Will We Be Top 25 This Season?

Meh. I don't buy into this kitchen sink blame game (how can you even evaluate the WR's?!?). A decent QB on even last year's team wins another 1-2 games. The line was better by the end. The QB was not.

JG is not an ACC QB. He just isn't. If there is a silver lining with COVID, it give Collins another year to tinker in a major way with little fallout. Graham should be QB2 with the goal of moving him to another position for '21.

Beats me I am just the messenger. After subjecting myself to looking at the Duke, Virginia Tech, UGA, and UVA games again...It looked about as bad as I remember. We were competitive against UVA even though we lost. One of those coaches on Athlon claimed we had the "worst receiver group in the ACC". You are probably right about James but he is the quarterback for now. What you seem to be saying is that he is another Tobais Oliver. Maybe so. Block better and we will be able to move the ball. Against Virginia Tech we had a play where two linemen were blocking one down lineman and a linebacker ran untouched for a sack. It was that kind of a year. Better days ahead I am sure.

Beats me I am just the messenger. After subjecting myself to looking at the Duke, Virginia Tech, UGA, and UVA games again...It looked about as bad as I remember. We were competitive against UVA even though we lost. One of those coaches on Athlon claimed we had the "worst receiver group in the ACC". You are probably right about James but he is the quarterback for now. What you seem to be saying is that he is another Tobais Oliver. Maybe so. Block better and we will be able to move the ball. Against Virginia Tech we had a play where two linemen were blocking one down lineman and a linebacker ran untouched for a sack. It was that kind of a year. Better days ahead I am sure.
Sims or Gleason will be QB1 by game 3.

Meh. I don't buy into this kitchen sink blame game (how can you even evaluate the WR's?!?). A decent QB on even last year's team wins another 1-2 games. The line was better by the end. The QB was not.

JG is not an ACC QB. He just isn't. If there is a silver lining with COVID, it give Collins another year to tinker in a major way with little fallout. Graham should be QB2 with the goal of moving him to another position for '21.
Anyone would have struggled in his position last year. I think JG has a lot of natural ability and will develop quite a bit over the course of his career. Whether he can fend off the young guys coming in is a separate question, but I think we see a much improved JG this year and will withhold judgment until I see him play behind a better O line and with a full receiving corps (we should have both this year).

JG would be fine running something similar to Louisville or the pistol that Nevada runs. He just doesn’t fit our current system very well. Or at least what it appears our system will be.

After all the practices and drills Tech will have on offense, with the different qb's available, if JG is the starter I will have questions...

It’s wild that we can not comprehend that players can improve from one year to the next and that you cannot be an effective QB with an OL that can’t block and WR that cannot get open.

Look at JGs highlights and count how many time he gets annihilated after he releases the ball. The fact he made it through the season is a testament to his toughness.

It’s wild that we can not comprehend that players can improve from one year to the next and that you cannot be an effective QB with an OL that can’t block and WR that cannot get open.

Look at JGs highlights and count how many time he gets annihilated after he releases the ball. The fact he made it through the season is a testament to his toughness.

You blame the line and WR’s. I blame the QB. Sure, there could be progress, but it’s tough to un-learn bad mechanics.

You blame the line and WR’s. I blame the QB. Sure, there could be progress, but it’s tough to un-learn bad mechanics.
Oh, I blame both. Graham as a rs freshman was not ready and should not have been trotted out, but other available options were worse.

I don't blame the players, who gave their all.

I blame a jv roster left by the last coach exacerbated by injuries. Brown played lights out and gives us a taste of what is ahead for the program.

When facing a passing situation of 2nd and 7 or worse on third down, Tech had a15% sack rate. This was the worst in the ACC and about 125th in the country. Facing a long drive from inside the twenty yard line Tech had a scoring rate of .10 points per drive which was the worst mark in the country. In the red zone, Tech scored only about 61% of the time which was the absolute worst in the country. So our problems on offense are due to quarterback...offensive line...receivers...head coach...assistant coaches...offensive coordinator...managers...trainers...everyone but running backs who did the best they could when not getting hit five yards deep in the backfield.

You left off 'fans'.

Oh, I blame both. Graham as a rs freshman was not ready and should not have been trotted out, but other available options were worse.

I don't blame the players, who gave their all.

I blame a jv roster left by the last coach exacerbated by injuries. Brown played lights out and gives us a taste of what is ahead for the program.

Yep. Juries out on Paterdude but let’s not pretend Graham got any QB coaching his true FR year.

Tom Brady couldn’t have won 7 games with that line.

It was terrible. He was pressured on nearly 100% of passes, and those where he wasn't pressured it was a designed bootleg.

If you look at Graham's 247 recruiting profile, he is listed as an athlete not a QB. We need to go with one of the freshmen at QB. Graham and Yates should be at WR or CB. This is the best long term solution.

I actually think we will be better than 2 wins. Not much better, but better. There are some good players on the field this year, but ultimately, QB will be what sinks this ship. And that's not to say the QB sucks. It's just that whomever it is won't be good enough to elevate the talent around him. This talent feels like 7-win talent...with a decent QB. But we don't have that.
3 is better but not much

3 is better but not much

Sadly, I don't even see two guaranteed wins, but it will happen. I know some people are confident that JG will progress along with other position groups, but with JG I'd call that more hope than anything else. And it's not b/c of coaching or playcalling. There's a reason most schools envisioned him somewhere other than behind center.

Sadly, I don't even see two guaranteed wins, but it will happen. I know some people are confident that JG will progress along with other position groups, but with JG I'd call that more hope than anything else. And it's not b/c of coaching or playcalling. There's a reason most schools envisioned him somewhere other than behind center.
Guaranteed wins, in a year without lower level cupcakes and a reduced preparation schedule, is a myth.

That’s a weird way to look at it. Clemson is the only team in the conference that would have a guaranteed win on this ACC schedule if it were played under normal circumstances. With quarantining protocols there isn’t a single one on the schedule for any team.

We knocked off Miami on the road last year for crying out loud.

Back