You’re the AD, who would you hire after next game?

Who would you hire?

• Mullen

• Monken

• Malzahn

• Fuente

• Whisenhunt

• Bowden

• Someone else

• Keep Collins

Results are only viewable after voting.
Geoff Collins...As some have said recently, it will cost Georgia Tech more NOT to fire Coach Collins than to keep him on for another year or two. While we still have talent, the time is now to get someone who knows what they are doing. If not, we will lose more money, lose talented players via the transfer portal, and our entire athletic program will suffer as a result. This is the worst situation I have seen Tech's football program in my lifetime. I'm too young to remember clearly the period from 1979 to 1981.

In all honesty I'd fire Thacker and demote Collins to DC and bring in somebody else to be the "CEO" of the program. Let Collins coach defense and recruit. Anything more than that and he's in over his head.

I dont get the love fest with Mullen. He walked into a gold mine at UF and made their recruiting WORSE.
Something strange happened at Florida. Maybe it’s as simple as he was king at Miss St where a nice bowl was fantastic, but Florida demands championships. But it’s like he just checked out mid season.

But I do get your point. If he can’t be successful with Florida’s resources, I don’t know how he’ll be successful with ours.

I also don't think he's the best available but still he's a lot better than what we have now.
If we're in such dire straits we need to fire Collins now and eat the buyout, we probably need something more than just better than Collins (assuming we can afford that).

Wow - why the heck would we want Mullen? And how could we afford him?

What about Jamey Chadwell? Good performance at Coastal, they have a clear offensive identity, and he isn't going to be super expensive.

Wow - why the heck would we want Mullen? And how could we afford him?

What about Jamey Chadwell? Good performance at Coastal, they have a clear offensive identity, and he isn't going to be super expensive.

Somebody coaching Team Mullet just outside the Redneck Riviera is going to need lots of high caliber help to plug the gaps in their lack of experience with a real academic department. The last person to be HC with no meaningful academic department experience was Chan Gailey. That resulted in flunkgate and shredding the O'Leary roster that Gailey inherited.

Somebody coaching Team Mullet just outside the Redneck Riviera is going to need lots of high caliber help to plug the gaps in their lack of experience with a real academic department. The last person to be HC with no meaningful academic department experience was Chan Gailey. That resulted in flunkgate and shredding the O'Leary roster that Gailey inherited.
Another person can be hired to handle that for $100k, there is no need to have the head coach focusing on that stuff.

Let me add a few random comments:

1. Reason Collins got paid 7 years out is our roster was atrocious and nobody would take the job on a short contract.
2. Reason we hired Collins is nobody wanted the job.
3. No reason to panic over roster. (a) we are overrating our talent. Outside of RB who is pro caliber? (b) the OLine in particular is a disaster, probably enough to prevent the new coach from just walking in and winning. (c) the transfer portal makes rebuilding at GT much easier for a coach that doesnt suck.

I say all that because last thing we need to do is kneejerk. We probably need to keep CGC for money. Although just because he may start next year, that doesnt mean we commit to 12 games of anal rape. I would tell him, and maybe say it publicly, that if we drop below 500 we can him and elevate Choice or Key to interim coach. Maybe we get lucky and öööö clicks without loafers in charge.

If we are going to hire a name coach*, especially one with baggage, I would like to see them put in a profit sharing instead of big guarantee. For example, say the coaching staff splits X% (20%?) of the proceeds from gameday.

*Not my preference but seems like all the fans expect that. Definition of insanity?

Last edited:
I voted Keep Collins only because I don’t see us being able to afford firing him AND bringing in a great coach to right the ship.
In your defense, there are no “great” coaches that are available right now.

He was 69-46 at Mississippi State and had 3 teams finish in top 25. He was 34-15 at UF with half his teams finishing in the top 10. He would be a huge step up from coach skinny pants. A coach with a winning record in the SEC should be able to get us back to mediocrity, then we can make a decision from there.
One thing we do know about Mullen, he definitely needs to hire a “great” defensive coordinator.

Why the hell should I trust Stansbury to hire a decent coach? Oh wait, I'm the AD! First thing is I prohibit Stansbury from ever setting foot on the campus, and put out the word to all my fellow AD's not to hire him even as a ticket window teller. Next, I sue Collins for fraud and non performance, and claw back all the money I've paid him for the last three years. Next, I hire someone with the nickname of 'Chainsaw' to evaluate the entire AD department. Then I buy a huge set of knee pads, and visit every season ticket holder for the last five years begging for one more chance.

Then I begin a head coach search. If I can stand to be in the room with the candidate, then he is rejected. It is going to take the biggest SOB to ever walk a sideline to straighten this out. He gets a three year contract with most of the money up front. By year three, he knows he will never get another job, so he has to produce a winner to continue coaching. He has to hate the ATL, Waffle House, the 404, the Urinal-Constipation, UNC, Miami, and uga. I want someone that can convince the Hanson brothers, Roman Reigns, and Nasty Nate Stimson that they can legally assault people for twelve Saturdays each fall without going to prison. We can assuage the Politically Correct's sensibilities by giving prison parolees a chance at a college education. That coaches name is probably something rhyming with Patton.

I will have kegger parties before each game in Peter's Park. There are plenty of frustrated cheer leaders laboring away at the Cheetah club. There are two pinata hanging at the North End of BDS that look like Stansbury and Collins. Season ticket holders of 25+ years get first shot at them to get at the Benjamins inside. Visitor locker rooms are full of Covid, and tests are administered at the start of each quarter to ensure player safety.

The best news, though, is that I will do this job for free.
1637610405819.jpeg

He also dislikes recruiting, not exactly a winning strategy at Tech.
That quote was taken out of context, though he did not recruit at a level Florida fans thought he should.

I think Mullen’s coaching style would work well at Tech. Stay in the top 30 recruiting wise and actually develop as roster that makes a run every 2-3 years like he did as Miss St. Key difference is he will be in the ACC coastal instead of SEC west.

Back