You think we ever play at Southern or State?

Analogy might hold true if you were a Bulldog or if we had not almost beat Wisconsin. Cheerio and happy Saturday all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GT has more National Championships than both those schools, combined

Yeah but your football program is not better than either.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
And yet it took UGAg until the late 90's to FINALLY have as many Sugar Bowl wins at GT. They FINALLY played Tennessee as many times as we have in the 2000's - IIRC, after ducking Tennessee for decades to feast on Vandy and Kentucky.

As for Wisconsin, GT is 17th in all time wins CFB, Wisconsin is 30th. Don't know by what measure they are a better program in your eyes. The only team they have dominated in the history of their program is Purdue. Michigan is 50-14 better than Wisconsin. Ohio State 58-18. Wisconsin is essentially the NC State of the Big 10

UGAg is 11th in all time wins, btw, and have impressive records against Vandy, USuCk, Kentucky and the Mississippis. GT didn't play those schools a lot in the olden days. We stuck with Tennessee, Notre Dame, Alabama. UGAg doesn't even count two of our victories over them, even though every other record book does, because they lost and got their feeling hurt. Georgia fans are super duper excited about playing Notre Dame - for the second time in history. GT has played Notre Dame 35 times.

And yours will forever suck and eventually be replaced in the state pecking order with Kennesaw State.

I suppose if Kennesaw State buys Sun Trust Park in 50 or 100 years we should worry. As it is what CSE and staff did in 5 weeks and what their 2018 offer sheet looks like tells me we will perennially suck.

As for the rest, I know history. I also know that no P5 program located on Atlanta, Georgia should ever Win less Jan 10 games annually or ever be outside the Top 25 final poll or outside the Top 25 recruiting rankings. It's really a question of long PJ stays on the flats.

Guys, just ignore the delusional trolls. Arguing with them legitimizes their claims.

I was on the faculty at GPC right before the merger. All of the merger business was a political play by Hank Huckabee as a compromise to a failed play by the state years prior to absorb the two-year colleges into the technical school system (which would have been the smarter move).

When the legislature started the merger talk around 2005, the BOR circumvented the state's plans by changing the designation of two year colleges, making them "state colleges". I took my first faculty position at ABAC the following year in 2006, so witnessed first-hand how the BOR attempted to cut the state off at the pass.

By 2007, the newly minted state colleges were given a mandate from the BOR to start developing 4-year degrees and submitting proposals for those programs to the BOR by 2008. I wrote my first degree program while at ABAC, which was approved as were two others authored by different "schools" at ABAC. This was all done at the direction of then chancellor Errol Davis.

When I got to GPC in 2009, Davis was still pushing the 4-year degree mandate. Then the APS scandal hit, Davis was pulled away to handle that and Huckabee took over as chancellor of the BOR. His background is peculiar for such a post - most interesting is his connection to Nathan Deal who had just been elected governor. The mergers began shortly after Huckabee, primarily consolidating the former two-year schools into larger institutions, which satisfied the state's earlier desire to shrink the number of schools in the USG, just through a different strategy.

GPC's president at that time, Anthony Tricoli, was not having any of it. He continued to pursue the 4-year state college route - so much so that I was promoted to a newly created position for developing 4-year degree programs in 2011. In the spring of 2012 there was a budget shortfall of $16 million that appeared seemingly from nowhere in the GPC budget. Tricoli was forced to resign, there were 300 GPC employees rif'd and the school was put on a budget lockdown with Tricoli and the CFO blamed for poor financial management. Incidentally, the person tapped to serve as interim president at GPC was also the person in charge of budget oversight of USG schools - the person who audited the USG school budgets and had signed off on GPC's budget reports in the years leading up to the budget issue. Also, Tricoli nor anyone on his staff were ever found to be incompetent or at fault by the USG or a court.

Three years later, GPC was finally merged with GSU. The whole thing is nuts.

Last edited:
Some mergers made sense for schools with similar missions serving similar constituencies. Too many politics involved, especially with regard to perennially underperforming HBCUs. GPC is gone but Atlanta Metro State College survives?

Augusta State/MCG - fail (watch for the slow steady migration of the old MCG to Athens)
KSU/SPSU - fail
Southern/Armstrong - good
N Georgia/Gainesville - good
GSU/GPC - fail
Most mergers in South Georgia - good

Neither GPC or GSU was served well.
Imagine Tech or UGA forced to absorb a massive 2 year college. What a joke. Kind of like somebody calling it an asset for the sake of a fledgling football program. GSU athletics will eventually be successful regardless though. The steady march towards a traditional campus downtown took a huge step forward with the Turner Field deal.

The BOR wanted to go after the Extension Model for State / GPC. Harvard offers Harvard Extension (a community college where anyone can get in) with no impact to Harvard College's reputation.

But the way Harvard does it is to offer anyone admission to Extension and then require top level performance in a few initial classes to continue the program. Those classes are difficult enough that only a small number of students are able to be successful.

Harvard can have that model because they're private and there's an existing public community college. If GSU turned GPC into an extension college were only a small number of students succeeded, there would need to be a community college for the rest of the students.

And Harvard has something like $70 billion in the bank.

And Harvard has something like $70 billion in the bank.
They charge far less for those classes. A bachelor's degree costs $20,000 - $40,000, total. It's their version of a community college.

Analogy might hold true if you were a Bulldog or if we had not almost beat Wisconsin. Cheerio and happy Saturday all.

"we almost beat Wisconsin". Bless your soul, kind of like how you got a letter in the mail that said "you almost got into Georgia Tech" or "you almost got into UGA"

Last edited:
"we almost beat Wisconsin". Bless your soul, kind of like how you got a letter in the mail that said "you almost got into Georgia Tech" or "you almost got into UGA"
LOL. Am.i supposed to feel bad for not going to Tech or UGA? LMAO!

LOL. Am.i supposed to feel bad for not going to Tech or UGA? LMAO!

Well, you are here. Has to be some sort of reason you signed up. Did you think you'd convert the board to a Georgia State cheerleader board?

Well, you are here. Has to be some sort of reason you signed up. Did you think you'd convert the board to a Georgia State cheerleader board?
So yeah...I answered the OP...my bad

Back