2023/24 Coaching Carousel

Former Navy HC Ken N is the new HC at San Jose State and is not running the spread option O. Instead they’ll be running the "Spread-N-Shred" offense.

No triple option, just the standard college spread offense that throws it all over the field. Ken N can adapt but Paul Johnson would not other than that short-lived diamond formation. Not that I'm trolling and trying to bait the PJ lovers but I do wonder why he was so danged stubborn?

No triple option, just the standard college spread offense that throws it all over the field. Ken N can adapt but Paul Johnson would not other than that short-lived diamond formation. Not that I'm trolling and trying to bait the PJ lovers but I do wonder why he was so danged stubborn?

I don't think it was stubbornness, I think he believed that his system gave him the best chance to win. He may have been right or wrong about that but I'm pretty sure if he thought something else would have worked better he would've done it - didn't he use a heavily run and shoot influenced scheme at Hawaii?. I mean look at it this way - do you think the reason that he was out there, what motivated him was his desire to use his offense even if he thought something else was better - that would be ego/stubbornness, but he has talked about his competitive desire to win time and time again.

Because in his third to last season he won 9 games, a bowl game, came in second for the unpteenth time in his division and beat UGA. In his second to last season he had 3 losses by one score. And in his last season he only needed to beat Pittsburgh to win the division again coming in second. So basically despite not being able to make us a national title contender every season we were still very very good and could’ve continued being good.

Monken pretty much went away from the triple this past season at Army.
Navy may do so after hiring Chesnut from Kennesaw and then firing him after a year (Chesnut played tackle at Southern for PJ and he was really good). They brought in Mercer HC Drew Cronic - they're going to run something called a hybrid Wing-T?

And PJ, as I've said before and I will go on record as one of his most ardent defenders, could be stubborn as hell. It was kinda the "goddamnit, this worked in practice! WTF can't we run it right today!" mindset
Just for Kirbys and giggles, I rewatched 09 GT at FSU over the last couple of nights, and watching PJ go to trips to one side, motion out of that and run option and midline and then the sideline shots of Mickey Andrews wondering what the hell was hitting them was priceless all over again.
Boy, Bob Davie sucked at a lot of things. Coaching and commentating, for starters. But I digress.

Monken pretty much went away from the triple this past season at Army.
Navy may do so after hiring Chesnut from Kennesaw and then firing him after a year (Chesnut played tackle at Southern for PJ and he was really good). They brought in Mercer HC Drew Cronic - they're going to run something called a hybrid Wing-T?

And PJ, as I've said before and I will go on record as one of his most ardent defenders, could be stubborn as hell. It was kinda the "goddamnit, this worked in practice! WTF can't we run it right today!" mindset
Just for Kirbys and giggles, I rewatched 09 GT at FSU over the last couple of nights, and watching PJ go to trips to one side, motion out of that and run option and midline and then the sideline shots of Mickey Andrews wondering what the hell was hitting them was priceless all over again.
Boy, Bob Davie sucked at a lot of things. Coaching and commentating, for starters. But I digress.
I love to watch TO teams. Fun to watch. Too bad modern players don't want to play in it or even against it. Even the academies had to change with the times.

I love to watch TO teams. Fun to watch. Too bad modern players don't want to play in it or even against it. Even the academies had to change with the times.
They "rules" it out. It's not practical anymore.

That ööööing guy! If he doesn’t pull off some wins against a murderous schedule we have Fridge as HC.

Instead he wins. The next year Maryland hires Fridge as HC then Davey gets canned and ND hired GOL.

He gets canned a year earlier, ND hires GOL coming off of National Coach of the Year award, we promote Fridge to HC.

I see we've poached some more folks from Duke. How many are we up to now? 3? Not that I have a problem with that, their defense was pretty solid. Also, I thought the quality control coordinator for Duke was Nicholas Sewak. Not sure if he's still there or what.

Duke quality control coordinator Tanner Cotman will join defensive coordinator Tyler Santucci at Georgia Tech, sources tell FootballScoop.

I see we've poached some more folks from Duke. How many are we up to now? 3? Not that I have a problem with that, their defense was pretty solid. Also, I thought the quality control coordinator for Duke was Nicholas Sewak. Not sure if he's still there or what.

Duke quality control coordinator Tanner Cotman will join defensive coordinator Tyler Santucci at Georgia Tech, sources tell FootballScoop.

This has triggered a small PTSD flashback.

Back