Vintage Tech Football Photo

GoldenIsle

Flats Noob
I was at that game. These uniforms are what GT should be wearing. Really liked those intersectional games back then, recall Michigan State coming to Grant Field back then too.
I was at that USC game and the 71 MSU game. Two of the hardest hits I’ve ever seen occurred in those games. Steve Putnal knocked Lynn Swann cold as a cucumber when he came across the middle for a pass. In the MSU game the MSU punt returner did not call a fair catch … big mistake. Both those hits would have drawn penalty flags today.

I thought there was a thread of just general old photos from Tech, but I couldn't find it and thought this thread is as good as any. How many of y'all remember the "armpit", the old Techwood theater, across N Ave from Smith dorm and next to Juniors? A friend sent me these two old photos today, and they bring back lots of old memories. I saw some really good movies at the "armpit" while I was at Tech.

Attachments

The Jacket

The Coat
I think it’s the thick stripes that make the old uniforms distinctive, not just the color combos.
This cannot be overstated, really. The color combinations would be far, far more likeable to me if they were done with the traditional striping. All the sharp edges and angles on football uniforms look silly to me, like something a child would draw. There's nothing unique or interesting or meaningful about that stuff, it looks exactly like what it is: some middle-aged white dude's best guess at the kind of designs that would be hip with this year's graduating high school class. They're the difference between looking like the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Football Team or the ATL STING.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
This cannot be overstated, really. The color combinations would be far, far more likeable to me if they were done with the traditional striping. All the sharp edges and angles on football uniforms look silly to me, like something a child would draw. There's nothing unique or interesting or meaningful about that stuff, it looks exactly like what it is: some middle-aged white dude's best guess at the kind of designs that would be hip with this year's graduating high school class. They're the difference between looking like the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Football Team or the ATL STING.
I want oversized numbers with no names.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Notice the astroturf cleats. We took a step forward, installed grass….and then took 2 steps back and reinstalled astroturf in a day and age when every good program, even high schools play on grass.

The Jacket

The Coat
Notice the astroturf cleats. We took a step forward, installed grass….and then took 2 steps back and reinstalled astroturf in a day and age when every good program, even high schools play on grass.
Better luck next time.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
Most high schools are converting to turf for the cost savings.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
I have been a GTYJ fan since 1958 when my uncle took me to my first GT game at Grant Field. I became a fan then and have been faithful to them since that first time of watching them. Here are some photo's of Coach Dodd's last team in 1966, when UT played GT on National TV.
GT-1966#5.jpg
I was at the 1966 UT game as a Boy Scout usher. We won 6-3 and the crowd threw oranges onto the field since we were now the front runner for the Orange Bowl bid.

DeepSnap

Flats Noob
Here's another ancient photo that someone posted in FB --- Coach Alexander sitting in the North stands in 1944, his last year as head coach.
1636290646656.png
Just a followup:

Who is the guy next to Coach Alex? Tech 's most famous golfer, Atlanta attorney Bobby Jones? Mr. Chip Roberts (highly doubtful)? Anyone?

Looks a lot like Jones, but in '44 he was still in the Army - several pics of him as a MAJ or LTC are out there.

Couldn't find this anywhere else, including Georgia State's on-line library.

And no idea who's next to the dapper guy with his tie undone, though he looks like a player I've seen in archived pics from the late '20s or '30s.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

georgytech

Varsity Lurker
We have worn colors other than white and gold for longer than we wore only white and gold.

1940s to 1970s - 30 years
1970s to 2020s - 50 years

We wore leather helmets back in the 40s too, should we go back to those as well? "Tradition" in this regard is just a lame excuse for people who don't like change.
I believe it is more than people resistant to change . When I turn on a tv I can immediately tell if Alabama, Penn State, Texas , Auburn, Clemson, USC w, & others that have kept their traditional look. To me it adds enjoyment to the college football game . This continually changing of the uniforms in an apparent appeal to the interest of an 18 year old kid who might not even play at your school long enough to graduate is absurd...as is so much of college football these days,