The Diesel # 21 hating on Tech

MacDaddy2

Damn Good Rat
I think he had best focus his efforts on either a) pushing away from the table so he can actually play in the NFL or b) pull up to the table and complete the transition to the weight of an OG.

He should not be concerned about what is going on at GT and sure as hell shouldn't be downplaying what GT brings to the table.

Wonder if he is pissed that GT isn't looking at little brother?

lonestarjacket

Dodd-Like
I think he had best focus his efforts on either a) pushing away from the table so he can actually play in the NFL or b) pull up to the table and complete the transition to the weight of an OG.

He should not be concerned about what is going on at GT and sure as hell shouldn't be downplaying what GT brings to the table.

Wonder if he is pissed that GT isn't looking at little brother?
:offtopic:

This thread is now about past GT RBs and players, comparisons and how they were recruited.

Seriously, everything that could be said has been said on the original topic, good or bad. We don't need anyone else chiming in with a repetition of at least 5 other identical posts in this thread alone.

InDoddwetrust

Varsity Lurker
really disappointed about

people bashing one of our own. Two Wrongs don't make a RIGHT. Let's face it, the majority of the Tech population, athletes excluded, are nerds whou could care less about football. Therefore, our fanbase is a small one, but very passionate.

I agree with Jon that fans should support the team NO MATTER their record. It doesn't hurt to win a lot of games, but the true backers will show no matter what the win-loss record is.

feelinthesting

Varsity Lurker
I moved to the Atlanta area over 25 years ago and 'adopted' Tech as the college program I would root for (I found UGA fans obnoxious). Maybe we need to start another thread on this, but I have always felt that the GTAA doesn't do nearly enough to embrace what I believe to be the key to getting more sidewalk fans...ATLANTA.

I am very active in youth football, and this is a HUGE enterprise in Atlanta. Even though most play on Saturday, I have asked the ticket office several times for significant discounts for tickets for youth football players and cheerleaders, to no avail. Perhaps even arranging some youth games to be played before or after the Jackets play would put additional fannies in the seats from the area. Maybe we will only see a few hundred or more, but at least we could get the YOUTH of the area (and their parents) to become Jacket fans. Let's be honest (those of you who live in the Atlanta area), how many kids do you see wearing GT spiritwear? In an area with so many transplants (as opposed to other parts of Georgia), there should be SOME effort to turn this folks into Jacket fans. Heck, I've seen more billboards for Auburn and Tennessee in parts of Atlanta than I've seen for GT.

The alumni base will always be where the majority of the fans come from, but why can't we get a few fans from a metropolitan area with 4 million folks.

You have to give to get. Maybe bigger discounts for youth organizations and government (city, state & federal) workers (I wonder who was the last Atlanta mayor to come to a GT football game). Maybe we need to attract the young urban population with pre-game, halftime or post-game concert from the city that has become the hip-hop music capital of the South.

These are just a couple of suggestions. I came to Atlanta as a sports fan wanting to root for a local sports team. I was attracted to GT because of the academic reputation of the school (I'm and Ivy League grad) plus quality athletics. This isn't enough for most transplants, admittedly, but the effect for me is that my kids now also root for the Jackets.

I think we ignore our biggest resource...Atlanta. Instead, we allow rural Georgia to talk down about one of the most dynamic cities in the country. We also allow our alumni to ignore the majority of citizens in this city, because most don't look like the GT alumni base. More fans in the stands and the excitement that creates is something the athletes who are being recruited are looking for, and something the athletes who are playing here want. Unfortunately, JD may have shown us that it is something that our former athletes really missed.

beej67

new around here
I do think that there's some NCAA rules that come into play once you start talking about giving away free or cheap tickets to high schoolers.

MtownJacket

Dodd-Like
I do think that there's some NCAA rules that come into play once you start talking about giving away free or cheap tickets to high schoolers.
Yea, especially youth football.

What we could do is market the 10+ discount to groups like this because it is available to the general public.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
feelinthesting, you should send an e-mail to Radakovich. From the times I've e-mailed him, he's always read and responded legitimately so I'm sure he'd be interested to hear what you have to say.

AE 87

Dodd-Like
feelinthesting, you should send an e-mail to Radakovich. From the times I've e-mailed him, he's always read and responded legitimately so I'm sure he'd be interested to hear what you have to say.
+1 feelinthesting, I think you've got some great ideas there. Of course, I'd have to let someone else figure-out how to combine ATL hip hop with a Cobb County family friendly event.

TechinItEasy

Dodd-Like
I moved to the Atlanta area over 25 years ago and 'adopted' Tech as the college program I would root for (I found UGA fans obnoxious). Maybe we need to start another thread on this, but I have always felt that the GTAA doesn't do nearly enough to embrace what I believe to be the key to getting more sidewalk fans...ATLANTA.

I am very active in youth football, and this is a HUGE enterprise in Atlanta. Even though most play on Saturday, I have asked the ticket office several times for significant discounts for tickets for youth football players and cheerleaders, to no avail. Perhaps even arranging some youth games to be played before or after the Jackets play would put additional fannies in the seats from the area. Maybe we will only see a few hundred or more, but at least we could get the YOUTH of the area (and their parents) to become Jacket fans. Let's be honest (those of you who live in the Atlanta area), how many kids do you see wearing GT spiritwear? In an area with so many transplants (as opposed to other parts of Georgia), there should be SOME effort to turn this folks into Jacket fans. Heck, I've seen more billboards for Auburn and Tennessee in parts of Atlanta than I've seen for GT.

The alumni base will always be where the majority of the fans come from, but why can't we get a few fans from a metropolitan area with 4 million folks.

You have to give to get. Maybe bigger discounts for youth organizations and government (city, state & federal) workers (I wonder who was the last Atlanta mayor to come to a GT football game). Maybe we need to attract the young urban population with pre-game, halftime or post-game concert from the city that has become the hip-hop music capital of the South.

These are just a couple of suggestions. I came to Atlanta as a sports fan wanting to root for a local sports team. I was attracted to GT because of the academic reputation of the school (I'm and Ivy League grad) plus quality athletics. This isn't enough for most transplants, admittedly, but the effect for me is that my kids now also root for the Jackets.

I think we ignore our biggest resource...Atlanta. Instead, we allow rural Georgia to talk down about one of the most dynamic cities in the country. We also allow our alumni to ignore the majority of citizens in this city, because most don't look like the GT alumni base. More fans in the stands and the excitement that creates is something the athletes who are being recruited are looking for, and something the athletes who are playing here want. Unfortunately, JD may have shown us that it is something that our former athletes really missed.
:bowdown:

gnats67

Dodd-Like
Just goes to show you what Stingtalk has become. Dede? Shouldn't never done it. Absolutely we wasted that much bandwith on a stoopid bitch?. Dood, Have you ever been married? What hand do you jack off with? Nobody wants to know about your freshmen problems!

optionqb

Flats Noob

Very good ideas.

stinger78

Jacket by the grace of God.
GTAA used to discount tickets to youth football teams in the Atlanta area for selected games.

Tech Guru

Varsity Lurker
Makes perfect sense. tech's fan base is pathetic players do not want to play in front of a half way filled stadium especially when it only hold 55,000? Hurts recruiting in a big way there is no excitement like there is at other colleges much less a cf atmosphere. You tell them dwyer about time someone does

stinger78

Jacket by the grace of God.
Makes perfect sense. tech's fan base is pathetic players do not want to play in front of a half way filled stadium especially when it only hold 55,000? Hurts recruiting in a big way there is no excitement like there is at other colleges much less a cf atmosphere. You tell them dwyer about time someone does
Wow. Just wow.

alpha

Dodd-Like
Let's put aside the argument that comparing fanbases is like comparing apples to oranges. But seriously, since when has the "I don't want to play because we don't have enough fans" become a good excuse?

What happened to the concept of playing for your team? Playing for your coaches? Playing for your family? Most importantly, playing for yourself? Do the players have no pride in themselves?

It doesn't matter if there are 0 fans in the stands or a million of them. If you are always making excuses about not having enough fans, you are focusing on the wrong thing.

This whole "our fans suck" thing is just an excuse for a bad season. Having a million fans in the stands wouldn't have helped all those dropped passes, fumbles, and missed tackles. It really wouldn't have.

Ridiculously Stupid Excuse said:
NFL scout: "So tell me about the time you fumbled here and what you think the problem was..."

Player: "Oh, there were only 48,000 fans in the stands instead of 55,000... so that's why I didn't wrap up the ball there."

NFL Scout: "..."

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
woof woof