GT's recruiting problems have everything to do with CPJ and his staff.

This thread is about the recruit Johnson who is a good-looking prospect and will get his due before it's all over.

If you want to complain about GT recruiting cool, I'll probably agree with you in another thread. I think recruiting has sucked and needs to be better. However there's nothing to indicate THIS recruit won't get more offers, more stars, and be a fine player for us. Good film, good measurables.

It's really just common sense. Dunno what your problem is.

Well he might...I have not bashed this guy individually just the recruiting itself. Sure, I hope the guy ends up better than he appears, why wouldn't I.

With all that said this kid is a 3-3.5 star talent.

Yup. This guy's fine.

Now the way the last class ended was terrible. We were short numbers and took at least one guy at the last minute who was highly questionable. Even worse we were out of ammo after that...nobody left to take.

I'll diss the staff all day long when they deserve it. Right now it's way premature.

Saban wins National Championships. Johnson doesn't. You do understand that, right?

If Johnson won 12 games a year nobody would have a problem with his recruits.

But he doesn't. He wins 7 games. Or 6. He goes 1-4 against UGA. He goes 1-4 against VT. He goes 1-4 against Miami.

That kind of respect is earned and CPJ just hasn't earned it yet.

And everybody can agree that there are a lot of 2* talents out there that are under the radar, or undersized, or whatever else. But recruiting is a probability game. Not all 4* are superstars, but a lot higher pct are than 2*'s. Our track record shows that we win 6-8 games with our current recruiting.

You're arguing against a ghost, I'm not disagreeing with anything you just said. The problem is, what you just said does nothing to refute my point which is, again, there are loads of 2* guys with loads of talent right now. "Right now" being the operative phrase. Saben grabbing one just reinforces and legitimizes that point. If you can't see that, I can't make you see it.

Well he might...I have not bashed this guy individually just the recruiting itself. Sure, I hope the guy ends up better than he appears, why wouldn't I.

Agree with bashing of recruiting itself for past classes.

Would be less confusing in its own thread rather than one about this particular recruit, who looks like a solid prospect.

IMO is really early to judge this class. Only 3 of 25 verballed and still extremely early. 2008, 2009, 2010 I thought were pretty bad. 2011 was much better. 2012 was ok until we closed extremely weak.

I guess as Chan showed one year can radically change from the next. He had 2007 between two crappy classes.

I'd be fine with a class like 2011 with 3-4 more difference makers. IMO we don't need top 25 classes year-in year-out. Just keep consistent breadth of quality and the 3-4 more difference makers.

You're arguing against a ghost, I'm not disagreeing with anything you just said. The problem is, what you just said does nothing to refute my point which is, again, there are loads of 2* guys with loads of talent right now. "Right now" being the operative phrase. Saben grabbing one just reinforces and legitimizes that point. If you can't see that, I can't make you see it.
I know there are some talented kids out there that aren't highly regarded by the recruitniks.

Your point was that when Saban does it, he's a genius and when CPJ does it, he's a bum.

But when Saban grabs one, it is impossible to deny that it is much different than when CPJ grabs one. Saban has a proven track record of talent recognition and player development. He takes who he wants and he wins Championships with them. My point is that CPJ hs not earned that reputation.

You're the one that compared the two. If Saban and PJ each pick up a 2* player, which do you think has the best chance to be the stud?

Again, this is an indictment on GT recruiting in general, and not this young man. Obviously I'll be rooting for him as hard as I possibly can from section 111.

I know there are some talented kids out there that aren't highly regarded by the recruitniks.

Your point was that when Saban does it, he's a genius and when CPJ does it, he's a bum.

But when Saban grabs one, it is impossible to deny that it is much different than when CPJ grabs one. Saban has a proven track record of talent recognition and player development. He takes who he wants and he wins Championships with them. My point is that CPJ hs not earned that reputation.

You're the one that compared the two. If Saban and PJ each pick up a 2* player, which do you think has the best chance to be the stud?

Again, this is an indictment on GT recruiting in general, and not this young man. Obviously I'll be rooting for him as hard as I possibly can from section 111.

i have no data to back it up but i suspect you are wrong here.. that GT has a better track record of getting 2* guys into "the league"

i have no data to back it up but i suspect you are wrong here.. that GT has a better track record of getting 2* guys into "the league"

Lol, so Bama not having to take 2* players mainly because they can fill up with 4 and 5 star kids is not fault. How do you rate the kid? Once he gets a Bama offer he will likely jump a star without anything changing but his offer list.

Well who knows? Saban, per Rivals, has only signed three 2* since he arrived, Kicker Jay Williams in 2010, Kicker Corey Smith in 2008, and DB Wesley Neighbors in 2008. Two kickers and one DB whose Grandaddy and Daddy played at Alabama.

The 2007 class had three 2*'s as well, but Saban didn't take the job until January of that year.

I'll let you do the research for GT, since it'll be a substantially longer list.

Welcome to the Flats, young man, we are glad to have you. And, I know you will be glad to wear the white and gold instead of maroon and orange, no matter what shade of gold we choose.

Well who knows? Saban, per Rivals, has only signed three 2* since he arrived, Kicker Jay Williams in 2010, Kicker Corey Smith in 2008, and DB Wesley Neighbors in 2008. Two kickers and one DB whose Grandaddy and Daddy played at Alabama.

The 2007 class had three 2*'s as well, but Saban didn't take the job until January of that year.

I'll let you do the research for GT, since it'll be a substantially longer list.

yes, that may be true, however Saban has clearly offered scholarships to players still listed as 2-stars early in the year as has been shown in this thread already

the 2-stars right now simply mean NOTHING. so to comment about 2-stars is dumb

Simply not true. Stars do mean something at this point. A two star now will not be a 4 star next February. These sites do have a decent handle on top end talent right now. So a 2 might jump to a 3. That's not my point. We need overall better recruiting or we will continue to win 7 games. We need to be signing guys at the 3/4 line, not the 2/3 line.

you are the one that is "simply wrong". its very simple: before players are evaluated they are 2-stars. so they could well become a 4-star when they actually get evaluated

this is not only common sense, but also common knowledge and has been posted in this thread already

Simply not true. Stars do mean something at this point. A two star now will not be a 4 star next February. These sites do have a decent handle on top end talent right now. So a 2 might jump to a 3. That's not my point. We need overall better recruiting or we will continue to win 7 games. We need to be signing guys at the 3/4 line, not the 2/3 line.

I would bet money there are multiple occasions of a recruit ranked at 2 stars at NSD the previous year that becomes a 4 star by NSD the current year.

Wouldn't be surprised if a few of those were Bama commits.

I would bet money there are multiple occasions of a recruit ranked at 2 stars at NSD the previous year that becomes a 4 star by NSD the current year.

Wasn't Johnny Football a 2 star?

I am not sure what you guys are trying to prove...anyone with common sense will know, while yes there probably have been multiple occasions where 2*s early in recruiting ended up rated higher, if 15 of our recruits are 2 and 3 stars that's just simply not good. Again while this thread was about one guy, that is not what arch is talking about nor am I.

can we stop complaining about the prospect of 15 2* guys until we actually have that many? can we not complain about players until we actually see them play a snap of college ball?

can we stop complaining about the prospect of 15 2* guys until we actually have that many? can we not complain about players until we actually see them play a snap of college ball?

Yes please...just stop telling me that every 2* we get is under the radar and his tape looks really good against 5 10 white guys and that his measurables are looking good and he will have more offers come August...

Back