The Diesel # 21 hating on Tech

I will still say today my 4 years at Tech were some on my best memories on The Flats and I played before 20,000 fans and played to a packed house. That place is just special. I'm one of the ones that never cared if they booed and we sucked a couple of years bad. But man when they showed up they really got behind us. Our offensive line used to get dog cussed by the defensive parents but never bothered me as we were doing the best we could with what we had. Go back and look at Gary big play Lee's TD run against the nutlickers in 85 or the ut missed FG in 86 to win or the big 0 that the black watch put on unc in 85. Man those are memories that I will never forget. Fans pay good money to see a great product and if we don't provide they have reason to be pissed. Off my soapbox now.

Thank you for your service to Tech RM. Also, thank you for the class you exhibit. The young guys could learn a lot from you.:bowdown:

I will still say today my 4 years at Tech were some on my best memories on The Flats and I played before 20,000 fans and played to a packed house. That place is just special. I'm one of the ones that never cared if they booed and we sucked a couple of years bad. But man when they showed up they really got behind us. Our offensive line used to get dog cussed by the defensive parents but never bothered me as we were doing the best we could with what we had. Go back and look at Gary big play Lee's TD run against the nutlickers in 85 or the ut missed FG in 86 to win or the big 0 that the black watch put on unc in 85. Man those are memories that I will never forget. Fans pay good money to see a great product and if we don't provide they have reason to be pissed. Off my soapbox now.

mover, you played through some tough times, my man. None of these guys today can even begin to relate to your first couple of years. The game has changed though, and players are more focused on all the adoration that goes on around the game, it seems.

BTW, have I ever mentioned that I listened to that Clemson game in 1984 on the radio in Columbia, SC? You should have heard those CU announcers crying! It was beautiful.

While I earned my nickname for that game, I've always said that Tony Kepano and John Thomas played a huge role in our scheme. Dude was 400+ lbs lol, when he got in his stance his belly hit the carpet. Pretty comical at the time.

Sorry, but I need a story of breaking down in tears (of joy, I assume) when you chose GT over UGA to put you in the same category as ELI. But you will NEVER have awesome mutton chop sideburns like he had; no matter how hard you try.

While I earned my nickname for that game, I've always said that Tony Kepano and John Thomas played a huge role in our scheme. Dude was 400+ lbs lol, when he got in his stance his belly hit the carpet. Pretty comical at the time.

You know, I've read those words from you a couple of times, I do believe. There's another example of old-style football, that understands that you're just one of eleven on the field at the time. A POV all too scarce today, if you ask me.

It went out with Jimmy Johnson's Miami teams of the mid 80's.

Sorry, but I need a story of breaking down in tears (of joy, I assume) when you chose GT over UGA to put you in the same category as ELI. But you will NEVER have awesome mutton chop sideburns like he had; no matter how hard you try.

You will never know the lengths and pressure's that the nutlickers put on me to commit to them. Ellijay is 90% nutlickers too boot. It wasn't a pretty sight when I chose Tech. Tarkenton told me is would be the biggest mistake of my life and I would always regret it. UT hung up on me 3 times (before we had caller ID). Letters of hate and threatening my dads business that was sent to the NCAA. It got ugly. But I'm sure it was harder for much better players than me at the time.

I don't know what Dwyer is complaining about. I don't recall a lot of booing inside the stadium that wasn't directed at the other team or the refs.

As for the message board stuff, GT fans are pretty mild with their expectations compared to some of the other fanbases out there. I remember there was one WR at UGAg several years back that they were practically ready to tar and feather because of a few critical dropped passes. We don't get the extreme redneck fringe fan like a lot of these schools do.

I am in the minority at GT, I believe, as a sidewalk fan. It'd be much easier just to go be a UGAg fan in this state just as I suppose it is easier just to commit and play at UGAg - you aren't gonna get grief for your decision.

Jon.... Making that Facebook post was dumb... You should never have posted it. Nothing you do on there is private and its human nature to blow things out of proportion.....

Additionally, learn how to spell on @ least a second grade level if you want people to respect you.

Stingtalk... You should have killed this thread days ago.

Jon.... Making that Facebook post was dumb... You should never have posted it. Nothing you do on there is private and its human nature to blow things out of proportion.....

Additionally, learn how to spell on @ least a second grade level if you want people to respect you.

Thanks Captain Hindsight!

See, and all this time I thought it was all you. I bet next you'll be telling us you had help when you saved that busload of children too. Just don't try to tell me there ain't no Santa. That's where I draw the line.

It really all boils down to this - a former student athlete who is now in the pros should think twice about speaking in a negative way in a public forum about his school and/or its fans. And, if he does, he should expect some negative fallout from those fans.

If only someone would have told us days ago! :hyper:

You will never know the lengths and pressure's that the nutlickers put on me to commit to them. Ellijay is 90% nutlickers too boot. It wasn't a pretty sight when I chose Tech. Tarkenton told me is would be the biggest mistake of my life and I would always regret it. UT hung up on me 3 times (before we had caller ID). Letters of hate and threatening my dads business that was sent to the NCAA. It got ugly. But I'm sure it was harder for much better players than me at the time.

Biggest mistake of your life? Such drama. My opinion of Tarkenton just dropped a bit.

I honestly just found that story of ELI changing his commit to UGA because he didn't really want to go there and was just submitting to pressure. (Somewhere deep inside he just knew it was wrong. :-))

Such recruiting pressure is stupid to me. If you have NFL talent then that will shine through no matter where you go. The only players (seeking the NFL) who need to worry about where they go are those who are marginal. And then they have to balance the prestige of the program versus the odds they won't be good enough to get playing time.

I would advise players to go where they want assuming the NFL is not an option. Because the NFL will be there anyway (no matter where you are) if it is meant to be; and if it isn't then make sure you are at the right school for you.

We're sorry.:ohnoes:

Great memories for us who were students then too! Thanks!

Oh my god! Captain Hindsight, thank goodness your here.

Biggest mistake of your life? Such drama. My opinion of Tarkenton just dropped a bit.

Tarkenton is a scumbag that has been in legal trouble for screwing folks out of money. You should have had a low opinion of him before this.

Bill Curry also had a run in with UGAg recruiters during his recruitment - if I remember correctly. He wanted to be near his wife Carol - who was going to attend Agnes Scott - so he chose GT, even though his grandad (I think) supposedly was Wally Butts barber (something like that). I believe he said they practically held him hostage screaming at him and applying pressure to get him to Athens. Love won out and GT got Curry. THWG.

What Dwyer said was a 2 way street. He could have gone to ugag or tennesissy and would be receiving death threats for his actions in his last game.

Back