Yates gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
but my point is regardless of whether you are right, it's not coming back. Full stop.
I keep hearing this from people who, as far as I can tell, are not the AD, head coach, president, or big enough money donors to have an opinion worth a damn to any of the previously mentioned. It might turn out to be true, or it might not, but it's interesting so many treat this as absolute fact when you realistically have no idea.

I keep hearing this from people who, as far as I can tell, are not the AD, head coach, president, or big enough money donors to have an opinion worth a damn to any of the previously mentioned. It might turn out to be true, or it might not, but it's interesting so many treat this as absolute fact when you realistically have no idea.
The TO is never coming back to Tech. That is an absolute fact. You just don’t want to see it.

Where did I say it was? The only absolute here is you being an absolute moron.
The TO is absolutely not coming back. That being said, it’s not out of the question that I am an absolute moron as well. Either way, the TO is not coming back…

The TO is absolutely not coming back. That being said, it’s not out of the question that I am an absolute moron as well. Either way, the TO is not coming back…

To his point, unless you have some insider knowledge there's no reason an offense that's successful here couldn't come back. GS proved that sometimes it's better to go back to what worked instead of chasing after what's new.

To his point, unless you have some insider knowledge there's no reason an offense that's successful here couldn't come back. GS proved that sometimes it's better to go back to what worked instead of chasing after what's new.

No insider knowledge needed. No P5 AD in the country will touch it at this point. So unless we hire Paul Johnson himself as AD, a job he wouldn't want, it ain't coming back.

Other offenses have worked at GT and are currently working at similar schools and they have the advantage of not tanking your recruiting. We made a transition with a bargain basement staff and got the results we paid for. Panicking and going back would be foolish.

Last edited:
No insider knowledge needed. No P5 AD in the country will touch it at this point. So unless we hire Paul Johnson himself as AD, a job he wouldn't want, it ain't coming back.

Other offenses have worked at GT and are currently working at similar schools and they have the advantage of not tanking your recruiting. We made a transition with a bargain basement staff and got the results we paid for. Panicking and going back would be foolish.

Our recruiting ratings didn't change that much under cpj, they certainly didn't tank, and if you look at our transfers and lack of depth on the lines we aren't doing any better now. It seems like you're just repeating the same talking points as everyone else.

I agree that we got the staff we paid for, but 3 years of results is hardly panicking. It goes back to what Ive said about the advantages and disadvantages not being weighed properly and many of our issues being systemic. We might win big if we pay to play, but it's definitely not guaranteed. Yet GT isn't willing to right now (and may not have the fan base and stadium to do it anyway), and we have other factors that make it more difficult to succeed. Cpjs offense let us utilize athletes who didn't fit other schools and get a better staff for the money - both of which minimized some of our systemic issues.

So I don't see how why the strategy of doing what everyone else is doing but better than they are with disadvantages they don't have is a winning formula

Last edited:
Our recruiting ratings didn't change that much under cpj, they certainly didn't tank, and if you look at our transfers and lack of depth on the lines we aren't doing any better now. It seems like you're just repeating the same talking points as everyone else.

I agree that we got the staff we paid for, but 3 years of results is hardly panicking. It goes back to what Ive said about the advantages and disadvantages not being weighed properly and many of our issues being systemic. We might win big if we pay to play, but it's definitely not guaranteed. Yet GT isn't willing to right now (and may not have the fan base and stadium to do it anyway), and we have other factors that make it more difficult to succeed. Cpjs offense let us utilize athletes who didn't fit other schools and get a better staff for the money - both of which minimized some of our systemic issues.

So I don't see how why the strategy of doing what everyone else is doing but better than they are with disadvantages they don't have is a winning formula
With the most successful coach running the 3O here we averaged the same win % as Gailey, then he left before the current trend could dip below that.

Why do you have this magical idea that bringing in another 3O guy would be better than what PJ could do? You’d be happier if we had scratched 4-5 wins over the past three years to peak at 7 for the foreseeable future because clown man bad?

Speaking of non-option coaches…All of our option holdover transfers are sitting in the portal or transferred down in programs but somehow Nick Saban could’ve gotten them to 8 wins easy. Give me a ööööing break.

With the most successful coach running the 3O here we averaged the same win % as Gailey, then he left before the current trend could dip below that.

Why do you have this magical idea that bringing in another 3O guy would be better than what PJ could do? You’d be happier if we had scratched 4-5 wins over the past three years to peak at 7 for the foreseeable future because clown man bad?

Speaking of non-option coaches…All of our option holdover transfers are sitting in the portal or transferred down in programs but somehow Nick Saban could’ve gotten them to 8 wins easy. Give me a ööööing break.
But Gailey never won the ACC, took us to Orange Bowls or beat UGA. Intimating that the two coaches are comparable is asinine. Also, in his last year, when everyone complains that the talent was so poor, CPJ won 6 games so yes, Saban probably would have bested that. We need to move on. The problem is not CPJ. The problem is the coach that came in promising a vast improvement in recruiting, thus better on field performance, has not produced. All of the assistants that he hired and fired are on him. Those that left on their own accord could see the inevitable.

DO
"So you're happy with 3 win seasons?"
"Cost of doing business with the 3O. Didn't even have a P5 QB on the roster"
"We went to Urnge BOWLLS!"
"2014. The program was trending down. Zero excuse for 2015 for an eighth year coach"
"But he beat UGA!!111"
"He got his ass whipped his final two years and scratched a couple hundred yards. Welcome to the new norm"
"MaSs ExOdUs!!"
"Same amount as other schools. The transition holdovers went to FCS, G5, or exile in the Xfer Portal"
LOOP

Last edited:
DO
"So you're happy with 3 win seasons?"
"Cost of doing business with the 3O. Didn't even have a P5 QB on the roster"
"We went to Urnge BOWLLS!"
"2014. The program was trending down. Zero excuse for 2015 for an eighth year coach"
"But he beat UGA!!111"
"He got his ass whipped his final two years and scratched a couple hundred yards. Welcome to the new norm"
"MaSs ExOdUs!!"
"Same amount as other schools. The transition holdovers went to FCS, sub G5, or exile in the Xfer Portal"
LOOP

I don’t believe in code without a GOTO statement.

I find it fascinating that you're trying to argue a poor strawman while also acknowledging the sentence before that I believe we can find a better coach than CPJ who runs the option. I also find it interesting that you think I'm "option or die" when I've pretty clearly stated that's not the case.

I've explained multiple times in this thread the systemic issues & coach specific issues that explain downward trend at the end of CPJ's tenure (although 2 years is a poor trendline imho.) If you don't want to discuss the matter beyond "erge bowl man bad" then perhaps you should sit out a few rounds.

Last edited:
CPJ didn’t have a bad final two years trend. He was trending down offensively for his last four years. We went from being at or near the top in scoring in the first 2/3 of his tenure to middle of the pack in the last 1/3.

CPJ didn’t have a bad final two years trend. He was trending down offensively for his last four years. We went from being at or near the top in scoring in the first 2/3 of his tenure to middle of the pack in the last 1/3.

From another thread

GT off FEI rankings
2021 - 78
2020 - 92
2019 - 94
2018 - 19
2017 - 23
2016 - 29
2015 - 78
2014 - 2
2013 - 33
2012 - 15
2011 - 13
2010 - 61
2009 - 2
2008 - 31

From another thread
He was a fine OC except when the talent differential was too much.

I find it fascinating that you're trying to argue a poor strawman while also acknowledging the sentence before that I believe we can find a better coach than CPJ who runs the option.
Agreed, there are probably others that could handle the full range of head coaching responsibilities with little dropoff to his superior OC capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back