What Lewis Caralla Does, Lewis Caralla Gets Done

Not much over that. In the offseason i got a condo for a week for well under $100 a night. ~$550 iirc. Parking at $25 a pop is not irrelevant. McDonalds breakfast to go on the way in and second tier restaurants in the park with kids meals can be kept around $60 a day. Bring your own snacks and waters/gatorades (freeze them and they are cold all day).
The Marriott Harbour Lake is a great place to stay. We got a 2 bedroom condo for the ridiculous price of $150 a night.

The Marriott Harbour Lake is a great place to stay. We got a 2 bedroom condo for the ridiculous price of $150 a night.
$150 would break the budget in my head. Which is part of why I go off season. The other part is offseason is critical to skip the insane lines.

$150 would break the budget in my head. Which is part of why I go off season. The other part is offseason is critical to skip the insane lines.
We went in May last year for my kid’s birthday. The condo was very nice with multiple pools. It was very nice.

We went in May last year for my kid’s birthday. The condo was very nice with multiple pools. It was very nice.
Cool. May is all the spring breakers so the crowds are bigger and the prices are somewhat higher of course so 150 a night might be great. As I understand it prices peak pretty crazy high in the summer but I'll never go then due to the overcrowding.

I should add that I dont pay a dime extra for nice amenities because I go from park open to park close. (Really 1+ hours early). Only parks where any time is left for hotel stuff are Legoland or the Disney waterparks which both close at 5 pm offseason.

Last time I went I VRBO’d house in a golf course community with a private pool about 10 min from the park. Great location and about half the overall price of a premium Disney resort. May have been less than that because I’d have to get 2 rooms at the monorail resorts since I have 3 kids.

Our travel agent arranged for my wife and I to spend four nights at a mid-tier Disney property, Caribbean Resort, with four days of park passes and a meal plan. The lodging was fine and buses ran from the resort to the parks, so no traffic or parking worries. Meals in the park restaurants were quite good. At the end of our stay Disney transported us to Port Canaveral and we enjoyed a four night cruise with Disney with stops in Nassau and Castaway Caye. We had a balcony room. Round trip airfare from RDU and transports on Disney buses to and from the Orlando airport was included. This was early June three years ago. Our cost was $3,200 total, which I thought was great value. We had a great time.

Yellowstone with a 6 y/o? Tell us how it goes.
We did Yellowstone two years ago in July with no WiFi and no AC. Kids were 14/12/10/6. I had a great time. The other five of us did not. Lol

It actually reminded me a lot of Disney. I spent a ton of money as I sweated all day along with 200,000 other people all doing the same thing.

My kids prefer Maui.

Our travel agent arranged for my wife and I to spend four nights at a mid-tier Disney property, Caribbean Resort, with four days of park passes and a meal plan. The lodging was fine and buses ran from the resort to the parks, so no traffic or parking worries. Meals in the park restaurants were quite good. At the end of our stay Disney transported us to Port Canaveral and we enjoyed a four night cruise with Disney with stops in Nassau and Castaway Caye. We had a balcony room. Round trip airfare from RDU and transports on Disney buses to and from the Orlando airport was included. This was early June three years ago. Our cost was $3,200 total, which I thought was great value. We had a great time.
We’ve done two similar Disney cruises in October. Fun times but we spent over $8,000 on each cruise.

We did Yellowstone two years ago in July with no WiFi and no AC. Kids were 14/12/10/6. I had a great time. The other five of us did not. Lol

It actually reminded me a lot of Disney. I spent a ton of money as I sweated all day along with 200,000 other people all doing the same thing.

My kids prefer Maui.
Yeah, i just cant see my twins enjoying "scenery" at 12. Certainly not when they were younger. I plan to torture them with a west trip when they are older before college as a bonding experience.

Other items on the fall break bucket list before college are Paris+ and a diy African Safari trip.

Not much over that. In the offseason i got a condo for a week for well under $100 a night. ~$550 iirc. Parking at $25 a pop is not irrelevant. McDonalds breakfast to go on the way in and second tier restaurants in the park with kids meals can be kept around $60 a day. Bring your own snacks and waters/gatorades (freeze them and they are cold all day).
That sounds horrible.

That sounds horrible.
If you dont like amusement park rides you can always cattle in with sweaty mouthbreathers while your eardrums endure 160dB assault at Masquerade for under $100.

Yellowstone in summer can be overcrowded, too. But instead of sweating for an hour in line to ride Dumbo, you will be in the comfort of your car behind a quarter mile of traffic waiting for a bison to decide to move off the road.

Yellowstone in summer can be overcrowded, too. But instead of sweating for an hour in line to ride Dumbo, you will be in the comfort of your car behind a quarter mile of traffic waiting for a bison to decide to move off the road.
Fall break FTW.

That happened to me but I was the third car in line... just didn’t know it. We were east side by the mud ponds and I saw a few parking spots on the side and quickly pulled in to park. My two kids and I got out and was walking over to the mud when I saw the buffalo coming at us. I blocked the kids backward toward the car and the buffalo grazed my shirt as he accelerated down a wooden walkway toward the river down below. I was very lucky.

That happened to me but I was the third car in line... just didn’t know it. We were east side by the mud ponds and I saw a few parking spots on the side and quickly pulled in to park. My two kids and I got out and was walking over to the mud when I saw the buffalo coming at us. I blocked the kids backward toward the car and the buffalo grazed my shirt as he accelerated down a wooden walkway toward the river down below. I was very lucky.
That doesnt sound lucky at all.

You can feed your entire family for $60 a day at Disney? That’s a little difficult to believe.

If you dont like amusement park rides you can always cattle in with sweaty mouthbreathers while your eardrums endure 160dB assault at Masquerade for under $100.
No, the horrible part is how cheap your ass is. "here kids, here is your Great Value Baloney on Great Value white bread with a dollop of Great Value mayo. Enjoy your childhood watching other kids with parents that aren't boring and cheap"

Masquerade, Terminal West, Tabernacle....sorry you are so damn dull. And most shows range from $12 to $40

You can feed your entire family for $60 a day at Disney? That’s a little difficult to believe.
Hey kids! Guess what? We are all going to have fun sharing a chicken finger meal! Everyone gets one finger except dad and mom, we get 1.5 because we are growed up. Little Johnny, grab some extra straws.

That because it’s impossible unless you are eating ice chips and granola bars brought from home.

(Ashamed to admit that I paid $400+ for a character dining lunch buffet.)

You have got to eat, whether you're at Disney or at home so I don't tend to focus too much on dining expenses. Though obviously there is a premium.

Back