Will We Be Top 25 This Season?

Was told on a Skype call today before a meeting that the only chance Clemson has at losing this year is to Notre Dame. Of course, guy who said it is a Notre Dame fan.

lol
Did Paterdouche quit or something?

Amazingly enough, FSUs OL was worse than ours last year. Now with a 1st year coach who has had two public, player mutinies relating to two different issues. I think we’ve got a decent shot to extend the regular season win streak to 4 against them.

Nope. We might make the top 50 with all the teams not playing.

Probably a bit too cynical but that comes from watching back to back games of Virginia Tech and Duke. Both were essentially over at half time. Athlon's opposing coaches views had this tidbit about Tech from an opposing coach paraphrasing a bit here: " If Tech will run the ball better and not turn it over, they will win more games" Another coach said that we did not have "ACC caliber receivers and the offensive line was a mess." In all honesty I could not deny either. But I also watched again, the 2019 Virginia game and we were competitive, moved the ball and actually got pressure and sacked Bryce Perkins a couple of times. So there is that. James Graham should, in my opinion, try to model his game after Bryce Perkins the former quarterback for Virginia. He is quick, fast, and athletic like Bryce BUT he needs to develop that situational awareness that Perkins had and the ability to make fast, very fast, decisions on where to go with the ball. We will see... it may come... or it may not.

5 win ceiling.

Probably but that is better than winning three games and with this year's schedule that would be playing .500 ball which I would take in a heart beat. Not playing UNC and UGA has to help with the record.

Was told on a Skype call today before a meeting that the only chance Clemson has at losing this year is to Notre Dame. Of course, guy who said it is a Notre Dame fan.

ND under Kelly is a lot like VT under Beamer... good enough to get to the big games but not good enough to win them.

tenor.gif

Good recruiting isn't enough, you got to have good coaching to win.

Simmons' prediction: 2-9 (wins over Syracuse and Duke); Geoff Collins’ crew will be improved but this is still a long rebuild. The culture starts to shine through in year two though, even amid a 2-win season.

Crawford's prediction: 2-9 (wins over Syracuse and Duke); The Yellow Jackets play Florida State, UCF, Louisville and Clemson during the first half of the season, a brutal stretch that won't be kind to Geoff Collins' team.

I actually think we will be better than 2 wins. Not much better, but better. There are some good players on the field this year, but ultimately, QB will be what sinks this ship. And that's not to say the QB sucks. It's just that whomever it is won't be good enough to elevate the talent around him. This talent feels like 7-win talent...with a decent QB. But we don't have that.

Lol at Duke being worse than us.

Expect Duke to keep getting worse. They benefited greatly from us running the 3o. Smart guys who could play, but didn’t want to be in the 3o, went there when previously they would come here.
I would say Collins is going to cost them 1 starter and a guy or two off the two deep. It isn’t program crushing, but it will hurt them over a 5 year stretch.

I actually think we will be better than 2 wins. Not much better, but better. There are some good players on the field this year, but ultimately, QB will be what sinks this ship. And that's not to say the QB sucks. It's just that whomever it is won't be good enough to elevate the talent around him. This talent feels like 7-win talent...with a decent QB. But we don't have that.

When facing a passing situation of 2nd and 7 or worse on third down, Tech had a15% sack rate. This was the worst in the ACC and about 125th in the country. Facing a long drive from inside the twenty yard line Tech had a scoring rate of .10 points per drive which was the worst mark in the country. In the red zone, Tech scored only about 61% of the time which was the absolute worst in the country. So our problems on offense are due to quarterback...offensive line...receivers...head coach...assistant coaches...offensive coordinator...managers...trainers...everyone but running backs who did the best they could when not getting hit five yards deep in the backfield.

When facing a passing situation of 2nd and 7 or worse on third down, Tech had a15% sack rate. This was the worst in the ACC and about 125th in the country. Facing a long drive from inside the twenty yard line Tech had a scoring rate of .10 points per drive which was the worst mark in the country. In the red zone, Tech scored only about 61% of the time which was the absolute worst in the country. So our problems on offense are due to quarterback...offensive line...receivers...head coach...assistant coaches...offensive coordinator...managers...trainers...everyone but running backs who did the best they could when not getting hit five yards deep in the backfield.

Meh. I don't buy into this kitchen sink blame game (how can you even evaluate the WR's?!?). A decent QB on even last year's team wins another 1-2 games. The line was better by the end. The QB was not.

JG is not an ACC QB. He just isn't. If there is a silver lining with COVID, it give Collins another year to tinker in a major way with little fallout. Graham should be QB2 with the goal of moving him to another position for '21.

If there is a silver lining with COVID, it give Collins another year to tinker in a major way with little fallout.
Although I agree generally with this assessment, I'm conflicted about calling it a silver lining. Probably also gives dubious hires/recruits (our OC, some would say) another year of cover. "Hey, that was 2020 and COVID, not a normal year. Can't really judge a guy on that." Why not? It's still gonna be 11-on-11 over a 100 yds. Don't really see a good reason to make this is a 'special' year from the perspective of evaluating players or coaches.

Back