I can't believe nobody has commented on this yet. If Bama offers a kid out of left field with no ranking, no stars, no impressive offer list, Saben is viewed as a genius spotter of talent. If CPJ does it, he's an idiot.

Yeah, but what would people bitch about this time of year if we didn't fiendishly distrust our staff's ability to evaluate talent? For the record, I think that this kid is a great pickup from what I'm seeing in his film.

I can't believe nobody has commented on this yet. If Bama offers a kid out of left field with no ranking, no stars, no impressive offer list, Saben is viewed as a genius spotter of talent. If CPJ does it, he's an idiot.

He also cut off the offer list in the image.. Texas also offered and Miss St. is an SEC school.. so 2 SEC offers and Texas.. thats not exactly the same as the 2 stars we usually get

Yeah, but what would people bitch about this time of year if we didn't fiendishly distrust our staff's ability to evaluate talent? For the record, I think that this kid is a great pickup from what I'm seeing in his film.

I hope he keeps his commitment. :turbonoes:

Would be a great addition to the D.

yeah but look at saban's record for putting kids in the NFL. He has earned that. Paul hasn't.

I actually like Johnson, he has a frame, some speed etc.

The key with recruiting at tech is getting frame guys that are rangy and developing them.

If you notice in pauls last two classes, guys are all frame guys. Tall, rangy, athletic, even the OL. I think Paul is finally getting it. This is what GOL used to do and I thought it worked. Even Chan did it to a degree and Chan was a mediocre coach but his program could develop kids. He would get frame DE and move them to DT. Frame S and they became LB's. You get the athleticism and build the bulk. It works at a school like tech because we can't land the ultra players. We have to put 2-3 years of developing them, and you can't develop height and speed for that matter is a big god given.

Paul is starting to do this. Cummings moves inside; and I think Kallon will and maybe Gamble. Gotsis DE to DT. Sneezy OLB to DE (although this was obvious); CBs going to S. We haven't had any S go to LB, but that could happen over time.

I personally can see a marked difference in the bodies we are going after. On the lines but also in the backend. I like that direction; but it takes time to develop this.

You know what's really funny? If Coach Pelton was still at Auburn and the young man committed to Auburn instead of us, not one of the naysayer doofuses would question it (from Auburn's perspective).

But Roof brings ONE coach from his entire Auburn staff to Tech and, all the sudden, he can't recruit.

Normally, I would just not pay any attention but these negative Nancy posts have the potential to do some damage. If it was you or your kid, the first thing you might do is check out the fan boards to see what the reaction is from the fans.

Its downright embarrassing.

That's because for every 2* Saban gets, 20 5*'s commit.

And please don't try and compare the two...that's embarrasing...

Dude, it's the same öööö thing. It shows with verification from the most highly reputed recruiter in college football that there exists great talent under the radar at this point in the game.

Does it mean the kid will pan out? Hell no. But it shows there are guys out there and at this point plenty of them, imo.

Just because the two coaches don't have the same field success doesn't mean you can't compare one guys apples to another guy's.

Dude, it's the same öööö thing. It shows with verification from the most highly reputed recruiter in college football that there exists great talent under the radar at this point in the game.

Does it mean the kid will pan out? Hell no. But it shows there are guys out there and at this point plenty of them, imo.

Just because the two coaches don't have the same field success doesn't mean you can't compare one guys apples to another guy's.

I never said that there aren't any under the radar 2* talent out there. If this guy is one of them, freaking great. But if we end up with 15 2*'s in this recruiting class, don't tell me that they are all under the radar type kids.

well the ref couldnt keep up with him, lol

welcome to the flats johnson!

4a75063e8849d845c430c961e8da7256.gif

yeah but look at saban's record for putting kids in the NFL. He has earned that. Paul hasn't.
I have to dispute the premise of this statement.

Saban has put more 4*/5* players in the NFL because he has more 4*/5* players.

I would rephrase the question to which coach is more likely to turn a 2* into an NFL player. If I'm wrong then I will humbly admit it but today/right now I don't think for a second that Johnson knows any less than Saban about how to turn a kid into a football player.

If Saban were at Tech and Johnson were at Alabama you might find that CPJ is the NFL pipeline and Saban is the few-and-far-between.

You know what's really funny? If Coach Pelton was still at Auburn and the young man committed to Auburn instead of us, not one of the naysayer doofuses would question it (from Auburn's perspective).

But Roof brings ONE coach from his entire Auburn staff to Tech and, all the sudden, he can't recruit.

Normally, I would just not pay any attention but these negative Nancy posts have the potential to do some damage. If it was you or your kid, the first thing you might do is check out the fan boards to see what the reaction is from the fans.

Its downright embarrassing.

Oh yeah,"Mom, Dad, I committed to GT...quick!!! Off to StingTalk!! Gotta see what those douchebags think"

I never said that there aren't any under the radar 2* talent out there. If this guy is one of them, freaking great. But if we end up with 15 2*'s in this recruiting class, don't tell me that they are all under the radar type kids.

It kind of depends on when they're offered. I'm sure the 2* Saben offered will be promptly bumped to 4*'s. Our 2 star will most likely go to 3*'s before it's all said and done.

The last minute 2 star guys are more of a concern.

It kind of depends on when they're offered. I'm sure the 2* Saben offered will be promptly bumped to 4*'s. Our 2 star will most likely go to 3*'s before it's all said and done.

The last minute 2 star guys are more of a concern.

That is true....and no doubt if he has a stellar Senior year he could garner an upgrade in rating, etc. We will see.

Saban wins National Championships. Johnson doesn't. You do understand that, right?

If Johnson won 12 games a year nobody would have a problem with his recruits.

But he doesn't. He wins 7 games. Or 6. He goes 1-4 against UGA. He goes 1-4 against VT. He goes 1-4 against Miami.

That kind of respect is earned and CPJ just hasn't earned it yet.

And everybody can agree that there are a lot of 2* talents out there that are under the radar, or undersized, or whatever else. But recruiting is a probability game. Not all 4* are superstars, but a lot higher pct are than 2*'s. Our track record shows that we win 6-8 games with our current recruiting.

Back