For the record. I was just being a dick. I like the kids tape. Anyone the staff takes this early is a contributor. If he wasn't the staff would be slow playing him like a few of the other DB offers they have out. I'm not gunna lie and say Im as excited as when Morgan Burnett committed, but he's not a bad get. Welcome to the flats.

People are tiredof being the only good offer of kids when they commit. I'm sure as hell tired of losing guys to Mississippi state and ööööing Arkansas.

A lot of kids say that a school being the first to offer means a lot, that it shows this school really evaluated them and had plans for them. Subsequent offers can be looked upon like mere copycatting.

More kids stick than flip each year. We got on Shaq
Mason early and got his commitment before anyone offered and he stuck with us. Has been a öööö good player for us yet by your logic we shouldn't have gotten his commitment until someone else offered? Guess we shouldn't have offered Jamal Golden either, who stuck with us when Auburn came calling.

I hear fans grumbling about why we haven't offered this guy or that guy yet all the time. Yet if we're the first to offer that's a problem?

The truth is the people complaining here are disgruntled about our recruiting in general so any commitment we get they automatically assume the worst.

I agree our recruiting has been subpar and needs to get better. That doesn't mean I'm going to leap to ridiculous and obviously premature conclusions about this commitment. All that would serve to do is undermine my credibility and make me look like an a-hole.

I like early commits. I know nothing about the individuals, except that they aren't our 3rd choice for that position.

Looking forward to seeing what this kid can do.

We took him as a safety. Miles is also a safety and we were planning on taking 3. That tells me the staff really liked this kid because we have offers out to about 15 other safety candidates. I feel certain they would have slow played Jalen if they felt we had better prospects in the wings. Good measurables, comes from a winning program and will end up around 220 lbs. in a couple of years. With his height and speed he should be a contributor in a couple of years.

Go Jackets!

We took him as a safety. Miles is also a safety and we were planning on taking 3. That tells me the staff really liked this kid because we have offers out to about 15 other safety candidates. I feel certain they would have slow played Jalen if they felt we had better prospects in the wings. Good measurables, comes from a winning program and will end up around 220 lbs. in a couple of years. With his height and speed he should be a contributor in a couple of years.

Go Jackets!

He and Miles are going to look even better next to Step Durham.

This is like dejavu....every year we get some 2* and we have someone come on here to give us a handful of 2*'s who were mediocre. I don't want anymore Tevins or Tony's or Laskey's, I want more Nesbitts, and Dwyers

This. Exactly this.

Laskey is a fine player and I am glad he is on our team! I can understand the frustration with Tevin, but the Laskey hate is ridiculous.

Haters going to Hate.... Proverbs 9:8

I am proud and happy for this young man. He has done very well in life to be able to go to a fine institution for free. I hope he does well both on the field and in the classroom.

This kid might be a diamond in the rough. He might be extremely undervalued. He might fit our system perfectly. But the fact of the matter is that if we rely on the typical 2* players, we will continue to win 7 games per year.

There's a difference between high standards and "high" standards. Those who aren't happy unless we populate every recruiting class with nothing but 4* prospects are definitely high.

No one is saying that...but if we can get consistent classes similar to 2007 I would be pretty happy and I am sure you would too.

No one is saying that...but if we can get consistent classes similar to 2007 I would be pretty happy and I am sure you would too.

You did:

I don't want anymore Tevins or Tony's or Laskey's, I want more Nesbitts, and Dwyers

"don't want anymore" means just that, no more 2*'s, period. Then you go on to name 2 blue chip 4*'s.

We all want great players, I get that. So does the coaching staff. They evaluate prospects. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending how you look at it, they have to evaluate them academically and socially as well as athletically.

Those first two categories weed out quite a few. The ones who are left have to want to bust their arse every minute on and off the field. The latter culls quite a few, as well.

The main thing is that this early in the process, regardless of offers or stars, to get an offer, the kid must be on our A list. If that's not good enough for you, I don't know what is.

No, what I expect is for Tech fans to refrain from making unkind remarks about a young man that our coaches think is good enough to start for our team at some point - a young man who just made the biggest decision of his young life.

Then, sure enough, simply because Nick Saban isn't giving his father a hummer, a certain contingent of fans feel it is appropriate to take a big, steaming dump on what should be an event we are all pretty happy about.

And its particularly frustrating when some of the more learned members of Stingtalk provide some reasonable explanations as to why a prelim rating and an early offer list might not be indicative of the true value of a given recruit and the negative Nancy's just completely ignore them.

Ok, we get it. You aren't happy. Duly noted. Thanks.
Thank you. He was recruited as a safety and has height and speed. I have no idea if other schools will offer the kid, but lets reserve judgement until he either gets offers from big programs or gets on campus and starts battling to be on the 2-deep.

Laskey is a fine player and I am glad he is on our team! I can understand the frustration with Tevin, but the Laskey hate is ridiculous.

Haters going to Hate.... Proverbs 9:8

This. I don't understand what laskey has done wrong except being a white running back. It worked for Toby gerhart, it'll work for Zach laskey. He's not a bad player.

I am proud and happy for this young man. He has done very well in life to be able to go to a fine institution for free. I hope he does well both on the field and in the classroom.

This kid might be a diamond in the rough. He might be extremely undervalued. He might fit our system perfectly. But the fact of the matter is that if we rely on the typical 2* players, we will continue to win 7 games per year.
The problem is that there are thousands of 2 star players every year teams evaluate. Not all 2 stars are created equally. We've had 2 star guys make the NFL and had 2 star guys who never crack the 2 deep.

The rankings mean so much less than the ability of the coaches to evaluate a players real potential.

CPJ has to gain fans' trust that he and his staff can find contributors that aren't 3-5 stars. He has not done a good job of that. For all of CCG's faults, he had some 2 stars that became studs.

We need CPJ to put together a balanced class with a couple of 4's, a majority of 3's and 2's that can contribute and maybe excel.

All of that said, people who crap on a commitment based on an early list of offers are doing the kid and the school a huge disservice. Let things evolve and revisit rankings and offers after the new year. That is when you can legitimately critique a class's makeup.

God, I hate the offseason.

Great pick up for Pelton, great addition to Roof's defense. Looking forward to seeing this young man on the Flats.

You expect some öööös and giggles when we beat out ööööing furman for a recruit? That's like getting worked up when the doctor says you have to get an xray. It's just not a big deal. Nothing to see here folks move along

Early spring recruits typically don't have a ton of offers. With the exception of "can't miss" guys or those that like to gab with the recruiting sites, not many kids have been seen by the services. In watching recruiting closely for the past 20 years, the one thing I'll bank on is that he's going to be a solid contributor at worst. Most of the early recruits we get turn out to start for us; I've done the research on that in prior years.

For example, Scout only lists 25 guys as 5-star right now. I believe they go up to 75 or so by the end of the fall.

Lol you people are ridiculous.

Can we just not welcome him to the flats???

What a bunch of kiddie wimpy baby whiners.

He'll have offers from good schools in the fall. The sky isn't falling.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

And will he, at that point, entertain them?

If he does, will CPJ have learned anything about keeping recruits once offered by "good schools"?

Back