What realistic hire would really excite you

Any coach that has three or four years of success will likely be hired away. That's the way of the world now. We should hire a coach that has a chance of having that success and then hire again when he is hired away. There are two choices: hire a guy that has no success and fire him in three or four years, or hire a guy who is successful and gets hired away in three or four years. Very few stay ten or twenty years these days.
Triple Option Coaches would stay to win at the Mecca of Paul Johnson’s career. That’s what we CAN become if we hire Monken.

When we fired Chan, PJ was my top choice. Not too many folks out there that would get me fired up today, but the Pirate would. Put your responses of people you think are realistic candidates and then I’ll make a poll and allow 3 choices for everyone and we’ll what StinGTalk says.

Or, someone with better math and data skills can do it :bigthumbup:

And also, dang it sucks PJ is leaving. I think it was JJacket that said it best: it’s like losing a part of the family.

I’ll add to the list and make the poll in a day or so. I’m really interested in the top 3 choices of ST. The ones I have so far:

Leach
Satterfield
Briles
Monken
Venables
Whisenhunt
Kiffin
Neal Brown
Tony Elliot
Mel Tucker
Dana Holgerson
Austin Peay Coach Will Healy
Chris Hatcher
Major Applewhite
Godsey
Strong
Kiffin, Neal Brown, Satterfield

I want Monken.

But the haters would ööööing revolt if we hired him, so I'd almost rather we didn't because I don't want to listen to their lip.

So we're going to hire someone who runs the same spread offense as everyone else, win 3 games a year, become a ghost town, and by then the option haters will be burned from our fan base because they'll finally realize what idiots they were.

Then we hire Monken, but he only wins 6 a year because he's got to rebuild from nothing.
Rebuild from nothing? Actually, isn't this what someone has to do *following* a triple option offense? Look at how much talent PJ had right after Gailey. Now the cupboard is bare for the next coach.

I do not want Monken. I do not want a pure option coach because the system is near impossible to recruit for at this level. I prefer someone who will install a multiple offense with option principles like Friedgen. I’m thinking someone from the Meyer tree is probably the closest we can get.

Rebuild from nothing? Actually, isn't this what someone has to do *following* a triple option offense? Look at how much talent PJ had right after Gailey. Now the cupboard is bare for the next coach.

I think my post about this line of reasoning got lost in the server upgrade so I'll try again.

Assuming that Graham can throw the ball (unknown at this point) why should it be hard to go from the TO to a spread/RPO option? Tech's light on WRs but could make due with the plethora of A backs on roster. A B Back would be great in the backfield with the QB. Doesn't Tech already run a B Back option from under center?

It seemed like every year trying to teach shotgun QBs to go under center and handle the mesh was a big drag on getting the O running. Getting a new HS shotgun QB would therefore be easier without the TO.

Sure seems easier to revert with the talent Tech has to a RPO offense than moving a Pro-style offense to the TO.

And the whole (weak) argument about the D having to practice against the TO goes away so the D should improve.

My wet dream would be to bring in a defensive whiz not named Foster, and then hire an OC who would run four plays out of the flexbone option reasonably well, 50% of the time, and devote the rest of the offense to passing. Force the other team to practice against option all week and then pass on them.

He coaches the best o'line in college football....and better than some in the pros.....he has relationships with high school programs that produce Alabama starters....and he is a former O line guy which makes him smarter than all the other positions.
Thanks for the response, but I still have to disagree.

That OL would be the best in CFB with or without him. They were equally dominant before he got there. The relationships with HS programs is semi-legit, but you could say the same about Tony Elliott, except Elliott didn't get fired after 1 year in his OC job. He went to the national championship. Then in year 2, he went back and won it. If we're even considering going after a coordinator, he should be the top choice by far.

Yeah I don't know why next year has to absolutely be a trainwreck if we go away from the 3O. Lucas Johnson, James Graham, and not-yet-signed Yates can all sling it. We'll be thin at WR but that's not a death knell

Thanks for the response, but I still have to disagree.

That OL would be the best in CFB with or without him. They were equally dominant before he got there. The relationships with HS programs is semi-legit, but you could say the same about Tony Elliott, except Elliott didn't get fired after 1 year in his OC job. He went to the national championship. Then in year 2, he went back and won it. If we're even considering going after a coordinator, he should be the top choice by far.
CPJ had/has good relationship with GA high school coaches too from his time at Southern. Lot of good that did us

Yeah I don't know why next year has to absolutely be a trainwreck if we go away from the 3O. Lucas Johnson, James Graham, and not-yet-signed Yates can all sling it. We'll be thin at WR but that's not a death knell
I think the theory is because we have a small mobile OL designed to push forward and open lanes. They have a poor record at pass blocking.

That's the concern, not saying I share it.

It could be a genius hire or a train wreck. Does he have the connections to build a staff? We could take a massive step backwards if he were to struggle there. He seems like a great guy, but 2 seasons calling plays at Clemson isn't a long resume.
As time passes, he is becoming a pretty attractive option. As a Clemson grad, here's my perception:

Chad Morris was supposed to be the next coming when he was at Clemson. Clemson started winning 10 or 11 games when he came in and were just shy of being considered elite. People freaked out when he left - Deshaun Watson was going to transfer, Swinney would be exposed, etc. In Tony Elliott's first game as playcaller, Clemson beat Oklahoma 40-6 with Cole Stoudt at QB. The same Cole Stoudt that threw 2 pick sixes against us and was garbage all season. The next year Clemson went to the national championship and passed for over 400 yards on Alabama, but lost. The following year, they did it again, passing for 400+ and winning this time.

Stylistically, Clemson started running the ball a lot more when Elliott took over playcalling. Morris would line up in shotgun on the goal line and we would be unable to get 1 yard when we needed it. We were a finesse team that couldn't establish physical dominance when we needed to because it wasn't our identity. Elliott runs the ball throughout the game and is actually able to feature players like Etienne while still getting Choice and Feaster plenty of carries. The contrast of 300+ lb Christian Wilkins scoring TDs at the goal line is just massively different from fade/slant routes being our best goal line option.

He's got a reputation as a fiery guy and a solid recruiter, as well as being relatable to players (he's only 39 years old). I remember his graduation with a 3.6 GPA in engineering at Clemson being touted as impressive when he was hired, which IMO is not irrelevant when being considered at GT. If anybody would truly understand the rigor of STEM curriculum, it would be him.

Lastly, Clemson has recruited six 4 or 5 star QBs since Elliott took over playcalling in 2015. That's not gonna happen at GT, but it doesn't hurt to have that pedigree.

Why is everyone so damned concerned about having a coach poached from us? I’d love to have a coach that made such a positive impact that other schools were trying to steal him away. That’s a good thing.
because continuity matters in College football ESPECIALLY for programs that already struggle with recruiting. We don't have the brand to simply automatically have a relationship with head coaches and we never will. This isn't an indictment against the program. It's an indictment against the current environment in media and recruiting hype.

He's got a reputation as a fiery guy and a solid recruiter, as well as being relatable to players (he's only 39 years old).
I don't know much about Clemson football, but I thought players felt that Elliott was much less fiery than Morris, per the ESPN article linked in the Elliott thread.

because continuity matters in College football ESPECIALLY for programs that already struggle with recruiting. We don't have the brand to simply automatically have a relationship with head coaches and we never will. This isn't an indictment against the program. It's an indictment against the current environment in media and recruiting hype.

It is but I think sometimes you need something to spike interest and success regardless of the outcome. Given that some fear either using the option or switching from the option will lead to the death of GT football, might be a time for it.

Back