Vad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand is why would NC State not want Vad Lee? They wanted him before. Did he burn some bridges with them? Why would he go to ECU over NCSU?

(Of course these questions are based on rumors...)

What I don't understand is why would NC State not want Vad Lee? They wanted him before. Did he burn some bridges with them? Why would he go to ECU over NCSU?

Good question. I talked about that same thing to several people at one of our high school state title games (Northern Guilford/Crest) in Chapel Hill last night.

It could be a ACC conflict thing :dunno:

It could be a ACC conflict thing :dunno:

Could be, but I can't figure out how that would work. We had a basketball transfer this year from FSU, so I know there's not a rule against it. And it's not like recruits sign non-compete agreements.

Oh, could it be that his first semester grades at Tech are so bad he can't get into NCSU?

Could be, but I can't figure out how that would work. We had a basketball transfer this year from FSU, so I know there's not a rule against it. And it's not like recruits sign non-compete agreements.

Oh, could it be that his first semester grades at Tech are so bad he can't get into NCSU?

It's up to GT. We could grant him a release as long as he doesn't go to another ACC school.

reading this thread. My thoughts

1 - who cares if he leaves. If he wants to leave because he has a problem missing a girlfriend he won't even know in 5 years, so be it.

2 - If he leaves because of that, then he is dumb, and mentally not totally strong, so with all do respect does anyone really want a QB leading their team with that type of mental makeup?

3 - he needs perspective. Much youth today lacks long term impact with short term vision problems

4 - Vad is potential. He hasn't done anything. No one, NO ONE saw him practice because they were all closed. So don't get on here and act like you know how he is performing from 3 scrimmages. STFU.

5 - He leaving only hurts GT because we lost a year in that position of development, depth and continuity. thats it. Some of you fools are acting like its Russell Wilson leaving.

6 - GT will never be able to consistently pass in this scheme. The QB can't get a rhythm passing 2 time a quarter. The passing game is deep balls, which are low percentage and feeds the lack of rhythm. Trying coming off the bench without playing and nailing a 3 in the 4Q. Oh and add to that getting punched in the shoulders all game running the option. Get over it. No QB in this scheme will be good passing, and even if they have a hope, the OL isn't set up to successfully pass block due to...yes you got it...scheme. If PJ WANTS to pass, he knows what he needs to do, he hasn't done it in 4 years.

7 - its a team game, but QB is important. This team has alot more issues than TW and his passing. We have a GCG combo that cannot get any push and establish the dive. How many 3 and 1's did we get blown back, or goalines we had to toss outside because we suck up the middle? HUGE problem with this scheme. The we can go into the DL and a very loose secondary scheme. Vad can't cure those issues.

8 - I do agree, next year we won't be much better as a team because unlike some I think we have a jimmy and joes problem; along with a scheme requiring a precision, at this level, that is tough to be consistent in (passing etc), and may have a worse record because of schedule. Again, not due to TW IMO. And Vad doesn't cure the problems.

Paul's unequivocal commitment to his scheme and not tweaking it may be his undoing. One thing that made Urban Meyer so cool at florida, was after his first year he realized his scheme doesn't totally work in big ball football and modified it in Chris Leaks second year in that program. He actually used more power I and play action vs spread option. Won the national title. Paul seems hell bent, partially due to creating this deal with the public, on not running shotgun/option plays, and working on a passing game that is conducive to higher completion rates. Stuff like allow OL 2 pt stances, allowing OL to zone block vs a pure scoop and cut scheme. How many times this year did you see a C or G on his belly shortly after the snap, whiffing on the cut block and totally removing himself from the play? Zone those once and a while, change it up. Not saying stop the cutting, saying change it up. We have alot, we can tweak still within the general scheme to help our team and we don't do it.

So LOL It is what it is.

Paul's unequivocal commitment to his scheme and not tweaking it may be his undoing. One thing that made Urban Meyer so cool at florida, was after his first year he realized his scheme doesn't totally work in big ball football and modified it in Chris Leaks second year in that program. He actually used more power I and play action vs spread option. Won the national title. Paul seems hell bent, partially due to creating this deal with the public, on not running shotgun/option plays, and working on a passing game that is conducive to higher completion rates. Stuff like allow OL 2 pt stances, allowing OL to zone block vs a pure scoop and cut scheme. How many times this year did you see a C or G on his belly shortly after the snap, whiffing on the cut block and totally removing himself from the play? Zone those once and a while, change it up. Not saying stop the cutting, saying change it up. We have alot, we can tweak still within the general scheme to help our team and we don't do it.

This is word. We need to alter the OL technique as soon as possible. You can run this system with drive blocking and zone blocking. IMO, with as much whining as there is about cut/chop blocking, the cut is going to be ruled illegal within the tackle box within 3 years. Might as well get a jump on it.

33jacket,

Good post (except for telling people to STFU, hey its a message board).

The last paragraph is key and I agree. I would like to ask some additional questions to consider:

How difficult would it be to make the changes that 33 brings up to change the blocking scheme and be able to more efficiently pass the ball?

If CPJ continues to stick religiously to his "thang" we have probably peaked without an improvement in recruiting. How long will CPJ stay/be retained at Tech if this continues?

You specifically mentioned the GCG play. Isn't Uzzi all ACC and why isn't McRae starting at center?

discussing the lack of push from the OL. the only difference in personnel YoY is the Center position. that would lead me to believe there was a big drop off from 79 to 50. Guards are the same. Hard to imagine they got worse YoY, but maybe they didn't get any better.

Apparently you missed the whole 'whipped' discussion and it's impact on VL. But I agree that he would not likely be allowed to go to an ACC school anyway.

6 - GT will never be able to consistently pass in this scheme. The QB can't get a rhythm passing 2 time a quarter. The passing game is deep balls, which are low percentage and feeds the lack of rhythm. Trying coming off the bench without playing and nailing a 3 in the 4Q. Oh and add to that getting punched in the shoulders all game running the option. Get over it. No QB in this scheme will be good passing, and even if they have a hope, the OL isn't set up to successfully pass block due to...yes you got it...scheme. If PJ WANTS to pass, he knows what he needs to do, he hasn't done it in 4 years.

Don't exaggerate our passing game the way the media does, it annoys me. We pass more than two times a quarter and I bet a most half our throws are deep balls (depends on definition of such though).

Paul's unequivocal commitment to his scheme and not tweaking it may be his undoing. One thing that made Urban Meyer so cool at florida, was after his first year he realized his scheme doesn't totally work in big ball football and modified it in Chris Leaks second year in that program. He actually used more power I and play action vs spread option. Won the national title.

True but what also led to Meyer's success trending down before he left was his refusal to adjust from what he changed to when it stopped working. Even with Tebow his offense stagnated cause it needed that Percy Harvin who was fast but not a thin midget like Demps or Rainey.

Also, one reason why he doesn't tweak his offense may be that any rough period while he figures the adjustments and his playcalling to back it up will probably end in his firing.

Edit:
Stuff like allow OL 2 pt stances, allowing OL to zone block vs a pure scoop and cut scheme. How many times this year did you see a C or G on his belly shortly after the snap, whiffing on the cut block and totally removing himself from the play? Zone those once and a while, change it up. Not saying stop the cutting, saying change it up.

What makes you so certain our o linemen are less likely to be put on their asses every time in a 2 pt stance than belly flopping? At least with the cut blocking we don't have our center getting launched into the mesh by a 320 pound DT.

If CPJ continues to stick religiously to his "thang" we have probably peaked without an improvement in recruiting. How long will CPJ stay/be retained at Tech if this continues?

Peaked?

How has CPJ peaked when we are the 2nd youngest team in FBS? Doing the exact same thing with more tenured players should net better results. Also, we have yet to play with a QB that could consistently hit the broad side of a barn passing. At some point one of these QBs will have the skill set to bust this offense wide-open.

Did I really read that no QB will be able to pass in this scheme?!!?! Tracy Ham sure was able to do it, Joe Hamilton wouldve been even more dominant than he already was. Improved QB play isn't the cure for all our ills but it would make a huge difference probably more than any other thing. The passes are there to make every week.

Peaked?

How has CPJ peaked when we are the 2nd youngest team in FBS? Doing the exact same thing with more tenured players should net better results. Also, we have yet to play with a QB that could consistently hit the broad side of a barn passing. At some point one of these QBs will have the skill set to bust this offense wide-open.

So when are we going to get these QBs who will pass remarkably better? We don't recruit them and when we have them it doesn't look like we really work that hard on the passing game and they leave...

Reminds me, Jordan Luallen made an appearance for Cincy while ago.

Hey, here's an idea: how about no more posts based on pure speculation until we know something?

This prophecy could be self-fulfilling because of all the crap talk by GT fans both ways.

Start another thread if you want to analyze CPJ as a coach, good or bad. Let this one die.

Quick, somebody start a whole page of stupid polls to bury this thread.

What makes you so certain our o linemen are less likely to be put on their asses every time in a 2 pt stance than belly flopping? At least with the cut blocking we don't have our center getting launched into the mesh by a 320 pound DT.

because hitting someone in zone is at least better than a whiff and landing on your belly. No one said putting on their asses, I just want to get in their way. Our dives hit so quick that is all you ahve to do.

So, if he decides he's going to transfer, maybe they should play him in the bowl game, just to see..... burn a year of eligibility and then don't release him so he sits for another 2 years.

Well if they burn the year of eligibility now, he will still redshirt next year if he decides to transfer, so if that is the case it wouldn't matter either way. Personally if he wants to transfer I don't wanna see him on the field.

discussing the lack of push from the OL. the only difference in personnel YoY is the Center position. that would lead me to believe there was a big drop off from 79 to 50. Guards are the same. Hard to imagine they got worse YoY, but maybe they didn't get any better.

we have a weak center and one weak guard. Sean was much better and Uzzi was solid. 2 out of 3 masks a ton.

You specifically mentioned the GCG play. Isn't Uzzi all ACC and why isn't McRae starting at center?

Uzzi is solid. The other two are below average and light.

McRae not starting, i think is part 1 - doghouse that established a perception years ago. and 2, for whatever reason, this staff is so used to TE type lineman than a bigger plugger center, that he may not be as good at dive technique cuts and as quick so they land him at 2. However when you watch the clemson game, it is TOTALLY evident up the middle running improved, and he actually did alot of drive blocking vs dive cut and I think its because he can't do the cut as often/efficiently. But he gets a push drive blocking and that is what you want, the hell with the style. This is why paul has to adjust his scheme to allow for BIG D1A lineman to come here, and be successful. By allowing drive and zone, you can get these boys in here and run this system and not wear them out doing cuts.

It makes sense to me, and with the bigger guys we will be able to establish up the middle more. Now, by the same token maybe we don't take out as many LB's in second level, but we do it enough to be adequate. Watch Wisconsins line, they are huge and CONSTANTLY block LB in the second level and pull on WR screens. Its the same deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back