this is our punishment because stansbury did not support johnson

GTRules

You’re Mamma
The fact is that Johnson was done. He had no players capable of winning games. He had t recruited linemen for three years. He hadn’t recruited defense for 11. He had no desire. He was finished. Through. Ded. He would have won no more games this year than Collins did. He got out while the getting was good.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I don’t worship the current coach. But I do fully support him and his staff. It is not fair to act like we had an all pro roster that was rolling along until PJ quit and the wheels came off with CGC. The team was not good last year and we are only a few years removed from an OB team only winning 3 games. Just because we went to a bowl last year by the skin of our nuts does not mean that team didn’t suck ass. Because it did. This year is more of the same. Hard to put all of that on Geoff.
Hard to put all on Geoff, but many posters find it easy to put it all on Johnson.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Hard to put all on Geoff, but many posters find it easy to put it all on Johnson.
The biggest thing I put on Geoff is the penalty clown show in the Citadel game. He needed to stamp that out much sooner. Most of the rest of the season has been undersized players getting pushed around at the LOS and bad “QB” play. Geoff has also had some coaching errors with timeouts and such, but I think that’ll improve over time as the players know what they’re doing.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
The fact is that Johnson was done. He had no players capable of winning games. He had t recruited linemen for three years. He hadn’t recruited defense for 11. He had no desire. He was finished. Through. Ded. He would have won no more games this year than Collins did. He got out while the getting was good.
That is simply wrong. In his last 2 years Johnson recruited 6 OL; which is probably less than average; but not way below average. It is like 1 less than Bama for example. There are close to 20 OL on the roster; they may not fit what Collins wants; but they are there. Graham and Mason probably would have made a good base to run his offense. I agree that CPJ had lost his desire though. His game day coaching just looked flat compared to the early years.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
I’m not trying to put it all on Johnson, but rather making a point that Collins was faced with a major roster disadvantage in year 1...a roster that was 98% built by his predecessor.

Collins made several mistakes in year 1 that I hope he learns from. Bad coaching/preparation cost us the Citadel game. Collins just shouldn’t shoulder the entire blame for 3-9 based on what he inherited.

I honestly don’t believe CPJ would have taken this team bowling either...there were just too many injuries, too many holes, too much inexperience.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
The biggest thing I put on Geoff is the penalty clown show in the Citadel game. He needed to stamp that out much sooner. Most of the rest of the season has been undersized players getting pushed around at the LOS and bad “QB” play. Geoff has also had some coaching errors with timeouts and such, but I think that’ll improve over time as the players know what they’re doing.
There have been some coaching issues like you mention, and some overall coaching issues; but maybe some of those issues get solved with a DL and new OL.

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
I don’t worship the current coach. But I do fully support him and his staff. It is not fair to act like we had an all pro roster that was rolling along until PJ quit and the wheels came off with CGC. The team was not good last year and we are only a few years removed from an OB team only winning 3 games. Just because we went to a bowl last year by the skin of our nuts does not mean that team didn’t suck ass. Because it did. This year is more of the same. Hard to put all of that on Geoff.
If anything, people need to take note of the difference in college football between the haves and the have nots. We are a have not taking on the journey to try and be a have. It is not an easy route.

GT65_UGA89

We’re a Coca-Cola school
A lot of Tech fans, alumni and season ticket holders really pussed out today. I knew a few who were trying to unload their tickets. Sad. Have to sack up and support the Jackets.

Ride or Die MF!
The couple who sit next to me, and have for more than a decade, were no-shows with about 5:00 to go until kickoff. Around that time, a couple, UGA fans, sat in their seats. I asked them immediately where they got their tickets -got them on line. The f’k.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
The couple who sit next to me, and have for more than a decade, were no-shows with about 5:00 to go until kickoff. Around that time, a couple, UGA fans, sat in their seats. I asked them immediately where they got their tickets -got them on line. The f’k.
Punch the man in the mouth first game next year and thank him for selling his tickets to uga fans.

gtg970g

Dodd-Like
Guy next to me came alone, wife refused to come. His kids sit in another section and sold all 4 of their tickets. I don't get why people bother buying season tickets if they aren't going to show up for the"biggest" game of the year.

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
Heres the thing: even when CPJ had his successful years he wasn’t growing the fan base. Squeezing more blood out of our limited stones is not a long term strategy. Part of a head coaches responsibility is donor relations. CPJ sucked at that.

Somehow we have to grow our fan base. We weren’t going to do that by bringing in another 3O coach. We had to try to bring in some flash.

You assholes bitching about Collins better hope he is successful because if he isn’t there’s going to be even less money for the program down the road. Our aging fan base will continue to die off with no one taking their place.

684Bee

Varsity Lurker
Haven't had season tickets in a few years. I put my own kids above the GT team apparently; because it is physically impossible to have my kid at practice this morning and be in Atlanta on the same morning.
Then call it a donation. Just pitiful the excuses people come up with to not support the program, and then come on here complaining about the results.

18in32

Petard Hoister
https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...ollege_football_where_does_syracuse_rank.html

Currently, 61 of 65.

I can do some re-digging but like 3 of the 4 below each are ahead of us in similar 2020 Initiatives drives.
Good link, thanks. A little poking around reveals those are 2017 numbers, and there are 2018 numbers now available, which seem to vary significantly from what was reported there. (Link to source data here)

Our football expenditures (per the DOE) increased by almost 50% from your 2017 link to the 2018 data (roughly from $17mil to roughly $25mil). Maybe we would still be near the bottom, I don't know. (By way of comparison, UGA's reported football expenditures went from $39mil to $44mil, an increase of 13%.

All that said, I'm not sure these are apples-to-apples numbers, because I don't think we know how schools handle a lot of the specifics (how are conference network revenues divided up, for example?). Obviously UGA spends way more than we do, but I wouldn't rely on these numbers for detailed analysis.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
I’m not trying to put it all on Johnson, but rather making a point that Collins was faced with a major roster disadvantage in year 1...a roster that was 98% built by his predecessor.

Collins made several mistakes in year 1 that I hope he learns from. Bad coaching/preparation cost us the Citadel game. Collins just shouldn’t shoulder the entire blame for 3-9 based on what he inherited.

I honestly don’t believe CPJ would have taken this team bowling either...there were just too many injuries, too many holes, too much inexperience.
Some people here don't think Johnson could ever go 3-9 for a season. He did, though, with all his own players.

No point in arguing with them.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Then call it a donation. Just pitiful the excuses people come up with to not support the program, and then come on here complaining about the results.
I call my donation to Alexander Thorpe a donation. :dunno:

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
Not putting it all on Johnson; but damn sure all on Johnson. Got it.
Are you literally retarded? I said the roster was all on Johnson. I'm not giving Collins a pass for some of the decisions he made but I also don't have my head so far up Paul Johnson's ass that I forget that he left us a roster that is 118th out of 131 Division 1 teams in height/weight measurements. There was only one P5 team in the entire country that was smaller than we are. Think about that. Vanderbilt, Utah, Minnesota, Duke, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers....yeah ALL of those football powerhouses are bigger than we are.

So yeah I'm willing to give Collins a bit more leeway when we travel 71 players to Virginia and 14 of those are walk-ons. Did you know that Henson Fowler, a walk-on defensive tackle, was out there today playing significant minutes against one of the top 4 teams in the country? Because we literally don't have anybody better than him at that point to step in and play? And people like you are gonna try and lay this off on Collins?

We were giving up over FIFTY pounds per player today when our defensive line was matching up against their offensive line. Is it really any wonder that they started gashing us in the second half? Hell, I'm just literally astounded that we were able to stop them at all in the first half since they should have been able to line up and just push us back 4 or 5 yards on every play. But yeah...that's all on Collins and not the coach who recruited all of those players onto the roster. Geesh...for people who went to Georgia Tech, we sure do have some friggin stupid fans.

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
Are you literally retarded? I said the roster was all on Johnson. I'm not giving Collins a pass for some of the decisions he made but I also don't have my head so far up Paul Johnson's ass that I forget that he left us a roster that is 118th out of 131 Division 1 teams in height/weight measurements. There was only one P5 team in the entire country that was smaller than we are. Think about that. Vanderbilt, Utah, Minnesota, Duke, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers....yeah ALL of those football powerhouses are bigger than we are.

So yeah I'm willing to give Collins a bit more leeway when we travel 71 players to Virginia and 14 of those are walk-ons. Did you know that Henson Fowler, a walk-on defensive tackle, was out there today playing significant minutes against one of the top 4 teams in the country? Because we literally don't have anybody better than him at that point to step in and play? And people like you are gonna try and lay this off on Collins?

We were giving up over FIFTY pounds per player today when our defensive line was matching up against their offensive line. Is it really any wonder that they started gashing us in the second half? Hell, I'm just literally astounded that we were able to stop them at all in the first half since they should have been able to line up and just push us back 4 or 5 yards on every play. But yeah...that's all on Collins and not the coach who recruited all of those players onto the roster. Geesh...for people who went to Georgia Tech, we sure do have some friggin stupid fans.
It’s because they eat the egg whites at Waffle House.