What are folks thinking about Paul Johnson these days?

Last year, I saw an offensive line that was killed by bigger, stronger defensive lines. I saw some improvement in defense, but the offense was certainly not as good as 2009. So far, I haven't seen those playmakers that Johnson recruited on the field which should be cause for concern. He may have them and we just haven't seen them yet, but so far, he hasn't improved us much using his guys.

You saw improvement in the D? Really?

By the way, last year's 446 points (34.3 per game) was the second best total of Johnson's tenure and far outpaced any other Jacket offense going back to at least 2001.

In respect to the OL, every year when I check the OL commits I see taller, heavier guys. His 2008-2009 recruits were in the 6-2 280 range and the last few years I've seen more 6-4 300 guys. He's getting bigger, more talented guys and in the next four years I think we'll see us move from a 7-8 win team to a 9-10 win team.
My concern is offensive playmakers. Unless we get some magic guys like Dwyer and Demarius in, we'll be playing some really tight games.

You saw improvement in the D? Really?

By the way, last year's 446 points (34.3 per game) was the second best total of Johnson's tenure and far outpaced any other Jacket offense going back to at least 2001.

120 of those points were in two games against really bad teams.

Last year, I saw an offensive line that was killed by bigger, stronger defensive lines. I saw some improvement in defense, but the offense was certainly not as good as 2009. So far, I haven't seen those playmakers that Johnson recruited on the field which should be cause for concern. He may have them and we just haven't seen them yet, but so far, he hasn't improved us much using his guys.

After we pile-drive VPISU on Sept 3rd, I hope to see everyone STHU about CPJ, and quit these retarded comparisons to Gailey.

I repeat my previously stated prediction:

GT: 35
VPISU: 17

And, for those that dont remember:

I was the ONLY one on this board in 2011 that said Clemson would pile-drive VPISU in Blacksburg.

VPISU did not even score a TD in that 23-3 home loss.

After we pile-drive VPISU on Sept 3rd, I hope to see everyone STHU about CPJ, and quit these retarded comparisons to Gailey.

I repeat my previously stated prediction:

GT: 35
VPISU: 17

I was the ONLY one on this board in 2011 that said Clemson would pile-drive VPISU in Blacksburg.

VPISU did not even score a TD in that 23-3 home loss.

Why would the first game of the season change anyone's mind? It's the second half of seasons where we crater. That's been true of both Gailey and Johnson. If we end up 6-7 or 7-6 will you STHU?

Last year we were the 6th youngest FBS team, and we had the fewest returning starts on OL in the ACC at 38. Most of which belonged to one guy, IIRC.

http://blog.philsteele.com/2011/06/08/2011-combined-experience-chart/

This year we get almost all of those guys back and start building some depth, next year, barring crazy injuries or tons of guys leaving early, we may actually BE deep.

It's difficult for me to communicate my perspective here. I feel that the team has made progress, but not all progress necessarily translates to fielding a team that is better at the game of football in the present term. A lot of the progress CPJ has made has been in setting us up as a team that CAN build depth and, it would seem, IS building depth.

A young OL won't kill your W/L all on its own, look at 2008 and 2009, we had a pretty patchwork OL then, but timing was such that we lost tons of talent at the skill positions that would have made '10 and '11 a much better time. The point is, we shouldn't ever be '10 thin or '11 young again, so if we manage to put some playmakers in THIS mix, it'll look as good or better than '09.

Look, I hope your right, and we do win but the OP was about what people think about CPJ and in order to do that people will look at an individual's predecessors, i.e. Gailey/O'Leary. Same at any other school or profession for that matter.

I don't think anyone on this board would defend Braine's contracts for Gailey/Hewitt. But when looking at Braine's comments, where the Tech fan base wants to be and where we currently are, we're not there. This is year 5, he'll have years 6 and 7 as well to prove himself.

To call people stupid, retarded, idiots etc isn't necessary when none of the post are attacking P.J.

It's compare and contrast. I personally don't think we're a better than 8 win team, but I hope I'm also wrong.

My personal belief is if the TO was so successful, other teams would have picked it up by now, i.e. the Spread offense. And I'm not saying we should go that way and yeah, I know how the TO is basically a Spread but we don't really run it that way anyway.

I'm not a coach, I don't pretend to be one, I support CPJ, but when asked I'll give my opinion.

I heart these "I was the only one..." posts. It's the reason why I want to share a bowl of oatmeal and glass of prune juice with oldfoggy and talk about the days of yesteryear.

Because this:
May be the the dumbest thing anyone has ever written on ST

Look, I'm not trying to fight, but Gailey beat Auburn, Notre Dame, etc. Yeah, against UGA, he sucked, but so has P.J.

Gailey could recruit and no one can deny that. P.J. won his only win against UGA with Gailey's recruits.

Not dumb.

Look, I'm not trying to fight, but Gailey beat Auburn, Notre Dame, etc. Yeah, against UGA, he sucked, but so has P.J.

Gailey could recruit and no one can deny that. P.J. won his only win against UGA with Gailey's recruits.

Not dumb.

Gailey beat ööööty Auburn and Notre Dame teams. Johnson has beaten FSU (something Oleary couldn't even accomplish), UGA, UVA@UVA. So that argument is stupid as both have had big wins, but Gailey has 0 ACC champ wins and 0 UGA wins regardless of how quick you want to write off Johnson's.

Gailey had ONE year of good recruiting. And that was it. Every other year was the same or worse than Johnson. He also squandered the 2006 team immensely.

Gailey could recruit and no one can deny that.

tumblr_lz4puurW2G1qiopof.gif

Gailey had ONE year of good recruiting. And that was it.

Auburn was preseason #1 and I believe ND was ~17, yeah I know, preseason.

As far as recruiting (current NFL):

Michael Johnson
Jonathan Dwyer
Calvin Johnson
Tashard Choice
Demaryius Thomas
Joshua Nesbitt
who am I leaving out?

there should have been a pole

there seem to have been much more critical posts than pro cpj posts. in fact its the same old' guys backing him.

i think the general thought is give him a few more years but even those people are still tired of losing to uga, miami, va tech and the bowls.

i also align myself with the last statement.

it's just so funny that every critical post is hammered with a Gailey comparison. No one is saying Gailey was better. Stop referring back to Gailey-no one cares.

there should have been a pole

there seem to have been much more critical posts than pro cpj posts. in fact its the same old' guys backing him.

i think the general thought is give him a few more years but even those people are still tired of losing to uga, miami, va tech and the bowls.

i also align myself with the last statement.

it's just so funny that every critical post is hammered with a Gailey comparison. No one is saying Gailey was better. Stop referring back to Gailey-no one cares.

I think it's backlash from people who worship CPJ as a God and get pissed when anyone brings up a fault against him. It's easy to come off as being against CPJ when you get into a discussion like that even if you're not.

Why would the first game of the season change anyone's mind? It's the second half of seasons where we crater. That's been true of both Gailey and Johnson. If we end up 6-7 or 7-6 will you STHU?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I dont recall our 2008 or 2009 season "cratering"
in the 2nd half. I recall losing Nesbitt in Game 9 in 2010 that made a HUGE difference in how the season ended. I remember 2011 second-half being rough, with CPJ having red-shirted dozens of players, and having one of the youngest rosters in D1.

I certainly remember Gailey's 2006 team crashing and burning BADLY at seasons end...with ALL that talent he recruited. /sarc.

In case you hadnt noticed...

For the past few years, the winner of the GT-VPISU game has determined the ACC-Coastal Champ. The ACC-Coastal Champ has won 4 of the last 5 ACC-CGs.
And VPISU is considered one of the better (best?) teams in the ACC.

The GT-VPISU game is HUGE and a VERY strong indicator of how the rest of the season will go.

We wont end up 7-6 or 6-7, and I am willing to put money where my mouth is.

Since you seem convinced we will suffer a 7-6 or 6-7 season, I would be MORE than happy to wager you $100 that GT finishes BETTER than 7-6 this year.

Money talks and BS walks.

So, whats is YOUR wallet ?

And that was before ND was exposed as being terrible that year. Can't believe you even posted that as a "big win". Auburn was never preseason #1 when we beat them. UGA was when CPJ beat them. Not to mention that CPJ has won twice against top 5 teams.

Gailey's only top 5 victory was against UM, which you didn't even mention as being a big win.

2003 Auburn team was #6 preseason and #17 when we beat them. 2005 Auburn was #16 preseason/when we beat them.

Will you remind me what preseason rank 2008 UGA was?

Back