UF signee wont report because UF can't come up with their NIL deal

$13M can’t be true. If it is, I don’t blame the kid for being swayed by that much money. And I don’t blame him for not showing up if he wasn’t promised $13M and he wasn’t going to be paid $13M.

Based upon this guy's recruiting, he's 100% in it for the highest bidder. I wouldnt sign this team cancer even if I had the $$$. It's a brave new NIL world we live in. Edit: Oh yeah, his deal was for $13M in NIL gooddam
UF got to keep up with the mutts to our east.

It won't be long until contracts are introduced. You can't do business with anything above a few grand without legal recourse.

It won't be long until contracts are introduced. You can't do business with anything above a few grand without legal recourse.
There are contracts usually, I think, between the player and whatever the NIL is being used for. Question is if you can sign one before you officially sign for the school? If not, could explain this situation. If there's no rule against it, then yeah you'll probably see pre-signing day contracts possibly, though I don't know if a contract with a 3rd party can stipulate someone has to sign with a specific school.

Anyone dumb enough to believe they were going to be paid 13mil in NIL doesn't seem very bright.
hope he got that in writing and signed by the school.
in the meantime someone should check to make sure junior isn't playing hopscotch on the freeway.

NIL is crazy. I was reading on a Tennessee baseball fan page the other day, someone was saying if you refuse to contribute to NIL you shouldn't even call yourself a fan. Said don't ask for autographs and don't cheer or wear gear because only true fans will financially support these athletes through NIL.

Everything I used to hate about pro sports and love about college sports, now exists in college sports but worse.
Crowd sourcing the subsidization of collegiate sports much like public school costs/supplies

Unless the NCAA changes the binding LOI the recruits sign to allow them to be contingent on a separate NiL deal the players don't have a lot of leverage once they sign the LOI.

There are contracts usually, I think, between the player and whatever the NIL is being used for. Question is if you can sign one before you officially sign for the school? If not, could explain this situation. If there's no rule against it, then yeah you'll probably see pre-signing day contracts possibly, though I don't know if a contract with a 3rd party can stipulate someone has to sign with a specific school.
Obviously the pre-signing day contract would have the stipulation that it is only valid if player x signs with college x. I wonder if all NIL deals are signed contracts?

Unless the NCAA changes the binding LOI the recruits sign to allow them to be contingent on a separate NiL deal the players don't have a lot of leverage once they sign the LOI.
I'm not sure the point of the LOI at this point anyway with the transfer rules. This kid could easily enroll for a day at UF then announce he is entering the transfer portal. He may miss out on the Spring practice given that he is an early enrollee but so what, he can just do training on his own. If someone was offering him $13mil to come to UF, I am sure he is going to get enough NIL money at another school to pay for the best trainers until he gets to his new school in the summer.

Does anyone in power care that the sport is dying? Is anyone trying to fix the problems?

I feel like things are on fire and no one is trying to put it out.

$13M can’t be true. If it is, I don’t blame the kid for being swayed by that much money. And I don’t blame him for not showing up if he wasn’t promised $13M and he wasn’t going to be paid $13M.

The average salary of NFL QB's is a little over $6M a year. I refuse to believe some high school kid will get more than double that before taking a single snap in college.

Crowd sourcing the subsidization of collegiate sports much like public school costs/supplies

It’s so ööööed up and it really rubs me the wrong way. As fans, we’re supposed to be the consumers of college sports entertainment. We contribute primarily by buying tickets, but media rights and stuff also put in a huge pot of money. Historically, big fans could go above and beyond to subsidize athletic operations with essentially charitable donations. Fair enough. The truly insane would throw in illegal money under the table.

But now they’ve created a system where the schools are also begging for fans to create NIL funds. I heard talk that GT “needs” $250 to $500K per year in NIL just to recruit and retain decent players for MBB alone. That’s gross and insane, and I’m not going to participate in it.

I don’t know what the endgame is all of this is, but it doesn’t seem like it’s going to be recognizable as the thing I’ve enjoyed following for most of my life.

JRjr

Does anyone in power care that the sport is dying? Is anyone trying to fix the problems?

I feel like things are on fire and no one is trying to put it out.

Well, it seems like the Supreme Court took the matter out of the NCAA’s hands. The government isn’t going to get involved in fixing what it broke via unintended(?) consequences, the NCAA doesn’t really have the power to regulate it, and the schools (especially the big powers) have no reason to want to fix it given that they have unlimited resources at their disposal.

Maybe mid-to-low tier schools (and their fans, when they realize they’ll never buy their way into upward mobility) will revolt and fall back to some kind of truly amateur league somehow. Maybe the whole sport goes NFL-lite with no pretense to amateurism and a lot of schools just drop out. I dunno.

JRjr

But now they’ve created a system where the schools are also begging for fans to create NIL funds. I heard talk that GT “needs” $250 to $500K per year in NIL just to recruit and retain decent players for MBB alone. That’s gross and insane, and I’m not going to participate in it.

I can’t even imagine paying $500 to retain our current MBB players or current recruits. Maybe Miles Kelly could get a free aquarium trip and/or a duffel bag full of athletic gear, but $500K is ridiculous for that group.

The night before NSD:
UF Troll Fan: "Uh...yeah this is Jalen? Err...I mean Jaden. Is this Jaden Rashada?"
JR: "This is Jaden"
UF Troll Fan: "Look dude, you don't want to go to Miami. I can give you 13 million reasons why you want to come to University of Florida and be a gator!"
JR: "Thirteen million? You're gonna give me 13 million to play for UF?"
UF Troll Fan: "Ab-so-lutely. Just sign with UF tomorrow and it's all yours."

Next day: Jaden Rashada signs with UF and starts looking for his money. Meanwhile, UF Troll fan:

Gameboyluke He Believed GIF - Gameboyluke He Believed I Told You - Discover  & Share GIFs

The average salary of NFL QB's is a little over $6M a year. I refuse to believe some high school kid will get more than double that before taking a single snap in college.
Might of also been a 4 year amount, not per year.

Obviously the pre-signing day contract would have the stipulation that it is only valid if player x signs with college x. I wonder if all NIL deals are signed contracts?
That is the big legal question: would a 3rd party entity (since the school can't do it directly) stipulating something like that hold up in court? I have no idea myself.

Back