6-6 a good season for us right now?

Would beating Syracuse, going 6-6, and making a bowl be a good season for us?

• Yes

Votes: 220 87.6%
  • No

Votes: 17 6.8%
  • Depends

Votes: 14 5.6%

• Total voters
Also, I hate to shoot for a moral victory, but playing a solid 60 minute game against UGAg will go a long way with fans. Yesterday's UGAg team may have been their best team playing, ever. I don't say that lightly. They are a level above every team in CFB except MAYBE 1 or 2 and I am starting to doubt even 1 or 2 teams are their equal.

We need to beat Syracuse solidly to get to a bowl game. Our Superbowl is UGAg. They may be the best UGAg team we have ever faced. They make nearly zero mistakes and are just physically superior at every position to pretty much anyone they play. They would have murdered Clemson yesterday.
Are you sober? The last 2 ugag teams would have beaten this years team. When they face a team with a good D, they struggle. See Mizzo and AU.

The global issue would still be an issue regardless of GT running the 3O still. The LOS battle on both sides of the ball against Clemson, FSU, uga, etc would still be at a disadvantage. Games would be what they are. That said, GT wouldn’t have likely lost to BG, etc. So 8-4 would prob be the good season for GT. 5 years post the 3O the O going forward doesn’t look like it will generally be the issue. The constant regardless of HC will ……Defense.

I would have gladly traded 8-4 maximum wins the past five years for what we got.

To be honest, as unacceptable that loss to the Citadel was in season one of Pennywise, he truly lost me after the Northern Illinois debacle starting season three.

He should have been fired after that season... shocked that he wasn't.

Having said all that. I still believe that a 6-6 season would be a major accomplishment. I never imagined losing to Bowling Green and beating Miami.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

We need better skill position athletes. Our current starters are good, backups are serviceable, but Tech needs to step it up talent wise at RB, WR, TE, LB, and DL.

Yeah, that’s asking a lot, and is why 6-6 and a bowl game is good, right now, and a step in the right direction.
This is just wrong on every respect. Our skilled positions are just fine. Sure we could use a big RB like Mapha but our skilled groups are just fine as are our special teams (finally). The difference between GT and teams in the top 15 is the offensive line. Thats where it starts and ends. Key has been here 6 years now dealing with that position group and we are worse than when we were all complaining about Sewak and we are running a much simpler offensive system.

As for our record, at this point I don’t care. We sent a Hall of Fame coach into retirement and here we are six years later praying for a mid December bowl and a .500 record. Sure, I want to win against Syracuse to maybe salvage a recruiting class, but what Clemson just did to us is a look into what UGA and FSU will do in 2 of our next 3 or 4 games.

This is just wrong on every respect. Our skilled positions are just fine. Sure we could use a big RB like Mapha but our skilled groups are just fine as are our special teams (finally). The difference between GT and teams in the top 15 is the offensive line. Thats where it starts and ends. Key has been here 6 years now dealing with that position group and we are worse than when we were all complaining about Sewak and we are running a much simpler offensive system.

As for our record, at this point I don’t care. We sent a Hall of Fame coach into retirement and here we are six years later praying for a mid December bowl and a .500 record. Sure, I want to win against Syracuse to maybe salvage a recruiting class, but what Clemson just did to us is a look into what UGA and FSU will do in 2 of our next 3 or 4 games.
How does FSU figure into this year?

No it’s not wrong on every aspect. We could use a big RB, and a better back-up to Haynes than Cooley after Smith is gone. WR is a good group, though the dropped passes yesterday were frustrating. At TE, Seither will be back (incorrectly had him as a Sr). LB is lacking of any playmakers and is as weak as it’s been in 30+ years. We haven’t had a stud DL in 15 years. I agree with ST, great having a reliable FG kicker and KO kicker that can put it in the end zone.

Obviously if we beat Georgia it's a great season and everyone is happy. If you will please just imagine the possibility that we don't beat them... Would winning against Syracuse and going to a bowl be a good 2023-2024 season for us?
Absolutely! Winning breeds more winning. Recruits love winning and progress and if we win on Saturday, that's progress.

6 wins is only 1 better than last year and Key was 4-4/.500 then. Not really an improvement to go 6-6. Different story if we had showed up vs BG and closed out Louisville though

Making a bowl is very important and really 7-5 vs 6-6 to me is not that important. Also think the team showed improvement this year. Ran into a buzzsaw with Clemson and that happens. Plus its hard for middling teams to play well week after week and we had played two pretty good games in UNC and UVA. Things to be happy about - Haynes King, improved line play, better recievers including Singleton. Biggers is coming on. Have some things to work on obviously particularly at linebacker but need Cuse win and then play hard against UGA. BG type losses have to stop but we are growing. Finish the drill guys.

6-6 is the definition of mediocre. I would go as far as say 8-4 is mediocre. There are two games on most teams' schedule that are gimmes. So 6-6 sucks to be honest. Also I no longer hold any faith in "the future." Who knows what the future holds with the transfer portal in play. All our good players could transfer and we'll just be starting over again season after season.
If our coach and administration are smart, we should start OWNING the portal. It is a fantastic opportunity to get players that you KNOW are good because you have seen them play on this level. Recruiting is great, but the portal is even better. In fact, recruiting should be used to cultivate future portal players. We have a lot to offer in Atlanta. We play in a lot of high profile games, and we play ugag every year. We have a lot of national exposure too. There are a lot of really good players at uga, bama, clemson, etc that will never see the field because the guy in front of him is a star who happens to be 1% better than him. Maybe it takes a couple of years for that to sink in.

I voted yes but was really hoping for 7 wins. The bowling green game really changed the look of the season.

We have seen some positives and things we can build on. I think key made some mistakes but hopefully he can learn from them. We need to improve on defense (coaches and talent). Offense has shown a lot of potential but needs to be more consistent.

Overall, I have hope for the future for the first time in several years. Just need to see if we can do what it takes to get over the hump and be a top 25 team again

Edited to add, we can still get to 7. We do have two more games
Lost to Bowling Green—a should be win. But that was offset by a miracle win against Miami.

6-6 is a good year for where we are now.

If our coach and administration are smart, we should start OWNING the portal. It is a fantastic opportunity to get players that you KNOW are good because you have seen them play on this level. Recruiting is great, but the portal is even better. In fact, recruiting should be used to cultivate future portal players. We have a lot to offer in Atlanta. We play in a lot of high profile games, and we play ugag every year. We have a lot of national exposure too. There are a lot of really good players at uga, bama, clemson, etc that will never see the field because the guy in front of him is a star who happens to be 1% better than him. Maybe it takes a couple of years for that to sink in.
And "hey, come here next season and you get a free trip to Ireland"

Getting boat raced at Clemson sucked but when you throw 4 picks plus play ultra soft 3rd/4th down defense, this is the result. 6-6 is good and I will be happy but I still see a lot of questionable defensive coaching. Offense I'm actually pleased with even considering the turnover fest vs Clemson (nearly every team has that one game each year). I guess I wasn't really expecting a defensive turn around after the DC got whacked but I just don't want to see soft coverage. I'd rather play aggressively and if they beat our blitz and press coverage, so be it since the alternative is to give a QB all day to pass and guaranteed failure anyway.

Clemson's talent beat us last Saturday. They controlled the LOS and their monster DTs manhandled our OL. They also played press man coverage out of the gate which made King force passes in bad situations. Defensively it was almost as if Thacker was running the secondary with 10-15 yard cushions in the zone. Perhaps they were playing that way to help with stopping the running game. Our DL did well early on but the inability for our Offense to capitalize early on after the first TD and throughout the day hurt most by putting our D out there for a ton of minutes. I think in the post season, Key looks for a new DC though. Still, if Singleton catches that TD pass and the other, it might have opened up the running game for us but still we ran into a buzz-saw of talent which they still have a lot of. As good as we've played on the OL as of late, we just got ate up. Plain and simple.

Back