$3 million a year from Adidas

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
It's the intangibles that have the greatest potential to make this work right.

1) consistent colors
2) new and consistent wordmark for athletics
3) better control/consistency of the brand and logos (Would it kill us to have one "GT" logo)

I remain skeptical that Adidas is going to do all of these things the right way for us. Nike would have been the Cadillac for these things. But... If they can it will be more than worth it.

The honeycomb on our white helmets is just subtle enough that it doesn't bother me. I wouldn't cry if it went away though.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
It is interesting how you guys are trying to rationalize away the fact that our new uniform deal nets us $750K less cash per year. It seems like a bad deal to me, but I guess the other companies weren't knocking down our door.

It is interesting how you guys are trying to rationalize away the fact that our new uniform deal nets us $750K less cash per year. It seems like a bad deal to me, but I guess the other companies weren't knocking down our door.
I can save a lot of money shopping at Aldi, but would you be impressed at a party if I served Clancy’s potato chips and Imperium beer?

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
It's not rationalizing. Stansbury pretty well laid out that our position wasn't very advantageous. No reason to think that it was a bad deal or that it wasn't the best deal we could have gotten. Russell was hanging on for dear life with our last deal.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
It's not rationalizing. Stansbury pretty well laid out that our position wasn't very advantageous. No reason to think that it was a bad deal or that it wasn't the best deal we could have gotten. Russell was hanging on for dear life with our last deal.
Maybe if we had kept Russell in play it would've forced Adidas to sweeten the deal a bit?

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Maybe if we had kept Russell in play it would've forced Adidas to sweeten the deal a bit?
I don’t think we had that option due to Russell getting out of uniform business.

Basically, we stuck with Russell because “reasons” for way too long and lost any leverage when Russell said it was no longer making uniforms effective end of our agreement. The time to have capitalized on a non-Russell deal was the last contract.

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
I don't think Russell could have been kept in play. Since the last deal they made with us they finally decided they were not going to compete and were never going to be serious players. My understanding is that their corporate strategy shifted which makes sense.

33jacket

Dodd-Like
In what world do you see us getting to the playoffs without winning the ACC championship first?

By the way, the last time we had back-to-back 9 win seasons before 08-09 was 55-56. O'Leary had a 10-8-9 streak and Johnson has the 11-3-9 streak, so I think it's a reasonable goal that would show program improvement.
Its getting back to back acc champs right? Not just getting there once or winning it. We dont get squat for bonuses just winning the acc once.

In my point. I would also have negotiated getting to the playoffs as a bonus. If you get there clearly u won the acc. But it doesnt require to you to get to the acc title again the next year or win the natty.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
I don't think Russell could have been kept in play. Since the last deal they made with us they finally decided they were not going to compete and were never going to be serious players. My understanding is that their corporate strategy shifted which makes sense.
Everyone was saying Russell is going to focus on youth sports and a quick look at their website seems to fit that assumption. I think they still have a couple of years on their deal with poor Western Kentucky, though.

killerB

Sidewalk Fan
It's a deal about re-branding. Order the max on all new unis for sports teams including multiple alternates. Flood the bookstore and other stores with tons of apparel. Give away a ton of it to high school recruits. Give it away to middle schoolers at various events. Keep ordering alternates for the players because they love that öööö. All the apparel will match. The brand becomes recognizable. Disperse it all nationwide with our new recruiting plan. After 6 years, GT is betting their brand has increased value as well as team production. Ask for more cash. Spend less on uniforms and apparel as the uniform styles should be settled. Keep ordering alternates. I didn't check our future opponents, but immediately rig it to the easiest back-to-back seasons possible and hope like hell we win 9+ games both years and get $450k. That's a $650k total. That softens the loss. Further, hope like hell that's back-to-back ACCCG appearances. That's an extra $250k. Plus the article indicated there are additional ways to earn more money for football, men's and women's hoops, and baseball.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
It's the intangibles that have the greatest potential to make this work right.

1) consistent colors
2) new and consistent wordmark for athletics
3) better control/consistency of the brand and logos (Would it kill us to have one "GT" logo)

I remain skeptical that Adidas is going to do all of these things the right way for us. Nike would have been the Cadillac for these things. But... If they can it will be more than worth it.

The honeycomb on our white helmets is just subtle enough that it doesn't bother me. I wouldn't cry if it went away though.
Nike is for old people now.

cyptomcat

Hibernating
Its getting back to back acc champs right? Not just getting there once or winning it. We dont get squat for bonuses just winning the acc once.

In my point. I would also have negotiated getting to the playoffs as a bonus. If you get there clearly u won the acc. But it doesnt require to you to get to the acc title again the next year or win the natty.
"The cash “retainer fee” will increase annually by $1 million if the Jackets win a football national championship, $500,000 if they win the ACC and $250,000 if they appear in the ACC title game two years in a row. The retainer fee will be adjusted by $450,000 if the team wins nine games in a row in back-to-back seasons.

The contract will be increased for performance by the men’s basketball team, as well – $500,000 for a national championship, $250,000 for an ACC conference championship and $125,000 for reaching the ACC championship game two years in a row."

HurricaneJacket

Flats Noob

500k/year bonus for winning ACC and i believe 250k/year if there is a repeat appearance in the ACC CG. Also bonuses for Basketball milestones

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
It's about to go nuts in here when they bring white, gold, blue, black tops with White, gold, and black pants.

gogt5

Flats Noob
If they give us navy unis I will literally drive to GT and break every window I see. GOLD unis or bust

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
If they give us navy unis I will literally drive to GT and break every window I see. GOLD unis or bust
Literally? Will you quit Stingtalk if you don't?

Mods?