Vintage Tech Football Photo

JollyGoodFellow90GT#1

Varsity Lurker
Tech pic15.jpg

GO JACKETS!

72 or 73 maybe?

Rhino tackling Heisman Winner Anthony "AD" Davis from USC, the real one, my guess is AD is Soph or Jr in this photo, this isn't from the same season he won the Heisman.

Something you don't see much of anymore, sun visors. I guess baseball caps hadn't been invented yet.

The four seasons I was a student at Grant Field I got to see USC, Pitt with Tony Dorsett, Notre Dame twice, as well as SEC teams Tennessee, Auburn, and Georgia twice. FSU and Miami came to Grant Field though not as national powers. South Carolina and Clemson came to play twice as did Duke, Tulane and Navy. We saw UNC, Army and UVA once. It was a fun schedule.

I believe that Bob Hope was at that game and they interviewed him at halftime. He made the joke that this game was like orange juice versus Coca-Cola.

I was at that game. These uniforms are what GT should be wearing. Really liked those intersectional games back then, recall Michigan State coming to Grant Field back then too.
The 2021 version of those Unis would be dreadful, if we wore those we'd have to have a robust network of Bagmen to convince any Recruit to visit GT, much less send in a signed LOI.

Sorry Pal, but in 2021, Teens don't want to wear those Unis.

Did you boycott GT FB when we won the MNC in 1990 wearing the Blue Jerseys frequently?

Notice how almost every HS Recruit that visits, and then takes the Promo Photos in Full Uni, they always seem to choose a version of Blue, or White with Blue Numbers & Trim, very few Recruits take those Promo Photos in the Unis you suggest.

A Marketing Person would tell you to "learn to read the room" and give the Customer what he wants (players that are difference makers is what we need to Win, that's our Target Market).

The 2021 version of those Unis would be dreadful, if we wore those we'd have to have a robust network of Bagmen to convince any Recruit to visit GT, much less send in a signed LOI.

Did you boycott GT FB when we won the MNC in 1990 wearing the Blue Jerseys frequently?

Notice how almost every HS Recruit that visits, and then takes the Promo Photos in Full Uni, they always seem to choose a version of Blue, or White with Blue Numbers & Trim, very few Recruits take those Promo Photos in the Unis you suggest.

A Marketing Person would tell you to "learn to read the room" and give the Customer what he wants (players that are difference makers is what we need to Win, that's our Target Market).
In 1990 Tech HAD to wear dark (blue) jerseys at home, because the NCAA stuck their noses in where they didn't belong.

So how do you know that those recruits don't just wear what is given them to wear by Collins, TStan, whomever? If we wore white and gold exclusively, we would just be doing what we have done for at least 100 years, and that is wearing our OFFICIAL school colors.

Marketing is not translating into wins.
I saw a comment about the use of ATL today by Tech fan as meaning Another Tech Loss.
Talk about " reading the room "Tech football is becoming a laughingstock over a lot of the marketing terminology CGC uses. People laugh at 404 error code team not found, Money Down exhortations from the PA , playing at an elite level even though the team lost, etc, etc, etc.
It's becoming quite a joke among our rivals & a lot of Tech fans.
Only way to turn this around is to start winning football games. The clock is ticking.
I hope he can turn this around & be a success here for twenty or thirty years of success. It is not looking good at the moment & if that offends someone well heck it"s just my opinion & the Sun will come up again tomorrow whether we start winning or not.

Marketing is not translating into wins.
I saw a comment about the use of ATL today by Tech fan as meaning Another Tech Loss.
Talk about " reading the room "Tech football is becoming a laughingstock over a lot of the marketing terminology CGC uses. People laugh at 404 error code team not found, Money Down exhortations from the PA , playing at an elite level even though the team lost, etc, etc, etc.
It's becoming quite a joke among our rivals & a lot of Tech fans.
Only way to turn this around is to start winning football games. The clock is ticking.
I hope he can turn this around & be a success here for twenty or thirty years of success. It is not looking good at the moment & if that offends someone well heck it"s just my opinion & the Sun will come up again tomorrow whether we start winning or not.
None of this material to what I was saying.

Marketing GT FB to potential Recruits isn't the same as Marketing GT FB to Fans.

For Alums I would hope that they wouldn't be so damn stupid to not realize that "404" and all the other Marketing Strategies is for Players and young sidewalk Fans to improve our visibility locally.

People that are avid Fans and Alums, should be smart enough to know they aren't being "left out", yet our Genius Fanbase & Alums don't realize that and are acting like thin-skinned wusses.

The truth is we shouldn't have to "market" GT FB to Alums and long time Fans, resources are limited, people like you should be smart enough to see them trying to find new Fans and not feel "left out"

None of this material to what I was saying.

Marketing GT FB to potential Recruits isn't the same as Marketing GT FB to Fans.

For Alums I would hope that they wouldn't be so damn stupid to not realize that "404" and all the other Marketing Strategies is for Players and young sidewalk Fans to improve our visibility locally.

People that are avid Fans and Alums, should be smart enough to know they aren't being "left out", yet our Genius Fanbase & Alums don't realize that and are acting like thin-skinned wusses.

The truth is we shouldn't have to "market" GT FB to Alums and long time Fans, resources are limited, people like you should be smart enough to see them trying to find new Fans and not feel "left out"
You miss the point that georgytech was trying to make....of course it's all designed (SUPPOSEDLY) to attract recruits, although frankly I doubt it is as much a reason we are getting good recruits as is claimed and as you apparently believe. It is not meant to fire up the fans, but, as georgytech pointed out, it is backfiring among our opponents and their fans, because they don't see us winning, and they mock and laugh at all of the gimmicks. If we were winning, it would all be good, and they wouldn't laugh at us, but the fact is we are not winning, and they are loving it all.

You miss the point that georgytech was trying to make....of course it's all designed (SUPPOSEDLY) to attract recruits, although frankly I doubt it is as much a reason we are getting good recruits as is claimed and as you apparently believe. It is not meant to fire up the fans, but, as georgytech pointed out, it is backfiring among our opponents and their fans, because they don't see us winning, and they mock and laugh at all of the gimmicks. If we were winning, it would all be good, and they wouldn't laugh at us, but the fact is we are not winning, and they are loving it all.
The opponents are gonna mock us no matter what we do, why are you worried about validation from our Opponents?

UGA is #1 in America having their best season since 2nd & 26, and guess what GT Fans still mock them like I just did above right there /\

UGA could care less, we should also care less, no one cares about opponents teasing them.

The opponents are gonna mock us no matter what we do, why are you worried about validation from our Opponents?

UGA is #1 in America having their best season since 2nd & 26, and guess what GT Fans still mock them like I just did above right there /\

UGA could care less, we should also care less, no one cares about opponents teasing them.
You still completely miss the point

The four seasons I was a student at Grant Field I got to see USC, Pitt with Tony Dorsett, Notre Dame twice, as well as SEC teams Tennessee, Auburn, and Georgia twice. FSU and Miami came to Grant Field though not as national powers. South Carolina and Clemson came to play twice as did Duke, Tulane and Navy. We saw UNC, Army and UVA once. It was a fun schedule.
My first season I got to see a QB kick an 80 yard punt.

Back