What realistic hire would really excite you

Sure seems easier to revert with the talent Tech has to a RPO offense than moving a Pro-style offense to the TO.

And the whole (weak) argument about the D having to practice against the TO goes away so the D should improve.
I must've misunderstood your comment. I want an RPO offense here, not a pro style. I also think a majority of us want the college RPO offense rather than a pro style offense. I am not sure it will be instant success because teams like Nebraska and FSU have struggled in the transition to this type of offense. It's not guaranteed success for sure. To be fair, Nebraska and FSU transitioned from pro style to RPO but I think our transition will be much easier from the flexbone.

My wet dream would be to bring in a defensive whiz not named Foster, and then hire an OC who would run four plays out of the flexbone option reasonably well, 50% of the time, and devote the rest of the offense to passing. Force the other team to practice against option all week and then pass on them.
Isnt bohannon supposed to be a more multiple with option guy? I think KSU runs a lot more out of pistol

I don't know much about Clemson football, but I thought players felt that Elliott was much less fiery than Morris, per the ESPN article linked in the Elliott thread.
I mean, he's not Will Muschamp, but he's definitely a motivator that can connect with players.

because continuity matters in College football ESPECIALLY for programs that already struggle with recruiting. We don't have the brand to simply automatically have a relationship with head coaches and we never will. This isn't an indictment against the program. It's an indictment against the current environment in media and recruiting hype.
Maybe 30 years ago, but not so much today. What matters is:
1. Can GT get me to the NFL
2. How much fun can I have at GT
3. Playing time
4. Teammates
5. Offensive scheme
6. Is it a successful program
7. TV exposure
8. Quality of education
9. Jerseys
10. Stadium size
11. Something random
12. Something random
13. Something random
14. Continuity

How many of those do you think GT can offer right now? The 3O at GT does not get you 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, or 7.

continuity helps with HS coach relationships. I don't disagree with your overall assessment of the 18-year-old HS recruit's priorities though. I'm speaking specifically to scratching the backs of HS coaches who will be more willing to put in a good word for your program with his players. Granted there are plenty around this area that are basically angling for SEC coach positions by funneling recruits to them and thwarting their rivals, but that will always be the case.

what type of offense will you renew with? Because we will have a large option component to our offense.

Maybe 30 years ago, but not so much today. What matters is:
1. Can GT get me to the NFL
2. How much fun can I have at GT
3. Playing time
4. Teammates
5. Offensive scheme
6. Is it a successful program
7. TV exposure
8. Quality of education
9. Jerseys
10. Stadium size
11. Something random
12. Something random
13. Something random
14. Continuity

How many of those do you think GT can offer right now? The 3O at GT does not get you 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, or 7.

The 3O is irrelevant to 1 outside of QB, is irrelevant to 2 and 3, and probably makes us better than any other system for 6.

You're leaving off "not having to go to class" and "a bevy of sexy coeds" and "cash under the table" and "living in a custom resort for FB players built by the AA," all of which should feature in the top ten, and none of which GT can provide. And that's the reality we need to understand.

We have never beaten UGA in my life without a significant option component to our offense. Not. Once. And I'm 42 years old.
In Fridge's years we ran multiple sets. Yes, the option was one of them, but we also ran countless plays our of the power I, shotgun, and single-setback formations.

what type of offense will you renew with? Because we will have a large option component to our offense.

I have no problem with option plays. The under-center 3O run by CPJ, Monken, Niumatololo, and even the tweaked version under Bohannon that uses some shotgun will do nothing to help recruiting, which is our biggest weakness - we are already hamstrung in recruiting academically (chief among some others), and running the offense we run or a variation of it will continue our downward slide in talent. Kids don't want to play in it and it is hands down the easiest thing to recruit against for other coaches.

Kids will play in offenses like Auburn / Ohio State / Oregon etc that have a large option component, but while those offenses have a bunch of similarities in offensive theory and concepts, the eye test paints a different picture - and perception is reality.

The 3O is irrelevant to 1 outside of QB

That is absolutely not true. Our B-backs get in a 3 point stance (EDIT: Also they hit the LOS and then either get the ball bc there was a hole, or don't bc there wasn't - they aren't reading blocks and finding holes until after they are at the LOS, so they don't develop good RB "vision"), our OL rarely pass blocks and therefore is less attractive to NFL teams, our WRs run a limited route tree and rarely get the ball (NFL teams want to see you catch...you know the thing they draft you for).

Elliott and Leach are interesting for different reasons. I would like to know who is interested in our opening. Whoever is selected, I would like to retain Andy McCollum for his recruiting.

Right now my pick would be Monken, but if GT wants to work a deal with Auburn to get Malzahn, I wouldn't object.

Right now my pick would be Monken, but if GT wants to work a deal with Auburn to get Malzahn, I wouldn't object.

öööö. No.

Auburn is praying Malzhan leaves ... that never works well for the team picking up the coach nobody wants.

Back