Votes: 24 10.1%

Votes: 28 11.8%

Votes: 49 20.7%

Votes: 88 37.1%

Votes: 28 11.8%
  • 1 or less

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
Just curious ... what are your six most likely candidates among the schedule for a win?
The six I could see us winning (in no particular order) are:

Western Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Clemson
North Carolina
UCF

Though I could see Pitt or Miami as well.

So we're keeping track, we've lost:
- Best RB
- Best WR
- 3 OL starters
- Best DE
- Starting DT
- Best LB
- 3 DB starters

Do what you will with that information.
I just realized I forgot to include our kicker and the guys we still have couldn't hit an XP before.

I will honestly be shocked if we win more than 2. We start 1-4 and the team quits.

The six I could see us winning (in no particular order) are:

Western Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Clemson
North Carolina
UCF

Though I could see Pitt or Miami as well.

Would add VPI. New coach and they went bargain shopping for a portal QB. It's the Coastal, so every division game is winnable.

7.5% believe we will have a winning season in early February. That is a pretty clear indication that hope has been lost. But, we will come back, eventually. The hill is not to steep to climb in ACC football. The right hire can turn things around.

Quoting myself from July of last year:

I don't foresee a bowl this season either. A lot of losses last year weren't close.

vs UCF: Loss by 4 touchdowns ... UCF finished 6-4 in the AAC
@ Syracuse: Loss by 2.5 touchdowns ... Syracuse didn't win another game all year
vs Louisville: Win by 2.5 touchdowns ... UofL finished 4-7
vs Clemson: Loss by over 9 touchdowns in what is easily the biggest loss of my entire lifetime
@ BC: Loss by 3 touchdowns
vs Notre Dame: Loss by 2.5 touchdowns
vs Duke: Win by 3.5 touchdowns
@ NC State: Loss by 1.5 touchdowns
vs Pitt: Loss by 2 touchdowns

Collins' teams tend to start slow. He lost to a FCS program early in the season both of his years at Temple. He then lost to Citadel and otherwise winless Syracuse at GT. I wouldn't automatically bank Kennesaw State or Northern Illinois given that Collins has a 1.000 batting average for having a humiliating upset in a season.

The strength of this coaching staff is suppose to be defense. They inherited a not-awful defensive roster. So far they've only gone in reverse while the talent level has been increasing. The defense clocked in at 88th nationally in defensive efficiency last season. Other teams in that neighborhood last season? Winless Kansas. Winless FIU. Winless Arizona.

What about the offense right? It showed flashes last year. It also had a nasty penchant for costly red zone turnovers and a few games where it may have not got off the bus. They finished 92nd in offensive efficiency last year. Other teams in that neighborhood? Winless NIU (over 10 spots higher). Winless UNLV. Winless Vanderbilt.

Where is a difference of 2 or 3 touchdowns a game going to come from in margin? That's what it will take to move the needle looking at last season. I think the consensus is they'll be better. A full touchdown a game better let alone three? You need a lot of gold on your glasses to be able to see that. If they had solutions to their problems I would have expected a little closer margin last year on defeats than the average margin of defeat which is nearly FOUR TOUCHDOWNS after you add in the Clemson game.

So where have things shifted in the last year?
vs Northern Illinois: 1 TD loss
vs Kennesaw State: 4 TD win
@ Clemson: 1 TD loss
vs North Carolina: 3 TD win
vs Pittsburgh: 4 TD loss
@ Duke: 1 TD win
@ Virginia: 1 TD loss
vs Virginia Tech: 2 TD loss
@ Miami: 1 TD loss
vs Boston College: 2 TD loss
@ Notre Dame: 8 TD loss
vs Clarke County Correctional: 7 TD loss

Conclusions:
- Everything imploded after the Pittsburgh game. The fluky ending of the Virginia game helps hide another 2+ TD loss. The Duke win was stolen by Adonicas Sanders almost by himself despite ACC-tastic ref work on the drive.
- GT shrank the margin from 2+ TDs to 1 TD against bad teams
- The margin against great teams increased from 5.75 TD per loss to 6.3 TD per loss
- They dropped from 88th to 112th in defensive efficiency
- They dropped from 92nd to 97th in offensive efficiency
- The above is despite the fact that more cupcakes were added to the schedule compared to the prior year when there were none.

At best it's a wash. At worst it's somehow unthinkably even worse this year. Coaching turmoil. Player exodus. It's pretty dark.

So looking at the schedule...

Win
vs Western Carolina
vs Duke

Toss-Up
vs Virginia
@ North Carolina

Loss
vs Clemson
@ Pittsburgh
@ Virginia Tech
@ Florida State
vs Miami

Ugly Loss
@ Clarke County Correctional
vs Ole Miss
@ UCF (it will be UCF's Super Bowl)

Pencil me in for 3 more wins in Geoff's final ride. Let's get this over with then hire Tashard Choice as head coach.

Pretty shocked to find that I am more optimistic than most here.

Quoting myself from July of last year:

So where have things shifted in the last year?
vs Northern Illinois: 1 TD loss
vs Kennesaw State: 4 TD win
@ Clemson: 1 TD loss
vs North Carolina: 3 TD win
vs Pittsburgh: 4 TD loss
@ Duke: 1 TD win
@ Virginia: 1 TD loss
vs Virginia Tech: 2 TD loss
@ Miami: 1 TD loss
vs Boston College: 2 TD loss
@ Notre Dame: 8 TD loss
vs Clarke County Correctional: 7 TD loss

Conclusions:
- Everything imploded after the Pittsburgh game. The fluky ending of the Virginia game helps hide another 2+ TD loss. The Duke win was stolen by Adonicas Sanders almost by himself despite ACC-tastic ref work on the drive.
- GT shrank the margin from 2+ TDs to 1 TD against bad teams
- The margin against great teams increased from 5.75 TD per loss to 6.3 TD per loss
- They dropped from 88th to 112th in defensive efficiency
- They dropped from 92nd to 97th in offensive efficiency
- The above is despite the fact that more cupcakes were added to the schedule compared to the prior year when there were none.

At best it's a wash. At worst it's somehow unthinkably even worse this year. Coaching turmoil. Player exodus. It's pretty dark.

So looking at the schedule...

Win
vs Western Carolina
vs Duke

Toss-Up
vs Virginia
@ North Carolina

Loss
vs Clemson
@ Pittsburgh
@ Virginia Tech
@ Florida State
vs Miami

Ugly Loss
@ Clarke County Correctional
vs Ole Miss
@ UCF (it will be UCF's Super Bowl)

Pencil me in for 3 more wins in Geoff's final ride. Let's get this over with then hire Tashard Choice as head coach.
Add Duke to the toss up category, unc is a 2 TD loss, Miami is borderline toss up. Don't hire based on the GT rolodex, we need a completely clean slate.

I went with 2 wins. The wheels have come off and we lost Gibbs and Choice while Gef retained Thacker. I would say the max number of wins we have will be 3, assuming we catch someone looking ahead.

TL;DR: @ClubSeats wishes he had a 4 inch pole.
TL;DR:
02781F80-1314-40A1-B116-22A2C24ADE4B.png

The worst number that we could win is what we'll pull off....5.

A ööööty season with just enough improvement that gives people hope and makes the decision makers yet again decide to kick the can down the road another year.

Still too far off from seeing things turned around, leading to a 5 win year 5 where everyone is standing around dazed and confused but finally we all agree the experiment is over.

This is not what I want but it's more realistic than the 7+ I think we need this year.

I predict 4.

Didn't make me happy to predict such a dire outcome. To all the posters who want us back in the SEC, do you really want to be Vanderbilt?

I was in the stands in 1981/1982 so I understand the lows. The landscape has changed so much that I can't really compare the two. But it seems to me that closing the gap is a lot harder then it used to be - this is not an accident - it is an intentional structural shift authored by the "big" programs.

Not sure where else to mention this but it does strike me as odd that GT is supposed to have all the millionaires but we are getting smoked by our enemy in Athens that, according to our narrative, should not have anything close to the financial resources that we do.

Perhaps the paradigm has permanently shifted. Seems like it has.
Little number times a big number < Big number times a little number. See IPTAY and/or 35k undergrads vs 10k, especially when the 35k care more and stay in Ga. Also, explains why USCe fills the stadium even when they suck. Yet another barometer--- a LOT more people shop at Walmart than Von Maur !

The worst number that we could win is what we'll pull off....5.

A ööööty season with just enough improvement that gives people hope and makes the decision makers yet again decide to kick the can down the road another year.

Still too far off from seeing things turned around, leading to a 5 win year 5 where everyone is standing around dazed and confused but finally we all agree the experiment is over.

This is not what I want but it's more realistic than the 7+ I think we need this year.
5 wins and he’s gone. Can’t possibly see him being retained with no bowl appearance.

I looked at the schedule and said, we really should be able to cobble up 4-5 wins, but then I thought about what has happened over the past month or so, and I thought back through the last 3 years and so, so many bumbling game day decisions and miscues, and I came away with little confidence that we can get past 3 wins. I actually chose "2", but 3 would not surprise me. I really don't believe that CGC is really self-aware enough to make the discipline and leadership changes that are required, and on D, there hasn't really been enough change in coaches yet, especially at the top, to make me believe they will do what is necessary. Maybe the O improves, and maybe the D improves somewhat (how can they get much worse?), but the gameday coaching and confusion on D doesn't change, so we lose games big and we lose games tight, as we have the past few years.

Can I get a redo on my vote? I didn't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I think I was being over- optimistic with 4. I want to change to 3, it is what I feel In my heart. I seriously think Tech can start 1-4 and totally fall apart at the seems.

Can I get a redo on my vote? I didn't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I think I was being over- optimistic with 4. I want to change to 3, it is what I feel In my heart. I seriously think Tech can start 1-4 and totally fall apart at the seems.
If we start 1-4, Collins is a dead man walking and TStan should be headed out the door.

Don't be a Debbie Downer. You didn't list all that we have returning!

- Our best QB
- 2 OL starters
- Our best punter
- Incoming recruiting class
- Incoming portal transfers
- OL coach
- D Coordinator
- Head Coach
- Best overall position coach and recuiter . . . uh, scratch that

not to mention . . .

- Kewl Invesco TV ads!!!
- Money Down
- ATL
- Juice!
- Waffle House
- State of the A . . . well, relatively new, anyway, artificial turf
- Blue Unis
- Possibly Blue Helmets
- a packed stadium
- A major city full of fans of our team
- a huge budget

- No Mickey Mouse high school offense
- the weakest conference opponents in P5
- GoGATech to put on his rose colored glasses and tell us how we didn't really lose anyone any good except he'll "give you" (grudgingly?) Gibbs, and the guys who remain are going to be ööööing spectacular in 2022!

With all that . . . how could we lose?
Don't forget we will now be throwing to the TEs

Back