What are folks thinking about Paul Johnson these days?

If we ran off 7 or 8, they'd be on their 3rd coach for either #7 or #8. Don't think they have the patience that our fanbase does. Or maybe they have the cash to be more impatient than us.

they just dont have as many excuses.

I don't think it is coincidence that Hewitt never acheived on a high level after he was given his evergreen contract, or that the last two years under Johnson have been lukewarm after he was given an extension to 7 years at about $2.5MM a year.

I doubt money is big motivator for a multimillionaire like CPJ. He isn't going to get lazy because he's got X years guaranteed. The guy wants to win at football. That's his life's work and he came to GT to win championships. Plus he doesn't spend all his money on suits or get taken in Ponzi schemes.

Fear is a great motivator. The real question is: why does the GTAA keep handing out contracts to coaches that remove all fear of failure, and the associated motivation?

I don't think it is coincidence that Hewitt never acheived on a high level after he was given his evergreen contract, or that the last two years under Johnson have been lukewarm after he was given an extension to 7 years at about $2.5MM a year.

You could argue that he never achieved consistently on a high level before that contract, either. He did have the one great run of course, but he never had a winning season in conference and, as we all know, the tournament itself is a crapshoot.

What's his approval rating? Job security?

Well, since my daughter, who incidentally starts her official first GT class tomorrow, said that she was outside one of the sorority houses during rush on Thursday and PJ walked by her on his way back from practice and smiled at her (imagine that- PJ smiling), I'm giving him a slight thumbs up.

You could argue that he never achieved consistently on a high level before that contract, either. He did have the one great run of course, but he never had a winning season in conference and, as we all know, the tournament itself is a crapshoot.

pretty sure he had a winning record the year they went to the final four.

9-7 maybe?

we were a 3 seed out of a very very tough ACC that year.

Iowa shut it down and LSU embarrassed us.

LSU only embarrassed us on the scoreboard. The offense moved the ball OK against them. Iowa did a good job of stopping us, but 6 of those players are now in the NFL. It's silly to judge a program on these kind of isolated games.

LSU only embarrassed us on the scoreboard. The offense moved the ball OK against them. Iowa did a good job of stopping us, but 6 of those players are now in the NFL. It's silly to judge a program on these kind of isolated games.

yeah it's silly to judge a program vs. the teams who are decent.

whats cpj's record vs. .500 or better fbs teams?

Sometimes I think I'm a paranoid schizophrenic and ST is just me hallucinating my internal dialogue onto a computer screen.

The critics never like to think about whether a new coach will be better. They're more interested in firing someone than thinking logically about what's best for the team.

No doubt.

I grew up an Osborne fan and remember people thinking he should be canned because he couldn't beat OU, didn't win championships and couldn't win in a bowl. Generally, fans are impatient imbeciles (I see a few examples in this thread).

PJ reminds me of TO a lot in terms of system, though they are quite different personalities. Stick with him and I think people will be really happy with the results. Fire him and gtech quickly drops back into obscurity.

Last note, it's not so much about this coach's or that coach's recruits. It's about those recruits getting TIME (I.e. reps) in the system. I believe this is the first year a class will have had 5 springs under their belt. Add to that a bunch of underclassmen that have 2 or 3 springs, and the product in the field will look a lot better. It's just unfortunate that the NCAA has restricted practice so much. Really works against system programs and in favor of programs that recruit the best.

7-6 against top 25 ranked teams and 2-2 against top 10. :biggthumpup:

this is unofficial because i just did it quickly but here are his numbers against fbs teams that are above .500

13-15

4-3
5-2
1-5
3-5

there was also a loss to an under .500 team in there.

someone can check that-i am sure i missed a game or two somewhere, maybe it isnt that bad.

By comparison, Beamer is 1-6 against top 10 teams and 13-11 versus the top 25 over the last 5 years.

EDIT: In fact, we're the only program in the coastal with more than 1 win vs a top 10 foe in the last 5 years.

By comparison, Beamer is 1-6 against top 10 teams and 13-11 versus the top 25 over the last 5 years.

EDIT: In fact, we're the only program in the coastal with more than 1 win vs a top 10 foe in the last 5 years.

the competency of the division means 0 to me.

this is unofficial because i just did it quickly but here are his numbers against fbs teams that are above .
there was also a loss to an under .500 team in there.

someone can check that-i am sure i missed a game or two somewhere, maybe it isnt that bad.

For the sake of argument, I'll assume those numbers are correct.

Of course you realize that's fairly typical for a coach at a new program, right? Even a great coach.

But let's say he'd gone 18-10 against those teams. I.e. won 5 that he lost.

He'd have a 39-14 record, which would place him right around the top 10 in the last 4 years and pretty much first among coaches who got to their program in 2007 or later. As it stands, he's at 30th, and about 3rd among coaches who arrived at bcs programs in 2007 or later (pelini and harbaugh are above him).

Are you telling me that GTech fans should only be satisfied with a coach if the jackets have the #1 new coach in terms of results and a top 10 winningest program in his first 4 years? Is that realistic?

the competency of the division means 0 to me.

Clearly anything that doesn't support your opinion means zero to you. There have been multiple replies refuting your half ass stats, but don't let that get in your way.

Do everyone a favor and cap it at 10 posts a day, if you can't get your opinion across in that, then you never will.

Feel free to list the teams that have been more successful against .500 teams, along with their records.

in the coastal?

without looking i'd almost wager
Miami
VT
and
Clemson (even though they aren't coastal they are our natual rival)

Like I said though. It matters NOTHING to me how other teams do vs. who they play, it's about us and 13-15 vs. .500 teams isn't very good. What it says is you do well vs Duke, your cupcakes,Wake, and Maryland.

but then again everyone in the conference that is worse than us has been in the hiring market except for wake. so your argument isn't valid.

in the coastal?

without looking i'd almost wager
Miami
VT
and
Clemson

Like I said though. It matters NOTHING to me how other teams do vs. who they play, it's about us and 13-15 vs. .500 teams isn't very good. What it says is you do well vs Duke, your cupcakes,Wake, and Maryland.

Hey look, a post with no stats, a stupid opinion, and an explanation of why other stats don't mean anything to you. How insightful.

Clearly anything that doesn't support your opinion means zero to you. There have been multiple replies refuting your half ass stats, but don't let that get in your way.

Do everyone a favor and cap it at 10 posts a day, if you can't get your opinion across in that, then you never will.

big tough guy!

Hey look, a post with no stats, a stupid opinion, and an explanation of why other stats don't mean anything to you. How insightful.

this is a stat 13-15 against teams .500 or better.

where are yours?

if the whole debate is about coaching hot seats why would it matter to me about crappy teams WHO ARE ALSO FINDING COACHES. in fact that just validates the argument.

also, you've failed to realize i've said many times, i think he should get a minimum of 2-3 more years to improve these stats. but to be pleased with the progress is just a little blind.

i'm done posting in here because im not trying to argue with anyone-simply posting some stats. but if you think i'm in the minority you're also wrong. if not explain $100 season tickets and 1/3rd sold stadiums.

Back