The Geoff Collins Effect!

So the master of the flexbone finished 24-25 since the OB and you’re really trying to convince us that his understudy Monken would’ve took a lesser team to better results? That an OL of Quinney, Jump, Minihan, McKeehan, Lay or Larry Dowdy would’ve been competing in the ACC?

Perfect Option QBs? By what standard? Tobias had a nice game vs. USF, but cmon mane. TO couldn’t beat out Marshall and he refused to pitch the ball. Would Graham even be in school with Monken and Yates showed he didn’t have the wheels. He probably would’ve been Tevinesque

Why y’all always forget to mention defense & ST when mentioning the TO coaches? Would it be 14 straight years of bad defenses and hoping that the O would overcompensate?
The want of defense and recruiting overall was inexcusable no doubt. You'd have to get deep into CPJ's head to try and see where he was coming from on these issues. It seems like he was rolling the dice. Just keep at the table and you'll get lucky like at GaSo. Didn't really work out at the D1 P5 level and it forced his retirement. Am I getting this wrong?

The want of defense and recruiting overall was inexcusable no doubt. You'd have to get deep into CPJ's head to try and see where he was coming from on these issues. It seems like he was rolling the dice. Just keep at the table and you'll get lucky like at GaSo. Didn't really work out at the D1 P5 level and it forced his retirement. Am I getting this wrong?
Didn't work out? Two Orange Bowl appearances, the first since 1966. Are you kidding?

Didn't work out? Two Orange Bowl appearances, the first since 1966. Are you kidding?
Yeah, I didn't mean to say CPJ was a bad coach. He's a legend in my opinion and we were lucky to have him. It obviously didn't work out out long term tho mainly due to his lackadaisical attitude towards recruiting. Recruiting for his 'special system' just didn't work out at the P5 level. l'd love to see CPJ emerge somewhere at the FCS level. Western Carolina? Somewheres and be successful. I think he gave it his guts but he couldn't make it happen at TECH and I personally feel it was largely due to that idiot that he was bonded to on the offensive line. Just my opinion. Clearly a waste of space but some sort of inseparable buddies or something. The offensive line play was offensive (see Texas or Oklahoma back in the good ole days) and there was no excuse for how mediocre we were other than coaching. Everybody could see it. The line coaching sucked. But CPJ wouldn't do anything about it anymore than he would recruit a kicker. He just obstinately would not do it. Therefore we wound up with this bowl here and an Orange Bowl there. Not success but better than a pissing contest. Sorry. Not good enough.

Not success? What other Tech Coach since Alexander, Heisman and Dodd have done appreciably better? It has been over 50 years since Dodd retired. Ross had the MNC but overall, record wasn't any better. So please define what you mean by "make it happen at Tech"?

Since Dodd? Are you kidding? Brother, maybe you don't understand. The Dodd era was entirely different. It wasn't "Orange Bowl." TECH was one of the top teams in the land. UGAg feared us. We owned them more times than not. What we've had since is nowhere close. Can we get back to those days of glory? Why not? Why shouldn't we?

You obviously don't subscribe to those recruiting services, or if you do, you don't read what Quinlan et al write. Rivals and 247 both said that their rankings have yet to be changed to reflect the transfer portal and the effect it has on signing classes. ie...if you sign less than 20 high school players, you're penalized.

I'm not defending Collins' coaching job but we most definitely are NOT playing in the same end of the talent pool. To make that claim is ludicrous. For instance, we signed 2 4-star defensive tackles this year...the first time that has ever happened in the history of Georgia Tech football.
It was Dec of last year when 247 started ranking portal players and created an overall ranking that included both HS recruits and transfers. I created a thread about it at that time. We are #42 in the overall which today shows 15 HS and 15 transfer(and yes it still penalizes in the HS composite for less than 20)

The Dodd era was entirely different.
I would like you to reread you quote here and think about that. The Dodd era WAS entirely different. The college football landscape, and Tech's position in it WAS entirely different. Dodd in his prime would struggle with what we are working with and against these days. I would love to get back to winning like that, but you have to realize how completely different the playing field is now from what it was then and adjust your expectations to match.

Yeah, I didn't mean to say CPJ was a bad coach. He's a legend in my opinion and we were lucky to have him. It obviously didn't work out out long term tho

Therefore we wound up with this bowl here and an Orange Bowl there. Not success but better than a pissing contest. Sorry. Not good enough.

It what world did coaching not work out long term for CPJ? He did it for 40 something years, won national championships, conference titles, BCS bowls, and national coach of the years. He’s a hall of famer, but it didn’t work out?

Also, ho hum, a bowl here and an orange bowl there. Didn’t seem like much at the time, did it?

Since Dodd? Are you kidding? Brother, maybe you don't understand. The Dodd era was entirely different. It wasn't "Orange Bowl." TECH was one of the top teams in the land. UGAg feared us. We owned them more times than not. What we've had since is nowhere close. Can we get back to those days of glory? Why not? Why shouldn't we?
Dodd had a 12-10 record against UGA. Hardly owned them but we'd certainly take that today. Only O'Leary and Johnson have had any measure of success against them of recent years.

Can we get back to those years? Easy answer: Not with a clown running the show.

Can we get back to those years? Easy answer: Not with a clown running the show.
Then by your definition, Johnson must have been a clown, too.
Bahata GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

People tend to forget the last few years of rule changes that seemed to unfairly target CPJ's offense blocking scheme. Also every Tech coach has had since I became aware of Tech football either got fired or quit on them. Curry, Ross, O'Leary all quit on Tech in the end. CPJ got fed up and decided to quit and take his ball home with him. Dude is old enough and decided to pursue other adventures in life, good for him.

I guess CPJ should have found out who CGC was and what offense he ran and started recruiting for the spread option a few years before he decided to hang it up.

I think CPJ's recruiting was on par to what it normally was for the type of offense he ran. Yates could have been a stud option QB in that offense. But that is water under the bridge.

Now we just have to endure one more season of the tap dancing clown. Hopefully these new coaches can coach while tap dancing Geoff puts on his show.

Why do you always take this back to Johnson. Dude, he quit. He's gone! His replacement is terrible but has nothing to do with him. Let Coach Johnson go.
Well he has to blame someone. If he has not seen the ineptitude of the current coach over the last three years then he is just not looking.

People tend to forget the last few years of rule changes that seemed to unfairly target CPJ's offense blocking scheme. Also every Tech coach has had since I became aware of Tech football either got fired or quit on them. Curry, Ross, O'Leary all quit on Tech in the end. CPJ got fed up and decided to quit and take his ball home with him. Dude is old enough and decided to pursue other adventures in life, good for him.

I guess CPJ should have found out who CGC was and what offense he ran and started recruiting for the spread option a few years before he decided to hang it up.

I think CPJ's recruiting was on par to what it normally was for the type of offense he ran. Yates could have been a stud option QB in that offense. But that is water under the bridge.

Now we just have to endure one more season of the tap dancing clown. Hopefully these new coaches can coach while tap dancing Geoff puts on his show.

Dodd coached for Alexander and some of the guys that followed grew up under Dodds teaching. If we had picked up monken we would've followed in that vain, but it seemed like a couple of bad years soured the fanbase on what had largely worked for over a decade.

Really? You don't think a losing record over his past 4 years is trending downwards? Ummm...ok.

I think thats an unfair characterization. 15 is well understood to be an aberration and 16 was a better than average year. We're really talking about 2 mediocre years where we struggled to find an identity at qb. That hardly seems to be a trend and at 6.5 wins isn't far from average. We had recruiting woes that showed up after cpj, particularly on the lines, although the lack of institutional support and budgets seems to be the biggest cause IMHO.

We.dont have to continue on this path though. It seems like this is a circle where everyone becomes more entrenched.

I think thats an unfair characterization. 15 is well understood to be an aberration and 16 was a better than average year. We're really talking about 2 mediocre years where we struggled to find an identity at qb. That hardly seems to be a trend and at 6.5 wins isn't far from average. We had recruiting woes that showed up after cpj, particularly on the lines, although the lack of institutional support and budgets seems to be the biggest cause IMHO.
To my understanding, Johnson was offered more institutional support (aka recruiting budget) if he would get rid of 2 assistants, one of them being Sewak. And he refused to let him go. And I also recall most of the people on this and other boards lamenting for years that they didn't understand why Paul wouldn't fire Sewak, based on the performance of the O Line and the lack of recruiting.

The reason he wouldn't fire him is because Sewak was one of his best friends.

To my understanding, Johnson was offered more institutional support (aka recruiting budget) if he would get rid of 2 assistants, one of them being Sewak. And he refused to let him go. And I also recall most of the people on this and other boards lamenting for years that they didn't understand why Paul wouldn't fire Sewak, based on the performance of the O Line and the lack of recruiting.

The reason he wouldn't fire him is because Sewak was one of his best friends.
Agreed that Sewak sucked, although Brent is doing his best to make him look halfway decent by comparison. Do you have any source for this claim about being offered more support in exchange for firing assistants? Who was the other assistant they wanted fired? Is support being witheld by the AA for Geoff retaining his buddy Thacker who is at least an order of magnitude worse?

Back