Who is your favorite GT player ever and why?

Marco Coleman is up there for me. He and Calvin Tiggle were the defensive anchors on our championship team.

Roddy Jones, personal friend and amazing guy. His 2008 game against the pups was legendary. Close second would be Justin Thomas and Buttkicker would be 3rd

Roddy is mine too. All around great player with some legendary performances and an even better representative of the school after he graduated.

Would have gotten to meet him at the Tennessee game if not for a wedding. He stopped by my gameday crew’s tailgate to radio-call some flipcup for the pregame broadcast. Damn fall weddings.

Calvin! He’s my age and I was at Tech every year he played. He was incredible to watch. Too bad we couldn’t have better QB play while he was here. Not beating the dwags in his last season at Tech was just criminal.

I know they're obvious choices, but it's hard not to go with Joe Hamilton or Calvin Johnson. Dominant players that did amazing things at very visible positions. A lot of other guys have great moments (Nesbitt stealing back the fumble or scoring in OT against Wake; Roddy on the sideline at U[sic]GA; Kerry Watkins murders Clemson; Michael Johnson snuffs out a Maryland comeback bid), but for a career, Joe and Calvin get my vote.

JRjr

1a. Josh Nesbit. Represents EVERYTHING a Tech man is.
1b. Calvin Johnson. I was at GT while CJ was and watching him play in person was mesmerizing.

I was grateful that Calvin didn't go to UGAg. With the talent their teams had, they probably win a national title throwing to Calvin.

I'm going way back in time but this guy was a consensus All-American and I watched him dominate many games on the interior DL. Rock Perdoni was my all time favorite but there are many that could be anyone's personal favorite!

Joe Hamilton. Other people have named other guys I loved but Joe was superhuman to me. Watching the game against Georgia in 1999 it didn't really seem in doubt that we'd find a way to win, and it didn't matter that it required Sanks to fumble. They showed a clip during the game where Hamilton answered a question, that if it came down to him having the ball with the chance at victory, we'd win the game. And I didn't doubt it at all, I was just nervous to see how it would happen.

George Godsey is a close second on the merit of recovering the blocked 3rd down kick alone. One of the most heads-up plays I've ever seen. That game was ridiculous.

Shawn Jones followed by Marco Coleman. Shawn Jones led the program out of misery. As an old-timer, the program maybe has not been great since 1989 and 1990 but it's been watchable the last 27 years - exception b*** l****. The 70's and 80's before then were pretty dark years except for black watch, particularly the 80's but the 70's weren't much better as Pepper had talent but could never get us above 7 wins. Jones took us to the national championship from a team that had lost 14 straight ACC games by my count. I still remember the Maryland 89 game when we broke the streak 28-24 and was taken aback that we finally had a truly dynamic freshman Qb and player. Jones won the game. It's true that 1992 when he was hurt was a bad year, but even that year he played a dynamic game in the the most disappointing loss ever for GT against an FSU team that at that time just did not lose and was in the middle of 14 years of top 5 rankings from 87-2000. We had the game won and gave up a 4th and 10 and then an onside kickoff to lose. He almost beat one of the best dynasties in a bad year and the loss was not on him. Very dynamic runner and while not a great passer, he seemed to get the job done. He won several games for the team that we shouldn't have won beating UNC almost singlehandly in 89 with a Qb scramble out of no blocking.

My uncle played for Dodd. He’s one of my favorite people of all time. After him, it’d be a toss up. I guess I’d have to say Butker, though it’d be easy to go with many of the others mentioned in this thread.

Shawn Jones for me. He was a savior ar that time in the program. It was a shame he had to play his last year for the idiot B***L****, the Devil himself!

I think Josh Nesbitt takes top honors for me too. It probably has something to do with timing when he was at the helm. A convergence of me starting to get more into football, my last year at Tech (which was a blast), and Georgia Tech finally getting good. But he was also just a monster. What he lacked for technique, he made of three-fold in sheer will and determination.

Calvin is Numero uno for me. Grew up a college football fan and knew wherever I went to college had to be a D1 program. First GT game, freshman year was ND '06. While I'm still bitter about that game, it opened my eyes to who Calvin was.
2nd might be Philip Wheeler. His senior year when his dreads were long along with the visor he wore...Looked like a predator out on the field.

I became a GT fan when I started in '06 and I see a lot of names on here that I could put on a list. One more to me is Sean Bedford. Met him in my freshman chemistry class and was a nice guy to talk to. (I remember him telling me how freakish Michael Johnson was too!) Thought his story of walk-on D-lineman to All-ACC center is really neat.

c'mon man.

This is what I clicked on this thread to post. Ramblin' Robert Lavette - he was like an X-man who could dematerialize right before 8 defenders had him cornered and rematerialize somewhere downfield. Four years and I never saw anybody get a solid hit on him. 46 career TDs and over 4,000 career yards - both Tech records that have stood for over 30+ years. Considering how bad we were his first two years, its amazing his records still stand.

If you decide to watch any of the Alabama game in the YouTube link, you might notice a future NFL head coach on the GT offense.

Last edited:
Back