for the football team or for all sports. I beelieve MOST schools S/C coach works with all the athletes. My concern is the job he is not doing with our teams. My belief is that the football team has not been in as good condition as they should bee, and I think some O linemen last year were out of shape. Also, as I posted last fall, after the UVa game I was at a restaurant and one of our starting O lineman came in with his family. I am a 53 year old diabetic, and survivor of a heart attack, and my biceps and forearms are better defined, and look stronger, than this young mans do. We will be able to tell immediately if our S/C coach is doing any better at his job.

Ed Ellis oversees the athletics program S&C while working directly with football. He has two assistant "Player Development Coaches" one of whom is Tech legend Eddie Lee Ivery--this info per media guide.

Ivery has really taken advantage of this job in his personal battles with some of those demons that stalk even great running backs and to which we all are succeptable (sp?.) Thankfully, as far as I know, he is winning the battle and is really fitting in and doing a good job. He and Lucius Sanford are my first memories of GT football. That makes me a youngster on this board.

Spellingbee, Ivory was the Tech player I had in mind. I thought he was involved in some way with training.

We really need good weight training. It is no contest when solid muscle slams into fat.

drinking.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:

The only ones that have caused dissension on Stingtalk are the posters that have attacked him. These same posters get upset when another poster tries to be fair about our hiring and firing policies at GT.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ahsoisee: Ms.Tech did'nt say Chan Gailey has caused dissension on StingTalk. She said he causes dissension among long time Tech football fans. There is a difference. Now, Ylojk8 always resorts to name calling and insults. I've read as he and other posters have wrote about getting together and mixing it up which is what happens when you have someone like him coming onboard and making foolish post. I have always looked for reasons to be positive about Chan Gailey but as I have posted before whenever I want to believe in him something comes out to destroy it. This thread about the strength and conditioning coach not reporting to him caught me off guard as much as the academic mess and as best as I can tell from our forum here Father Wasp, Beebad, and Ms.Tech possibly from being close friends of people in the athlectic offices have some knowledge of the way things are done at Tech. So why should this information be discarded as 'drivel'? Ylojk8 carelessly insults whomever he pleases and whenever he pleases and will continue to do so. He does not discuss, he argues and insults. I very strongly feel he does not exhibit the class that I associate with Georgia Tech people. If that makes Ms.Tech, Beebad and myself stooges than so be it.

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ahsoisee:

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ahsoisee: Ms.Tech did'nt say Chan Gailey has caused dissension on StingTalk. She said he causes dissension among long time Tech football fans. There is a difference. Now, Ylojk8 always resorts to name calling and insults. I've read as he and other posters have wrote about getting together and mixing it up which is what happens when you have someone like him coming onboard and making foolish post. I have always looked for reasons to be positive about Chan Gailey but as I have posted before whenever I want to believe in him something comes out to destroy it. This thread about the strength and conditioning coach not reporting to him caught me off guard as much as the academic mess and as best as I can tell from our forum here Father Wasp, Beebad, and Ms.Tech possibly from being close friends of people in the athlectic offices have some knowledge of the way things are done at Tech. So why should this information be discarded as 'drivel'? Ylojk8 carelessly insults whomever he pleases and whenever he pleases and will continue to do so. He does not discuss, he argues and insults. I very strongly feel he does not exhibit the class that I associate with Georgia Tech people. If that makes Ms.Tech, Beebad and myself stooges than so be it.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Stateline: Thank you for clarifying that post for me - I would have thought it would be read as you read it.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ahso: Please read the post for what it was meant not what you want it to be - 'a one year coach' successfully causing such immense dissension amongst the long time diehard, faithful core of GT fans... very, very sad!

This is probably semantics, but I don't think Chan has caused anything. Braine may have with his decision to hire Chan, and the performance on the field of last year's team certianly has. Chan has to the degree you hold him responsible for those things and whether you believe they are signs of things to come or abberations based on a set of circumstances we faced last year. There was dissension the year before as well, primarily the disappointing year we had and the opening that gave some to voice their long felt issues with George. (just reporting I like George)

Let's face it there is always some dissension. But what it all comes down to normally is the won-loss record and the Ugag game. If we win most everybody will be happy with Chan, if we lose almost nobody will.

Statelinejacket and MsTA, you both are dead wrong.

The dictionary says, "dissension is disagreement that leads to discord".

Chan has not disagreed with the long time fans nor the board members on The Hive or Stingtalk.

The dissension comes from the attacks by those who disagree with the record of the season and the play of the Georgia and Fresno State games.
It is also caused by the attacks of you and the lynch mob who have set out to get rid of him.

The lynch mob is in the minority and is causing the dissension in the ranks and on the boards.
So, the truth is Gailey has not caused any of the dissension anywhere. It is the lynch mob faction out to destroy a man before he has a chance to prove himself.

Your biggest problem is you are afraid he will succeed if he has this year to prove himself. You talk with forked tongue. In one sentence you say you hope Tech wins, but you really hope Gailey fails.

There is no group causing more discord than the lynch mob.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Lynch mobs are for cowboy movies! This is a sports board talking about our likes, dislikes, opinions and hopes.

Let me remind you Ahso, because you have the time, look up every post and I mean every post I've done on Chan - I never said he should be FIRED I've said he is not the guy for the job. I've said what I didn't like, but didn't call for his head - he has to earn my backing...I've said it all along. But until he does - I will have those opinions. If he can't cut here, I will continue to say so.

I've also said the many, many (only a few in your facts) of us who don't believe he's the one for this job will not be the decision makers - his bosses will be or $$$ contributors.

Back