Vad is gone! Transferring

He did the school a favor and it is best for him, don't see the need to be snarky about it. I just didn't think he was going to get that much better and it seems like our last few QBs have hung on all the way thru their senior year when you could see they weren't going to be any better. I'd like this to happen every time we start a soph and he doesn't improve that much over the year. He just never got smooth reading the option, needs to try something else before his time runs out and we need to try somebody else instead of staying with that 2 more years. It forces our hand to try something else, would have been hard with him here.

Like running the rocket toss 10 times a game straight into the opposing D?

Kelly Quinlan reported a "rumor" after the Clemson game (i think) that Vad Lee may be looking at transferring.

At the time I said the same thing you just did. I said if this is even remotely true and PJ plays him in particularly against UGA when a kid has one foot out the door, then he should be fired for incompetence.

the rumor was squashed almost immediately as it was reported. Then Vad went on a tear and played like a baller against UGA. I got no regrets.

Ultimately this is best for both parties.

I agree it is probably best for both parties. However, I stand behind my original statement. He played well for part of the UGA game, but ultimately we lost. I'd rather Justin had gotten the reps if this was known internally.

I agree it is probably best for both parties. However, I stand behind my original statement. He played well for part of the UGA game, but ultimately we lost. I'd rather Justin had gotten the reps if this was known internally.

Was play calling / formation more to his strengths in the UGA game?

It's best for both parties, yes. But, in the end, this is on CPJ for not being willing or flexible to change his offense to fit his players' skill sets.

Somewhere bonham has locked himself in a dark closet and is sucking on his woobie wearing his GT pajamas and hugging a framed picture of Vad Lee.

It's best for both parties, yes. But, in the end, this is on CPJ for not being willing or flexible to change his offense to fit his players' skill sets.

+1.

Vad could have been a complete bad ass in a system built around his skills (and with an OL that doesn't step on their dicks every snap). Because neither of these are going to happen under the Fuehrer, I guess this is best.

+1.

Vad could have been a complete bad ass in a system built around his skills (and with an OL that doesn't step on their dicks every snap). Because neither of these are going to happen under the Fuehrer, I guess this is best.

Real football doesn't work like a öööö video game where you hit a button and all 11 guys on the field knows exactly what to do and how to do it.

You can't design an offense specifically for one RS Sophomore and expect the other 10 guys on the field to be able to do their job.

What you can do is slowly transition into it which I believe is what we were trying to do. We have run more plays out of pistol this past season than I've ever seen. But somehow, that still didn't make us win more games. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

The next QB will have similar results as VL without OL blocking and everyone will question their abilities also

Real football doesn't work like a öööö video game where you hit a button and all 11 guys on the field knows exactly what to do and how to do it.

You can't design an offense specifically for one RS Sophomore and expect the other 10 guys on the field to be able to do their job.

What you can do is slowly transition into it which I believe is what we were trying to do. We have run more plays out of pistol this past season than I've ever seen. But somehow, that still didn't make us win more games. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

This. I laugh every time I hear that PJ needed to change his system to adapt to Vad. Vad knew exactly what offense he would be expected to run when he committed here. It goes both ways.

I imagine CPJ had a season end meeting with Vad, and laid it out for him. Likely that Vad's efforts were solid but the job was open in the Spring. PJ would have discussed the good and bad points Vad brought to the table, where improvement was needed, and his chances of truly succeeding in the system. As someone said above, full assistance could have been offered if Vad decided to transfer, and calls made to get him placed. This sounds like a mismatch of skills and system and the boss is always going to win. Now, I have no basis to swear to any of this, but ..........

I wish Vad well. I have no doubt he gave it his all and did what he could to help GT.

+1.

What style do suggest would fit Vad? Pro style ala UGA....nope. Read option ala Oregon....nope! Run first option ala Auburn.....nope! The kid was high school fast and ran a lot on broken plays. He doesn't like contact and he ain't no Andrew Luck so enlighten me!

Hell, I don't know. I don't get paid to know either. However, I am smart enough to know that some dumbass option system that requires the QB to drop back in a non throwing stance and then hop skip around to throw is not optimal when you really have no intent to run the option. It's particularly stupid when your OL sucks on top of that and you have the QB racing around behind the line trying to do his hop skips to get into throwing position with a DE in his face.

Best for everyone. PJ want going to use Vad to his strengths and he didn't put any kind of ol in front of him to block for him.

On the other hand Vad is not a triple option quarterback and he doesn't really have any place being the qb of this team.

Good night and good luck.

This. I laugh every time I hear that PJ needed to change his system to adapt to Vad. Vad knew exactly what offense he would be expected to run when he committed here. It goes both ways.

Friedgen always found ways to utilize strengths. I recall him putting in several TO plays in a few weeks between Navy and FSU. I think most coaches have packages that suit players and stick to those that fit the current players. We only have one package. We'll I guess we did put in the shotgun and it worked well against UNC and UGA. Didn't see it against VT because we needed to simplify because we weren't running the base offense good enough.

Back