What is the point of being UGA's b*tch 90% of the time?

I do hope GT-uga doesn't go away. It is intriguing to note both groups of fans have pockets that do want it to go away. Games like today are horrible for the rivalry. I can't offer any solutions but GT must find a way to do better. Change coaches, fix academics, hire more staff. I don't care what the answer is.... Today's game was pathetic and will only lead to less people caring to go support GT.

You said you don't understand why people want to keep playing GT-U[sic]GA, Clemson-South Carolina, Oklahoma-Texas, and Florida-FSU.

I was telling you why people want to keep playing those games.

Oklahoma/Nebraska, Pitt/Penn State, Texas/Arkansas - all huge rivalry games in the 70s that went away. Nobody died.

College football is a big business now. It's all about the national stage now.

The Sports TV Gods f'ed up NASCAR the same way - by taking it away from its roots.

Oklahoma/Nebraska, Pitt/Penn State, Texas/Arkansas - all huge rivalry games in the 70s that went away. Nobody died.

College football is a big business now. It's all about the national stage now.

The Sports TV Gods f'ed up NASCAR the same way - by taking it away from its roots.

Sure. But you said you don't understand why they keep playing. I was telling you why.

Maybe you disagree that it's worth it, but surely you should be able to at least understand why people want to keep playing games that have been going on for over a hundred years.

To some people rivalry games are worth more than maximizing your chances for success on the big stage. To others, they are not. In the series you mentioned, the latter view won out. Fortunately (in my opinion), the former is winning out in our case so far.

Oklahoma - Texas is not OOC. Texas-Texas A&M is history.

I’d rather play UGA first week, not last.

Something did die. Something valuable. Doing away with rivalries is all part of turning CFB into NFL lite. It's the handiwork of AA's who are rewarded for making money.

Then I'm not sure you really understand college football. Because at its heart its about being better than your neighbor. That's what I really hate about the ACC. Outside the heartland teams, there aren't any genuine rivalries. I mean... nobody really cares. "It just means less."
Another one of the ramifications of Bobby Dodd's decision to pull us out of the SEC was the eventual loss of the genuine rivalries we had with Auburn, Tennessee, and Bama. Even though we eventually joined the ACC, we haven't had anyone in the conference come close to replacing those rivalries we lost.

Another one of the ramifications of Bobby Dodd's decision to pull us out of the SEC was the eventual loss of the genuine rivalries we had with Auburn, Tennessee, and Bama. Even though we eventually joined the ACC, we haven't had anyone in the conference come close to replacing those rivalries we lost.
It was the most important ramification, IMHO.

It didn't take us too long to realize that was a big mistake. Tried to get back in several times. But it is better being in the ACC than being independent. We'd probably be the BYU of the SE if that had happened.

There are so many p_ssies on this thread. Anyone advocating to drop UGA can turn in their GT cards and eat a fat one. You are the problem. You are the reason we are in football mediocrity. You can take your beloved degree and stick it up your arse. You don’t know what it’s like to bleed white and gold, dress up your daughters....drink your whiskey clear, donate your money and love the jackets good or bad. You are a quitter and probably never competed in anything other than calculus class. Eat a D. You should never come back on this board because your not as smart as you think you are. THWG and let’s start working on how to beat them next year. Otherwise, F off.

The passion, the pageantry, the tradition, the drama...college football rivalry games are some of the best spectacles in all of sports. They are the reason why fans are so obsessive and put their hearts and souls into their teams.

I don't understand why some people would want to take them away. College football without rivalry games would be a sad thing indeed -- a colorless tracing of the sport we currently know and love.

+1 zillion

I love the game of football. When it comes to excitement over uncertainty about the outcome, a good high school game (or hell, even middle school) can be as good or better than an NFL game, plus you get no commercial breaks. What you said is exactly what sets college FB apart - the rivalries, the bands, the natural competition from being surrounded by alums of rival schools. Get rid of that, and you've lost the heart of college football.

There are so many p_ssies on this thread. Anyone advocating to drop UGA can turn in their GT cards and eat a fat one. You are the problem. You are the reason we are in football mediocrity. You can take your beloved degree and stick it up your arse. You don’t know what it’s like to bleed white and gold, dress up your daughters....drink your whiskey clear, donate your money and love the jackets good or bad. You are a quitter and probably never competed in anything other than calculus class. Eat a D. You should never come back on this board because your not as smart as you think you are. THWG and let’s start working on how to beat them next year. Otherwise, F off.

Yeah, I’m the problem, right. I’ve only posted thousands of times on message boards over the last 20 years so I’m not really vested in GT football. I’m just a casual observer who is more interested in the sanctity of my beloved degree.

This is not a “rivalry” any more. Time to move on.

Yeah, I’m the problem, right. I’ve only posted thousands of times on message boards over the last 20 years so I’m not really vested in GT football. I’m just a casual observer who is more interested in the sanctity of my beloved degree.

Time to move on from posting.

While we're at it, we should probably drop Clemson too, right? And Miami looks like they might get it together eventually and be that kind of program. And hell, VT. You know what? Why don't we just join the AAC. Well, I guess USF and UCF are there, so we should probably aim lower. Although we'd have to play NDSU every year if we went down to FCS. Who wants that?

Let's just quit.

Wouldn't the logic of this thread apply even moreso to Michigan and OSU after today? Recently, Michigan has done even worse than we have against UGA. I'm not a fan of either team, but I would be mad if Michigan gave up on perhaps the most historical rivalry in college football.

If everything becomes cynically about money, playing easy OOC, etc., then it will kill college football.

Wouldn't the logic of this thread apply even moreso to Michigan and OSU after today? Recently, Michigan has done even worse than we have against UGA. I'm not a fan of either team, but I would be mad if Michigan gave up on perhaps the most historical rivalry in college football.

If everything becomes cynically about money, playing easy OOC, etc., then it will kill college football.

Not really. The reason is there is no talent discrepancy, just superior coaching. GT admin doesn’t really care to fix the structural impediments that have us with bringing a knife to the annual UGA gunfight. Sure, we’ll get lucky once in a while but this is not a rivalry.

Loser mentality regardless of how long you’ve been here. You are the problem, not UGA. Quit trying to out logic the circumstances. We don’t need to quit playing UGA. We need to go to work.

We are already there when it comes to money and easy OOC.

And last time I checked Michigan and OSU are in the same conference.

There just aren't that many OOC rivalry games still around.

Loser mentality regardless of how long you’ve been here. You are the problem, not UGA. Quit trying to out logic the circumstances. We don’t need to quit playing UGA. We need to go to work.

Would love to see your "work plan".

Back