Wish List

As far as wish list, just please God not anyone that runs a Pro-style offense. That would just about guarantee that 2014 ain't happening again, and it would be the most boring choice possible.

Call me optimistic, but I think he would give us a sniff. What other programs could’ve offered recently? A bunch of also ran SEC teams in either tough divisions or bad recruiting areas. Tech has an easy division, and is in a recruiting hot bed. Would be an easy place to win and, honestly, doesn’t demand very much in terms of expectations - we all know 7-8 wins per season and one 10 win season every 5 years would keep us happy until the end of time. The only other thing I can think of is BV is waiting for Saban to die/retire.
Yes I think it’s important to find that guy that wants to have consistent winning and stay at GT. We need a frank beamer type.

Surprised no one has brought up Mike Bloomgren yet.

Graduated FSU magna cum laude. Complete grad school at Alabama with a 4.0 as a grad assistant. Served under Rex Ryan and Brian Schottenheimer. He spent 6 years at Stanford, first as an O line/running backs coach and then as offensive coordinator.

I'd be curious to see if there is an opponent adjusted offensive stat (total offense? Total TDs?) that can be compared against fanbase size (total home attendance?). Look for outliers to find over-performing coaches at small schools?

But statistically we have probably been one of the best 10-20 offenses in the country over the past 10 years
I'm pulling for CPJ to turn things around, and I think we're on the same side in this ST Civil War. But hyperbole does not do our argument any favors.

CPJ's got a great system that is fun when it works, and relative to our talent level and our competition, our offense has definitely over-performed during his tenure. But we most definitely have not been a top 10-20 offense *on average* over the past 10 years. We've had moments of brilliance, stretches of over-performance, long periods of averageness, and some time just stinking. Here's the numbers you yourself chose to rely on in a recent thread.

Here are the Football Outsiders Offensive FEI ratings, FWIW. I really like FEI and it tends to jive with actual results pretty well.

2008: 24
2009: 2
2010: 64
2011: 16
2012: 11
2013: 39
2014: 3
2015: 88
2016: 21
2017: 23

So over the course of CPJ's tenure our OFEI ranking has been on average... 29. We had two spectacular seasons, but we've only finished in the Top 20 four of ten seasons. And 20% of the time we were basically at the bottom of all P5 teams... *just on offense.*

You gotta let that sink in, and acknowledge the reality of it, to really see where the offensive-genius-naysayers are coming from. It's not like they have no data to support their conclusions.

Last edited:
Surprised no one has brought up Mike Bloomgren yet.

Graduated FSU magna cum laude.
I can't believe you just endorsed "FSU magna cum laude" as a credential on a GT message board.

As my father-in-law (a FSU football player and graduate) likes to say, "It's just an academic institution."

I can't believe you just endorsed "FSU magna cum laude" as a credential on a GT message board.

As my father-in-law (a FSU football player and graduate) likes to say, "It's just an academic institution."

As elitist as some GT fans are about GT academics, magna cum laude and a 4.0 at least show the guy is smart and academics was a focus for him during his college years.

Brent Venables is a no-go. He already earns the same amount as CPJ.
Head coaches have big bonuses that coordinators don't get as big of a share of. A good season makes a big difference in hc take home pay, and might be enough to lure him.

Brent Venables is a no-go. He already earns the same amount as CPJ.
Head coaches have big bonuses that coordinators don't get as big of a share of. A good season makes a big difference in hc take home pay, and might be enough to lure him.
Brent Venables would not be interested in GT, but not because he makes more than CPJ and not because he's not eligible for bonuses.

Per SI, CPJ makes 50% more than Venables does now ($3 mil vs. $2 mil). And Venables is already entitled to bonuses comparable to what CPJ is likely to earn. For example, Venables gets an extra $200k-$400k each of the next 5 years just for sticking around.

The biggest reasons, though, are that Venables' son just entered Clemson as a freshman football player. And that Venables owes Clemson 25% of the deal if he leaves for a HC job elsewhere. So if he left after 2018, he'd leave behind his son *and* owe Clemson approximately $2 mil – equivalent to his entire 2018 salary.

I'm pulling for CPJ to turn things around, and I think we're on the same side in this ST Civil War. But hyperbole does not do our argument any favors.

CPJ's got a great system that is fun when it works, and relative to our talent level and our competition, our offense has definitely over-performed during his tenure. But we most definitely have not been a top 10-20 offense *on average* over the past 10 years.
Every team has up and down years, minus a very select few. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think our average of 29th means that there are 28 teams who have performed better than we have.

Obviously I don't have time to do the whole NCAA to prove anything, but here are some notable rankings since 2008.

Average Offensive FEI since 2008:
Georgia Tech: 29

Florida State: 29
Georgia: 29
Clemson: 30
Miami: 46
Virginia Tech: 65

As much as we love to bitch about those teams "leaving us behind" I think the rankings above are pretty meaningful. Obviously the defensive rankings would be sobering, but I still stand by what I said before. We have had one of the better offenses in CFB over the past 10 years, and star-for-star, I'd make the argument that we're easily top 5.

Overperformance on offense has been a strong suit for GT football under CPJ. It’s the host of other issues that may or may not get him fired this year.

Every team has up and down years, minus a very select few. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think our average of 29th means that there are 28 teams who have performed better than we have.
No you're right, I wasn't measuring total FEI productivity over the decade, but year-to-year fluctuation. But I don't see why that matters to your argument. We keep score game-to-game and award championships year-to-year. That's the metric that matters.
Average Offensive FEI since 2008:
Georgia Tech: 29

Florida State: 29
Georgia: 29
Clemson: 30
Miami: 46
Virginia Tech: 65

As much as we love to bitch about those teams "leaving us behind" I think the rankings above are pretty meaningful.
I'm not sure what this comparison is intending to show. I don't think anyone thinks those five teams have had a better offense than us for the past ten years... but so what? The success you refer to ("teams leaving us behind") is a reflection of how coaching changes at each of those schools have apparently improved them significantly. Is there any denying that Jimbo improved FSU, Smart improved UGA, Dabo improved Clemson, Richt improved Miami? (I'd agree on Fuentes the jury's still out.) If anything, these numbers demonstrate exactly why (a) offensive genius is only a part of football, and (b) changing head coaches can really change the direction of the program. Neither of those supports our "keep CPJ" argument, I don't think.
We have had one of the better offenses in CFB over the past 10 years
This is where we're disconnecting. We've had one of the better offenses in the CFB on two occasions in the past 10 years. And we've had one of the worse offenses in P5 football on two occasions in the past 10 years. And the rest of the time we've been average to above average. Hey, "above average" is pretty good in my book. The national champion is rarely the team with the best offense.
and star-for-star, I'd make the argument that we're easily top 5.
This may be, but it's also why lightweights don't fight heavyweights. Because being the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world doesn't mean you can beat a heavyweight. And unfortunately, we play heavyweights multiple times a season.

Care to make any updates to this list?

Home Run:
Les Miles
Brent Venables
Mike Leach
Lane Kiffin

Solid Hires:
Matt Campbell
Joe Moorhead
Nick Rolovich
Tim Murphy
Neal Brown

Last edited:
Care to make any updates to this list?

Home Run:
Les Miles
Brent Venables
Mike Leach
Lane Kiffin

Solid Hires:
Matt Campbell
Joe Moorhead
Nick Rolovich
Willie Fritz

I would move Miles and Leach to solid hires. Dunno what Les has left in the tank and Leach is pretty similar to CPJ. I would add Neal Brown and Mike Houston to solid, as well. I dont have any additional home runs to add at the moment. Pretty buzzed.

I would move Miles and ... to solid hires. ...Pretty buzzed.

You must be. Miles would be a ööööing disaster. He wouldn’t be able to recruit here to get superior athletes to cover up his lousy in game coaching. Hard pass.

If you want a coach who knows how to win in a challenging academic environment with a limited budget, this is your guy.

Harvard's competition plays with the same academic restrictions it does. GT's competition does not. But still, Murphy is an interesting idea. He's been there an awful long time, though.

Back