Vintage Tech Football Photo

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
Here's an old photo of Coach Bobby Dodd with two of his great Assistant Coaches, Ray Graves (defense) and Frank Broyles (offense). From the looks of the chalk board I imagine Coach Dodd is explaining a play from his famous "belly series," which provided many victories for GT.
COACHES RAY GRAVES, BOBBY DODD & FRANK BROYLES (2).jpg
COACHES RAY GRAVES, BOBBY DODD & FRANK BROYLES (2).jpg
Did we attempt to hire Graves or Broyles when Coach Dodd retired?

goldeagle

Dodd-Like
Coach Ray Graves, I believe, is the man standing on the far left. I'm not sure who the other two coaches are standing next to Coach Dodd. Mr. Graves was Tech's Defensive Coordinator from 1951-1959. In fact, he is credited with creating the "Monster Defense" while at Tech. The "Monster Defense" was a more modern alignment consisting of the Free Safety and Strong Safety playing in the backfield. As a result, the Jackets had some great defenses during this time. I wish we had Coach Graves coaching our defense today!

GO JACKETS!
Thanx for the info!

FHstinger

Dodd-Like
I seem to recall that Coach Dodd, "handpicked" Bud Carson to be his replacement.
When Bud Carson was fired after 1971, he become the defensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers “steel curtain” defense of the ‘70’s.

When Bud Carson was fired after 1971, he become the defensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers “steel curtain” defense of the ‘70’s.
I can't find the post that you responded to so I will respond to your response instead. My memory is that Dodd DID NOT WANT Carson to be hired as HC, but he was unable to stop it. That was many, many years ago, so my memory may be flawed, but that is what I remember. I thought hiring Carson was a BIG mistake, but I also thought that firing him when we did, was a mistake also. He seemed to have turned the corner, and he was definitely a great defensive coach, both as an assistant and as a HC.

The Wasp

Varsity Lurker
Fantastic photo's. Every time I see the traditional uniforms I wonder why today Addidas and the admin can't replicate them. Great era in visiting Grant Field - Rats, students in the East, great product on the field. Those were the days.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
Fantastic photo's. Every time I see the traditional uniforms I wonder why today Addidas and the admin can't replicate them. Great era in visiting Grant Field - Rats, students in the East, great product on the field. Those were the days.
Because they don’t want to replicate them.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
And therein lies the problem --- they don't WANT to replicate what was our brand for at least 80 years. ABSURD !!!
I quite like having a modern spin on our uniforms. What we’re wearing this week looks pretty great to me.

I’m not a fan of navy jerseys or pants, but what “brand” specifically are we ignoring with our current GWG or GGW looks?

JRjr

80 years? I think you're wrong about that.
We have been wearing White and Gold almost exclusively (barring a few away games under Dodd, and a bunch of games in the 80s and 90s, when the NCAA stuck their nose in) since at least 1940. Last I checked, that added up to 81 years.

I quite like having a modern spin on our uniforms. What we’re wearing this week looks pretty great to me.

I’m not a fan of navy jerseys or pants, but what “brand” specifically are we ignoring with our current GWG or GGW looks?

JRjr
Modern shouldn't mean an emphasis on secondary colors. Our brand is White and Gold, in any number of combinations.

The Wasp

Varsity Lurker
And therein lies the problem --- they don't WANT to replicate what was our brand for at least 80 years. ABSURD !!!
It is called TRADITION. Without it your trying to create something out of nothing. Why try to ignore or forget greatness? I guess we could auction the Rambling Wreck and just go modern, but just my opinion the experiences of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's cannot be replicated.

I said I don’t like the navy unis. What’s the beef with the Adidas GWG and GGW combos?

JRjr
I think the old unis looked better, although they were apparently not nearly as good quality, but as long as it's some combination of White and Gold, I don't care who makes them.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
I liked the unis we wore under OLeary and Chan (minus some bad number font choices). Most of what we wore under Johnson looked kinda cheap and tacky. The Adidas look pretty slick, just wish we’d dial back the blue.

JRjr

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
We have been wearing White and Gold almost exclusively (barring a few away games under Dodd, and a bunch of games in the 80s and 90s, when the NCAA stuck their nose in) since at least 1940. Last I checked, that added up to 81 years.
We have worn colors other than white and gold for longer than we wore only white and gold.

1940s to 1970s - 30 years
1970s to 2020s - 50 years

We wore leather helmets back in the 40s too, should we go back to those as well? "Tradition" in this regard is just a lame excuse for people who don't like change.

We have worn colors other than white and gold for longer than we wore only white and gold.

1940s to 1970s - 30 years
1970s to 2020s - 50 years

We wore leather helmets back in the 40s too, should we go back to those as well? "Tradition" in this regard is just a lame excuse for people who don't like change.
Sorry, but Tech didn't wear blue in the 70s or the mid to late 90s, and definitely not in the early 2000s. And no, I don't like change, when there is no logical need for it.