Tim Byerly

Wasn't Paul Johnson at Hudson Midtown for the radio show yesterday? Nobody thought to ask about this?

There was an odd comment on the radio show. Jim from Auburn asked about the typical practice schedule, and Johnson said that they "probably went full pads today". Why would that be a "probably"? Does Johnson skip practice sometimes?

So what's the dirt on his injury? Do we know anything yet?

I heard Jabari got hungry and accidentally chomped down on the knee while tackling TB. Subsequently, Jabari is now at 425 lbs....

I would assume (and hope) it's only a grade 1 if they are calling it a "sprain." A grade 2 or 3 is a torn ligament, which would most likely be reported instead of a sprain.

Nothing's been 'reported' yet AFAIK. Board talk from another side said 'sprain.'

I'm not sure this is all bad. Tim was a good insurance policy and he allowed CPJ to move Jordan to AB and redshirt Christian Campbell. Tim was only going to play during mop up and goal line situations unless JT gets hurt. If JT gets hurt we are not going to be spectacular no matter who you put in there, even though Tim gives us a fighting chance.

Hopefully Tim can come back and play but if he does not, we are forced to fast track the development of Jordan and or Campbell. That will make them better players faster than being a substitute A back and a scout team QB. That will pay dividends down the road. So you can look at this one as the glass half full or half empty. I think it can turn out good for us.

Go Jackets!

You are downplaying Byerly. He is very capable to run this offense. There is only one JT (duh), but our O can still hum with TB in there.

Agree this is bad news, but trying to put it in perspective. Maybe we have one of those 3rd string quarterbacks who wins championships. Is there anyone on the team who didn't come to play school?

Also saw on another site that the depth chart was issued yesterday morning, to be published today.

It was issued before the injury and lists him as #2.

I'm not worried about him sitting out for Tulane. We just keep Justin in for two more scores and then put #3 or #4 in to hand the ball off. I'd like to hope that Byerly is available vs ND if he gets a pregame shot of cortisone in the knee, and then I'd like to hope that we don't need him for it. Then I'd like to hope that he's good for half a game vs Duke in two and a half weeks.

Fingers crossed.

I'm not worried about him sitting out for Tulane. We just keep Justin in for two more scores and then put #3 or #4 in to hand the ball off. I'd like to hope that Byerly is available vs ND if he gets a pregame shot of cortisone in the knee, and then I'd like to hope that we don't need him for it. Then I'd like to hope that he's good for half a game vs Duke in two and a half weeks.

Fingers crossed.

Sounds like a plan to me. Usually a cortisone cocktail will do the trick...

Fingers crossed.

A sprained knee takes four weeks to heal, assuming it's a sprain worth talking about.

I'd like to hope that Byerly is available vs ND if he gets a pregame shot of cortisone in the knee, and then I'd like to hope that we don't need him for it. Then I'd like to hope that he's good for half a game vs Duke in two and a half weeks.

Fingers crossed.

I'd like to hope we need him for mop up duty in the 2nd half of the ND game.

If the Duke game last year is any indicator, Byerly is the better pass-first QB on our roster. Sure, JT can burn you when the running game is on schedule, but if we're down in the second half and suddenly need to throw a bunch, Byerly has proven he's our man.

I'm sure all sprained knees are different. I got one skiing when I was in my twenties and my #1 issue was the swelling and mobility. Not so much the pain.

If the Duke game last year is any indicator, Byerly is the better pass-first QB on our roster. Sure, JT can burn you when the running game is on schedule, but if we're down in the second half and suddenly need to throw a bunch, Byerly has proven he's our man.

He definitely gets the job done in the throwing game! But I think JT was just warming up last year. I think he might surprise us this year!

There was an odd comment on the radio show. Jim from Auburn asked about the typical practice schedule, and Johnson said that they "probably went full pads today". Why would that be a "probably"? Does Johnson skip practice sometimes?

He's a delegator, not a hands-on coach. Sometimes he watches practice via webcam from home.

Back