Why no Bowl game?

I think the refs needed to take some of the bowl games off. Worst officiated season of all time. Their glasses were all fogged up I suppose.
It really was all a bad case of

[actual results] * 0 + [desired result]

Not just with us.

The Army thing doesn't really bother me, that's one of the risks of being an independent. Join a conference and you wouldn't be in a situation like this.

There should be no conference tie-ins for bowls. Bowls should draft the teams in order of their payout.

3-7 - we don’t need to go bowling, I couldn’t care less what the ööööty teams in the SEC do.
From a game standpoint yeah it is stupid but I don't know if you watched us play this year, but IMHO we really, really, really coulda used the practice time.

Guys, half our QBs were in the portal and Sims was hurt. So, you're down to Yates, then a walk-on. Top two RBs also banged up. Selfishly, I really wanted a bowl but it honestly made no sense to do it.

You would also be having these guys quarantine in a hotel room for Christmas just to salvage a bit of revenue for espn. Flush this year and get after it in 21.

I thought that Gleason entered the portal after the Miami cancelation was announced.

That’s ridiculous. The team didn’t just quit. They were plagued by injuries and Covid. The team needs the rest more than they need a few meaningless practices. Let them rest and get back after it in the spring.
Practice is NEVER meaningless. Especially when you're early in the hardest transformation in the history of college football since the invention of the wheel. They could have rolled third teamers and walkons out there for the actual game for all I care. They could have taken the extra practices and practiced NOTHING but snap, block, hold, kick.

I thought that Gleason entered the portal after the Miami cancelation was announced.

Yes, which was before any decision was made on whether we would try to play a bowl. Regardless, his mind was made up and there is no way anyone planning to transfer would stick around for the Gasparilla bowl or whatever.

Declining a bowl was the right call given how embarrassing it is to accept a bowl spot as a 3-7 team, but quitting the Miami game was one of the most shameful and dwaglike things Collins has done so far.
Dude. We were beat to smithereens physically at that point in the year.

Probably. Do we know if we turned down a bowl invite, or were we never offered a bowl?

We took ourselves out of consideration before the invites went out. Yes, we very likely would have gotten one. Several games have been canceled because of how many teams opted out, including like half of our conference. So, it's not like we are the only ones who made this calculation.

The "practice" argument is the only one that makes any sense, but it doesn't really negate losing money to go play a bowl game with probably 1 scholarship QB available and who knows how many decimated position groups.

Last edited:
Declining a bowl was the right call given how embarrassing it is to accept a bowl spot as a 3-7 team, but quitting the Miami game was one of the most shameful and dwaglike things Collins has done so far.
Did I miss the press conference or press release where it was said that cancelling the Miami game was Collins' call to make?

We took ourselves out of consideration before the invites went out. Yes, we very likely would have gotten one. Several games have been canceled because of how many teams opted out, including like half of our conference. So, it's not like we are the only ones who made this calculation.

The "practice" argument is the only one that makes any sense, but it doesn't really negate losing money to go play a bowl game with probably 1 scholarship QB available and who knows how many decimated position groups.

You stupid idiot! Practicing in December for a game nobody wants to play, or watch, (except for a couple hundred drunken Wesleys) will not improve our team next year.

You stupid idiot! Practicing in December for a game nobody wants to play, or watch, (except for a couple hundred drunken Wesleys) will not improve our team next year.
Why are you assuming we are "practicing for a game" and not practicing to get generally better at football?

I thought most teams spent most of bowl practices working on next year and only worried about the game a few days (week at most) before the bowl.

Back