The Diesel # 21 hating on Tech

The 'alumni effect' is a popular one, but you should all realize that a significant part of GT and uga fans are not even alumni.

It's definitely part of it though, probably the majority of the difference between UGA's attendance and GT's attendance.

Sidewalk fans help bid up the prices, but even if UGA only sold tickets to alumni and their families, they would sell out the stadium for the right price. And FWIW, the only people I know with season tickets to UGA also went there.

I certainly hope that the team doesn't share this sentiment. It's very much like Hewitt saying the tit has become an easy place to play because we don't field winning teams. He's right that it's an easy place to play, but he has the causation reversed.

This is exactly what the players are talking bout. Here you go "I'm a Tech elitist, he need to correct his grammar" bull****. Take it for it is worth and understand what he saying. Get on these boards everyday bitching and moaning bout why we can't get elite recruits, why we can't take the next step in becoming a great team, when you fans are not doing your part. Guys, this is your former 4* RB, who you loved and adored, showing displeasure with the fan with another 4* saying he like this status. And what y'all fail to realize is that in the social media world, I can promise you guys like Vad Lee and Jabari Hunt-Days are FB friends or they are following Dwyer on Twitter and when they see stuff like this it will make think and wonder why should I come to Tech if the players are/were don't like it. Maybe it is time to look in mirror my friends.

This is exactly what the players are talking bout. Here you go "I'm a Tech elitist, he need to correct his grammar" bull****. Take it for it is worth and understand what he saying. Get on these boards everyday bitching and moaning bout why we can't get elite recruits, why we can't take the next step in becoming a great team, when you fans are not doing your part. Guys, this is your former 4* RB, who you loved and adored, showing displeasure with the fan with another 4* saying he like this status. And what y'all fail to realize is that in the social media world, I can promise you guys like Vad Lee and Jabari Hunt-Days are FB friends or they are following Dwyer on Twitter and when they see stuff like this it will make think and wonder why should I come to Tech if the players are/were don't like it. Maybe it is time to look in mirror my friends.
Who needs to look in the mirror? This is a message board dedicated solely to Georgia Tech sports. Who exactly do you think you're preaching to? Almost all of us who live in Georgia go to the games.

I didn't think Dwyer was all that his last year, in fact he was fat for GT and the Steelers and the combine. It doesn't do him any good to get on facebook and bitch. Does nothing to help.

I bust my ass for the last 5 years at GT, beating up my body at times, and don't see a crowd of fans cheering me on. I'm also not going to get a 1.3m contract with a $77k signing bonus. The idea that the football team is "owed" fans is ludacris. What have they done personally to try and get more fans to come to games?

Btw, I was at every single game in 2009 and I don't go there. I watched every dingle game in Denver this year. I am buying 2 season tickets next year. I don't need to look in the mirror. If players can't take what is written on a message board much of which is probably true, then they dont need to be professional players. If we talk about you on here negatively prove us wrong on the field. Dont show up fat to camp.

I hear what he is saying, and I hear what you are saying.. but its directed at the wrong people and its ****ing stupid to make that post to boot knowing that true diehard GT fans are probably the ONLY GT fans who are following Dwyer's facebook page.

Its not the fans on these boards that need to be better fans, its the fact that we need MORE FANS!

This reminds me of a story I saw on TV a few years back about a former FSU player who felt that he was used solely for his football talents. He graduated with some awful degree, washed out of the NFL and wound up wiping old people butts in a nursing home b/c he couldnt find a job.

I am sure that guy was glad he played in a sold out stadium every game of his college career.

I didn't go to Tech, but he does need to look at his grammar because it makes him look like a fool. That isn't elitist. That's just a plain fact. If you want to be taken seriously, you need to know how to spell words we all learned in elementary school.

You're preaching to the choir. Most people on this board have season tickets. Most of the older guys have been going to Tech games before Jon was born. It's fine if he feels this way, but I don't see how posting it on his facebook helps the situation.

And like I said in my previous post: His premise is correct on Uga and Tenn, but incorrect on Gameday.
You don't need to sell out to get on gameday. You need to be a top tier team, playing a game of national interest. That doesn't fall on the fans. That falls on the players.

I've been drunk and wrote on facebook too. It happens from time to time. I'm going to assume that's what is going on here.
:biggthumpup:

I'm good with this explanation as well.

Wasn't the stadium much larger at one part? Was it always sold out then? (too young then to know)

It was about 60k in the 1960s when we were winning national championships and there weren't any pro sports in the entire southeastern united states.

At least Dwyer cares enough to tweet about GT. I wouldn't roast him too badly over it. Sometimes the truth hurts.

So we should celebrate college football players more? Really? They need 80000 fans instead of 40000 fans? Give me a break--how narcissistic can you be? Sorry your level of fame is not enough for you. I went through Tech and I didn't have one ****ing fan.

Also, you are getting a helluva better degree at Georgia Tech than you are in any team in the SEC save Vandy who is closest, imagine that. Correlation much? The toughest school in the SEC is also the bottom feeder. Says more about the players than the school.

I love Georgia Tech for what it is. If the players dont **** them we need to find players that love it the same way I do and who want an education 100 times better than that spoonfed **** at UGA, UF, and Bama

There is just one very obvious question no one asked so far and I'm afraid of what the answer could be...

What triggered this post by Dwyer anyway?

Jon Dwyer yeaa john i hear but if u want them to expand the stadium ppl have to come ...thats what happens everywhere man when they see fans come and they are consistent...they will have to upgrade the stadium its common sense...if B-Rad saw that they would make changes until then...it wont happen bc are fans aren't loyal im not saying u aren't but other ppl arent and its effecting the players right now bc they feel like the fans dont give a **** about them...

Jon Dwyer man its not the students..its the other fans...the alumni and so called die hard gt fans...who can run up and ask for a autograph but dont give a hell about us...they just want a autograph

Whatever.

What else can I freaking do? I buy tickets, I show up to games, I only leave early if the team has already quit. I'm trying my hardest to free up the money necessary to go to SHREVEPORT even though I'm supposed to be in RICHMOND the day before, exactly 10 hours drive the opposite freaking direction.

What am I supposed to do? Take a damn 2nd mortgage out on my house so I can buy more tickets and give them to orphans? Oh, wait, I can't do that because of the economy, but if Dwyer had taken his off season workouts seriously he could buy a thousand season tickets with his freaking signing bonus. And better ones than I've got I'm sure.

So what's he do now? Bitch and moan in public? Well guess what Mr. Dwyer, your comments on Facebook are more damaging to recruiting than anything I have done, can do, or ever will achieve in my entire life. I'm just a meaningless fan, a face in the crowd. You're an ambassador. Act like it.

Back