White Smoke coming from the Edge Chimney

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Groh. No inside info, but my speculation. I think the only reason it wasn't announced sooner is the Miami job and now that he's interviewed either he or the Dolphins has decided that it's not a fit, so now GT can officially announce it.

Or CPJ told him not to get on that plane...

Not really. If he was interim DC and it didn't work out we could leave him at his old job without too much loss of face, get him a new boss for a couple years, let him develop more, and let him take over the DC spot later.

I'll be fine with whatever. My first thought was we'd promote Giff, so I'm not that bent out of shape about it. But it's certainly not going to get me excited about next year. With Giff, it's more of the same staff, so my expectations will be more of the same defensive performance.

Oh, I was reading that as promotion mid year last year, continuing on this year. I see what you're saying better now. You're saying interim DC last year, potentially backing down to position coach again for 2010. If that happened, it might be disheartening to him, but not the end of the world, and we'd expect he'd come up again in the future. I agree more with that I guess, but I also think the path we did take was good in that we gave CDW every opportunity to adjust and correct before deciding not to renew his role this year.

Regardless of who it winds up being, I think expectations are certainly anything but more of the same. :fingersx:

If it's Giff, I bet that would probably be a really cheap hire. Which is great when you have to pay to keep CPJ and get rid of CPH.

At work, twitter is blocked.

Someone search for Al Groh on twitter and see if they see anything.

If it's Giff, I bet that would probably be a really cheap hire. Which is great when you have t go pay to keep CPJ and get rid of CPH.

I'd be happier about promoting Giff if they'd announce the latter today as well. :fingersx:

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Groh. No inside info, but my speculation. I think the only reason it wasn't announced sooner is the Miami job and now that he's interviewed either he or the Dolphins has decided that it's not a fit, so now GT can officially announce it.

Seriously though, demjackets said something about the players having a favorite. Hard to imagine they were all rooting for old-man Groh instead of Giff, no?

CPJ is an offensive guy, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know a good defensive idea when he hears it. If it is Giff, then it is because CPJ sat down and had a long talk about the theory of the thing with him, and he is confident that Giff can measure up. If the players are pulling for Giff then doubly good, because he'll have the means to motivate and teach them effectively.

If it is Al Groh then, well, we been talkin' bout that for a while. I'm sure ya'll know the issue well enough.

Seriously though, demjackets said something about the players having a favorite. Hard to imagine they were all rooting for old-man Groh instead of Giff, no?

That's what I'm afraid of unless Groh spoke to them at those practices.

What does "White Smoke coming from the Edge Chimney" mean anyway?

Giff probably told PJ that if he were DC, he'd blitz 90% of the time. We're bound to force someone into some 3rd and long situations, no...and maybe, just maybe, force someone into kicking the ball.

Muschamp, after turning down the head coaching job at Tennessee, gives up millions of dollars at Texas to take the defensive coordinator position at Georgia Tech.

Back