Who can we beat on the rest of our schedule

Discussion in 'Football' started by BuzzLaw, Oct 12, 2019.

1. johncu

johncu Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greenville, SC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Fake news. Take a look at the offers from our defensive starters:
    Swilling: Bama, LSU, Michigan, etc.
    Walton: Vandy only P5 offer
    J. Thomas: Florida, Auburn, Miss St, etc.
    Carpenter: UCF was best offer
    Curry: Stole him from UVA
    C. Thomas: Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, etc.
    Oliver: USCe, Ole Miss, Miss St, etc.
    Dawson: WVU, Kentucky, Purdue etc.
    Owens: NC St, Miss St, Kentucky etc.
    Martin: Kentucky, BC
    Chimedza: FSU, UGA, Oregon, etc.

Several impressive offer lists, and the only guy who didn't have another P5 offer is probably one of our best players. The FCS talent meme is a lie, especially on the defensive side of the ball. We're definitely recruiting better now, but our recruiting wasn't terrible before. It was mediocre, but as good or better than every team we've played so far except Clemson.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Ed Sawyer

Ed Sawyer I eventually banged Lucy Matthews.

Loc:
    New York City
    Team:
    Ma Tech
    This is such a stupid ööööing line of argument. It's like saying Ron Zook is responsible for Florida's 2006 championship. If Temple wins 10 games this season, it'll be the third time in five years with double digit victories and Geoff's two seasons would be the ones where they didn't. But we're supposed to believe Geoff is this great coach because some other coaching staff is the one actually winning the games? Get the öööö out of here with that nonsense.

• Like Like x 7
    • Big Cry Big Cry x 3
  3. Wreck Em

Wreck Em Hype Queen

Loc:
    Commerce
    Team:
    GT
    Idk who but we can beat anyone. We could lose to anyone. 1st half team from USF shows up and we snag a few more.

4. Vespidie

Vespidie Helluva Engineer

Loc:
    Undisclosed
    Team:
    GT
    Did you see that racoon ööööing a deer?

• Big Cry Big Cry x 1
  5. gtchief

gtchief ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Loc:
    Alpharetta
    Team:
    GT
    WoodlandCritterChristmasBloodOrgy.gif

6. BrentwoodJacket

BrentwoodJacket Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Only two of those listed are on the defensive line. If you ranked recruiting classes based solely on DL and OL, I suspect we have been at the bottom of the P5 for a long time.

7. BainbridgeJacket

BainbridgeJacket A rare combination of humility and genius

Loc:
    Peanut gallery
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Care to list their class and the offer lists of their backups? What I find particularly curious is why the defense has been so consistently bad for so long with so many different coaches. I can only speculate.

8. aeromech

aeromech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...otball-yellow-jackets-prediction-preview-2019

A 75 ranking and a possible bowl sounds bad; but not horrible. BC is currently 75 and we are at 105.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-top-130-team-rankings-2019

9. aeromech

aeromech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Well, the argument used to be that they were practicing against the Triple Option and that was why they were so bad; but now they practice against a pro-style offense so... :dunno:

• Like Like x 2
    • Big Cry Big Cry x 1
  10. BainbridgeJacket

BainbridgeJacket A rare combination of humility and genius

Loc:
    Peanut gallery
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Well, if it's not the offense they're practicing against and it's not the recruiting (I disagree on this point), then it must be player development which it would be unrealistic to expect tremendous gains over a single offseason.

11. gtchief

gtchief ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Loc:
    Alpharetta
    Team:
    GT
    You weren't expecting the '85 Bears after nine WHOLE months to practice?

• Like Like x 1
  12. johncu

johncu Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greenville, SC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Our OL and DL recruiting is definitely weaker, and it certainly doesn't help that we lost our best players on both lines before the season even started.

That being said, I was responding to a post that said we mostly recruited against non-P5 teams. That's crap. Sure, we certainly recruited some players that went unnoticed by P5 schools but most of our players had other P5 offers, especially on defense.

• Like Like x 2
  13. DressCheeseSideSeaboard

DressCheeseSideSeaboard Cyborg

Loc:
    Out of town
    Team:
    Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
    Who can we beat?

[​IMG]

Who will we beat? :dunno:

• Like Like x 1
  14. beej67

beej67 new around here

Loc:
    the smouldering hellscape of east cobb
    Team:
    GT
    I wouldn't take the GT job without a long contract in any sport, because I know its fundamentally harder to recruit here, and I know I'll probably get fired when I don't perform as well as all the surrounding schools that don't have our disadvantages.

Unless, that is, I was some kind of coaching Xs and Os genius who could overcome the talent disparity with a system gimmick and had experience coaching at schools with a similar talent gap. We should probably be looking for someone like that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Big Cry Big Cry x 1
  15. GoGATech

GoGATech Big Dummy

Loc:
    GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech

• Like Like x 3
  16. GTRules

GTRules Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Orlando
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    ABBB1A69-5DB2-4E4E-90C7-7DDB1AA59E37.jpeg

17. GoGATech

GoGATech Big Dummy

Loc:
    GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Fake news.

I'll agree our red-zone and short yardage defense needs some work, but that will come when we get more experience and depth on the DL. But let's see how "out-coached" we got:

1st drive: Duke completes a ridiculous 42 yard pass that was well covered and contested. Defense still manages to hold Duke to a FG.

2nd drive: Gave duke great field position to start (after we overthrew a wide open Oliver for a TD) and forced them into a 4th down situation but they converted and eventually scored.

3rd drive: Once again gave them short field and they completed another ridiculously contested pass for 41 yards. Duke had 1st and goal to go and they eventually scored but we forced them into 4th down before they did.

4th drive: Finally got a good punt and made them drive the length of the field, but then a costly targeting penalty aided them for 15 yards. Couple plays later a missed tackle by LB and no safety help for a big run up the middle to the 1 yard line.

5th drive: Short field after we turn it over on downs on our own 31 yard line, also aided by a 15 yard penalty.

Then the blocked punt for TD.

Duke just made more plays than we did in the first half. That's not getting outcoached on D. After our 1st drive and the TD, our offense averaged 3.6 plays and 1:18 of clock per drive until the last drive where we scored another TD. That drive was still only 6 plays and 2:02 of possession. Our defense never got a chance to get a breather in the first half. And you mentioned our defense being as talented as Dukes offense, sure we have some talented recruits, but they are young and none have much real game experience. Let's also look at our LB core:

David Curry - played safety in HS
    Bruce Jordan-Swilling - played RB in HS
    Demetrius Knight - played QB in HS
    Charlie Thomas - played safety in HS
    Quez Jackson - is the only true LB on the roster getting snaps

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. GoGATech

GoGATech Big Dummy

Loc:
    GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Offer lists generally don't mean squat. How many of those offers were commitable? I'd wager less than 3/4.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  19. knoxjacket

knoxjacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Middle TN
    Team:
    The Georgia Institute of Technology Yellow Jackets
    No offense but if those guys (outside the Swillings) really had some of those offers they wouldn’t be here.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  20. GTsapper

GTsapper Island Wreck from Georgia Tech

Loc:
    St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Bingo

• Big Cry Big Cry x 1