"We're just now catching up to where everybody else is "

I just wonder if his hands were tied before or did he just figure this out?

This has been covered in an exhaustive manner elsewhere.

He has been asking for more office personnel for a couple years. Last year we hoped to get it but DRad could not find room in the budget.

CPJ took advantage of the new AD honeymoon period to get it through this time.

Let me emphasize....with exception of Griffin...the pay is EXTREMELY LOW for these guys. I do not expect them to stay very long and our numbers still pale in comparison to places like Alabama where they have an entire second string coaching staff of 10 that they call "Football Quality Control".

This is great an all but unless there's a quantifiable improvement in recruiting then what's the point?

Maybe DRad figured the return on investing more in a larger recruiting staff isn't there with what we are selling and our ability to close on it.

We shall see, but if its more 40-70 ranked recruiting classes what was the point?

This is great an all but unless there's a quantifiable improvement in recruiting then what's the point?

Maybe DRad figured the return on investing more in a larger recruiting staff isn't there with what we are selling and our ability to close on it.

We shall see, but if its more 40-70 ranked recruiting classes what was the point?

Dan was a base cost control guy. He laid off many AA employees his first few years. Many remaining AA employees felt over worked and under paid. I understand why dan did it due to our poor fiscal situation, but football PAYS THE BILLS so a good leader finds room to nurture that program and finds space in other programs to scale back; to me, finding 3 heads for football to help that program; should be easy to find 3 more somewhere else if you are in a zero sum game.

All my chips as an AD would be on football. ALL OF THEM. Then I cascade down from there based on revenue. Basketball is next, then baseball, then the sports that lose money year over year I support with the minimally viable offering. That doesn't mean have bad coaches. It means finding efficiencies in the administration portion of the program, or pool share more resources. Football is the GT cash cow; business says figure how to make that the most successful you can.

Will these 3 guys = better classes? Not sure. We still have VERY TOUGH hill restrictions. But maybe we land a tuitt or two that we normally lose....does that meant the class is top 25. No, but maybe we have 1-2 more impact players a class.

Will these 3 guys = better classes? Not sure. We still have VERY TOUGH hill restrictions. But maybe we land a tuitt or two that we normally lose....does that meant the class is top 25. No, but maybe we have 1-2 more impact players a class.
Good analysis. After what I read about all the time the new staff will save the coaching staff, it means we can examine substantially more HS athletes then was possible previously and the staff can spend more time closing. This can only be good. I hope we can do what is necessary to retain the new staff ($$$) once it is determined that the ROI is there. The last thing we need is to get the machine rolling then lose folks over an inability to offer competitive compensation.

Good analysis. After what I read about all the time the new staff will save the coaching staff, it means we can examine substantially more HS athletes then was possible previously and the staff can spend more time closing. This can only be good. I hope we can do what is necessary to retain the new staff ($$$) once it is determined that the ROI is there. The last thing we need is to get the machine rolling then lose folks over an inability to offer competitive compensation.
Yes this+1 - and this game has to played successfully very quickly. Their is a window of opportunity now where possible 2-3 difference makers would ...umm...make a big difference.
I think that we need to get a few big time defensive players in the next two classes so they are starters or big contributors when Vad and Justin are upper classmen.

I will give a thousand dollars to any of the recruiters who pulls in a 5 star. It will be the "cash-handshake" thing someone on here used to love so much.

In all seriousness though, I like the changes that have been made. Had no idea we were 1 guy versus 5 in the recruiting game. No frikkin' wonder we're getting our arses handed to us in recruiting year-after-year.

I will give a thousand dollars to any of the recruiters who pulls in a 5 star. It will be the "cash-handshake" thing someone on here used to love so much.

In all seriousness though, I like the changes that have been made. Had no idea we were 1 guy versus 5 in the recruiting game. No frikkin' wonder we're getting our arses handed to us in recruiting year-after-year.

I hope the last sentence of yours is true...

You are right...lets not even try to do better. :rolleyes:

So was DRad basically a shepherd to get us through firing Gailey and Hewitt, cutting costs while we were paying their salaries, and now we can actually invest in the programs? As far as I know, the football revenues were setting records every year as the alumni base grew and we started Tech fund seats and other things (including, yes, athletic fees). But we were cutting back instead of hiring and apparently going 1 against 5 in something as critical as recruiting.

It's possible DRad is to blame for all this, but also it's possible the effects of Braine's incompetence had far longer lags than I realized.

Did I say that?

All I said is let's make sure we see some results before we declare this a success.

I do not think anyone has said that this is success in terms of getting recruits because we just hired the guys...what they are saying is that this is success in finally getting some recruiting support and in trying to do something different to improve instead of doing things the same way we always have.

You must be one of those that can't get excited about starting the season 6-0 because you know we'll eventually lose a game.

I do not think anyone has said that this is success in terms of getting recruits because we just hired the guys...what they are saying is that this is success in finally getting some recruiting support and in trying to do something different to improve instead of doing things the same way we always have.

Exactly. The take home point here is that we are spotting our problems in a self-evaluation and making corrections as needed.

Big thing to me is that CPJ apparently recognizes we need to recruit better. He's said he's changing his strategy and clearly there were discussions about recruiting better with both DRad and Boboz.

I think this will help a good bit. Face it, if GT is gonna thrive, it's gonna come mostly from identifying, recruiting and signing diamonds-in-the-rough, fall-through-the-cracks and scholarly minded talent. Not only that, but it must be done over a much broader geographic area than just the southeast.

Doing this takes a lot of leg work. The more guys doing it, the better.

I think this will help a good bit. Face it, if GT is gonna thrive, it's gonna come mostly from identifying, recruiting and signing diamonds-in-the-rough, fall-through-the-cracks and scholarly minded talent. Not only that, but it must be done over a much broader geographic area than just the southeast.

Doing this takes a lot of leg work. The more guys doing it, the better.

I will say it could help...but not gonna reach and say it will help cause frankly I am not sure how long of a leash CPJ has right now with a new AD and all...

Another thing I think needs pointing out is that Bobinski's approval of this (when dRad set a precedent by not approving it) helps put the question to rest that a basketball AD doesn't or won't understand what our football program needs to be successful.

Sounds to me like Bobinski gets it better than dRad got it.

Another thing I think needs pointing out is that Bobinski's approval of this (when dRad set a precedent by not approving it) helps put the question to rest that a basketball AD doesn't or won't understand what our football program needs to be successful.

It's almost like dRad knew he was going to Clemson at some point, but saw to it that he sabotaged GT's football program before he left.

From what I've heard MBob is listening to the needs of GT and trying to address those. DRad appeared to have his own plan and is doing the same stuff at Clemson that he did here. GT is a unique place and has unique problems. I'm glad MBob is taking the approach he is.

Imo, you couldn't be further off base. We already know about the Tuitt's of the world. Those are the guys that coach Johnson is personally calling. Having another 2-3 guys in the recruiting office isn't going to do a lick of good recruiting them.

Where this will help the most is logistics and freeing up coach time to do higher level recruiting things. In other words, we will have more time to focus on the guys further down our list.

Specifically, what is critical is that these guys (i) can handle the pure logistics side, such as gathering and checking transcripts and checking entrance requirements, etc. and (ii) conduct basic reviews of video/film/etc.

We won't see a benefit in the four and five star guys that we would already be pursuing, like Tuitt (i.e. 4-5 star guys in our backyard). We may see additional solid players outside the southeast that we otherwise may not have spotted.

Where I'd expect the real benefit, however, is getting better 3 star talent. In other words, maybe out coaching staff wouldn't have sufficient time to scour the game tape of DEs 5-20 in the state of Georgia. Those guys all may get approximately the same ranking by the scouting services. Having a deeper staff will allow us to more readily filter through those guys, and hopefully spot diamonds in the rough.

Back