öööö the SEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this "mostly", but we are not going to beat teams like UGAG (which we did in 2014) doing it like the factories. I am not happy just competing in the ACC - I want some special years as well. And, in my mind, the Institute must do it differently than the factories.

The 2014 team wasn't beating today's UGAG nor the Clemsons of the last few years either. It took the future NFL minor league team in Tuscaloosa to beat the mutts this year.

I get the impression that you think Monken & Ken N are beating the pavement and knocking down doors 24/7/365, begging HS kids to please come and play at a US military academy.

Right, obviously they don't chase NFL-career guys. Nor is their fanbase rabid. and some kids simply want to go to a service academy regardless.

Which makes service academy recruiting easier than at a P5 school. Which is literally the only point I'm trying to make and that you continue to tangentially dodge.

I found this one quote from Ross which might change your perspective:

In December 2003, Ross ended his retirement to become the coach at Army, returning to the college game after previous stints with The Citadel, Maryland and Georgia Tech.
His new challenge was not an easy one.
"Recruiting for a military school during a war is very difficult," said Ross, a former Army lieutenant.
After winning nine games in three seasons at West Point, he retired again in January 2007.
During a four-day recruiting trip that January, he had traveled from West Point to Virginia to California to Oregon to Oklahoma to Texas to Alabama before returning to the school for a recruiting weekend. A weary Ross then missed three of the next 10 days of work.
"I had missed one day in my life, and that was when I was an assistant to John McKenna at VMI in 1965," he said. "I just wasn't feeling good."

Retired Ross focuses on family now | Archive | roanoke.com

Not many P5 schools have had to discuss the potential of being stationed in Afghanistan with their football recruits.

You may want to disclose your beef with Monken before criticizing him, so everyone knows you have an axe to grind here.
giphy.gif

The 2014 team wasn't beating today's UGAG nor the Clemsons of the last few years either. It took the future NFL minor league team in Tuscaloosa to beat the mutts this year.

I don’t know that. Any team with a superior offense would have a chance.

Bammer almost lost the week before to a very pedestrian AllBarn team.

We will agree to disagree.

Gentry Bonds, Tre Swilling, BJ Swilling, Kaleb Oliver

What else ya got Chief öööö-for-brains?
Gentry Bonds, Tre Swilling, BJ Swilling, Kaleb Oliver

What else ya got Chief öööö-for-brains?
Not in “24/7”. In your mind maybe though. Good for you.

Last edited:
His great success is the same winning % as Gailey.
Yep.
It’s amazing how beating UGA endears Tech fans to a coach. But it amazes me Gailey coached in The NFL and PJ never did. I seems to me that PJ has a lot more football knowledge than Gailey. He just ran a very unpopular system and was a lousy recruiter.

Yep.
It’s amazing how beating UGA endears Tech fans to a coach. But it amazes me Gailey coached in The NFL and PJ never did. I seems to me that PJ has a lot more football knowledge than Gailey. He just ran a very unpopular system and was a lousy recruiter.
CPJ did manage to take our most talented team of the century and lose to UGAg's least talented team of the century.

Then can you interpret this for me:

Because it sounds an awful lot like Monken doesn't have to recuit, which is false; and service academies basically recuit themselves, which is also false. The whole premise is moronic.

It is like the dolt that says Saban doesn't have to recruit because players just grow up wanting to play for Alabama. There is an ounce of truth there I guess; but Saban would dismiss you as a moron if you completely believed that.
OK. I will entertain your “Monken can recruit with the 3/0 fantasy”.
But still..Do you think he runs the TO better than Paul Johnson? Would he have better coordinators? You really believe that he would have taken over that roster that Paul Johnson left, recruited fresh talent and turned it into consecutive 7, 8 or 9 win seasons?

I don’t. And I would not trade Collins for Monken right now. Collins is a knucklehead coach. But he is an offensive coordinator or defensive coordinator away from winning. He can recruit good talent.

Last edited:
Nobody wanted CPJ flunkie. Hell, folks was happy when left the first time. If you want a program sink any further in irrelevancy and debt, bring in Monken
We were in the black under Johnson. Spent $9M to lose $3M in revenue in the imbecile’s first season. Call me crazy but 9+3=12. Great ROI there. We had to have special fundraising to get us to even. I’m writing off the 2020 season because he wasn’t in control of that. He lost approx $6M in revenue this season and we’ll be lucky to only lose $7M in revenue next season. So far the imbecile has cost us about $18M. It will be in excess of $25M after 2022. Call it what you want, but he’s a VERY expensive loser.

CPJ did manage to take our most talented team of the century and lose to UGAg's least talented team of the century.
I think I'd actually take a healthy 2014 team - with Zenon, Snoddy and Smelter, two of whom were out for UGa and all three out for FSU and Missy State - over the 09 team, on offense, particularly.

He should have been our replacement for CPJ if it weren't that TStan was so adamant about leaving the 3O. Monken is more than just 3O. Their game winning drive had the QB in shotgun and they looked pretty good too. I hope Tech considers him when the job comes open soon. Could have won the ACC this year with a coach like Monken instead it was the #win21 joke.

Was win21 one of GCs branding things? Has anybody changed it to #win2+1 yet?

I found this one quote from Ross which might change your perspective:

In December 2003, Ross ended his retirement to become the coach at Army, returning to the college game after previous stints with The Citadel, Maryland and Georgia Tech.
His new challenge was not an easy one.
"Recruiting for a military school during a war is very difficult," said Ross, a former Army lieutenant.
After winning nine games in three seasons at West Point, he retired again in January 2007.
During a four-day recruiting trip that January, he had traveled from West Point to Virginia to California to Oregon to Oklahoma to Texas to Alabama before returning to the school for a recruiting weekend. A weary Ross then missed three of the next 10 days of work.
"I had missed one day in my life, and that was when I was an assistant to John McKenna at VMI in 1965," he said. "I just wasn't feeling good."

Retired Ross focuses on family now | Archive | roanoke.com

Not many P5 schools have had to discuss the potential of being stationed in Afghanistan with their football recruits.
Amazing how much BS is flung around here. It’s nice to see some facts now & again and not blind loyalty to the imbecile and his weak system. Damn, you’d think a GT site would be at least somewhat analytical.

Yep.

It's not just beating U[sic]GA, though of course that matters a lot. He also won a conference title, multiple division titles, an Orange Bowl, and was named ACC coach of the year three times.

I know it's argued to death how much of those things he was actually responsible for, but it's silly to pretend the only reason that people like him is because he beat U[sic]GA. A lot of good things at Tech happened while he was here.

I think I'd actually take a healthy 2014 team - with Zenon, Snoddy and Smelter, two of whom were out for UGa and all three out for FSU and Missy State - over the 09 team, on offense, particularly.
2014 would have NEVER prevented a first down from 2009.

It's not just beating U[sic]GA, though of course that matters a lot. He also won a conference title, multiple division titles, an Orange Bowl, and was named ACC coach of the year three times.

I know it's argued to death how much of those things he was actually responsible for, but it's silly to pretend the only reason that people like him is because he beat U[sic]GA. A lot of good things at Tech happened while he was here.
A lot of good things happened with Gailey here too. Auburn, Miami, when they were both good teams.

You wouldn’t even have close to the caliber of player here if Monken came. You can’t have A and think B would still happen
I don't understand why you think the players Waffle House brought in are better than the kids Monken would bring? Forget recruiting rankings, this talent won 3 games in a bad ACC. Monken might not have recruited as top of talent (although maybe he would) but I'm not a uga fan who wants to win recruiting championships; I want to win big football games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back