Academics

also, it is assuming that the defense would have done exactly the same thing, which is false. without the threat of a pass to Calvin, our rushing game would have been virtually non existant. also, our QB would have had 0 rushing yards

i have though about what you guys claim, and i dont understand how you guys can pull stats out of context and after spending time at Georgia Tech, feel that it is a logical and reasonable assumption that you can interpret the data as you just did. that IS the orignal fallacy of data analysis. THINGS ARE RELATED! so, i disagree vehemently with your assessment beej, although at least you stated it with class and without insult

also, i dont see how you guys blame reggie for the lost fumble that turned into the rugby touchdown play. that was the 'neighborhood call' from the refs. bogus call, not really on reggie. so again, i just simply disagree with your assessment of the facts and the alternate potential outcomes

taken out of context mm42, totally misinterpreted

i do think its idiotic to argue over this all over again, so im done

go Reggie Ball, NFL player, who helped GT keep the bowl streak going

talking sense? im laughing now

i did graduate from Tech in 3 years with a degree in Physics with the highest GPA in the college of sciences, but i guess im an idiot!

So what. This is football. Can you describe the advantages of a zone/blitz defense? Can you tell me the differences in cover one versus cover two? Or describe to me what advantages does the West Coast offense offer when facing a 4-3 zone defense?

See while you were busy on your Saturday afternoon cranking out answers to equations to stay ahead of your class schedule, the rest of us were busy going to parties with a bunch of chicks and watching football because frankly mm42 and me are far too big of idiots to ever even attempt to graduate from GT in 3 years with a degree in Physics. Hell, it took me 5 years to graduate from GT and I ended up transfering from Civil Engineering to the M-train. I had no desire to graduate from school. Looking back on it I wished I could have stretched it to a 7 year program. But oh well. I'm doing pretty well now so I guess I did something right.

So while I certainly do not think you are an idiot, I think your football knowledge is questionable based on some of the comments you have made. Last I checked, I can't seem to recall anyone I ever knew who was as proficient as you are in Science that knew jack didly about football, much less ever played the game. I'm sure there are exceptions to that rule, but I haven't seen one yet.

Maybe Darryl Richards qualifies. And he is infinitely smarter than me in football and in studies.

You're assuming that Nix wouldn't have called passing plays despite knowing about A) and B).

Nope! I'm saying with the SAME PLAY CALLS if Reggie would have just hiked the ball and either handed it off or thrown it away, we would have won. We would have had 41 yards less passing, but 30 less yards lost in sacks, and 3 less turnovers, leading to 10 fewer UGA points. We would have won.

WE WOULD HAVE WON WITH TEN PLAYERS ON THE FIELD. THAT'S HOW BAD REGGIE WAS.

Go back and watch. Pretend Reggie threw the ball away every time we called a pass play. It would work out better for us.

i played 4 years of HS football at RB, DB and LB, in Atlanta; went to just about every game Tech had on campus (even our 1-10 season), partied my ass off, spent lots of weekends in Athens with girls, went hiking, went to Europe, partied in the carribean, barely studied, know all about the 3-4 defense, and the intricacies of cover 2, the differences between the boundary and the field corner, how the so-called 'west coast' offense might play into the hands of a defense or abuse it, what a pulling guard is, have a strong understanding of proper blocking techniques, know the names of the moves like a 'swim move' to get unblocked, know that Calvin got so many balls because he could push off w/o extending his arm, and also i know how a qb fits into a gameplan

i also know that comparing players based on stats is not typically not that advisable, especially trying to extract and predict stats from one static scenario to another, which might be called downright simple minded

i also am pretty athletic, and for approaching 40 still can do some damage out there.

i played on the Tech club soccer team until my first ACL tear on the right knee, which had to be redone later due to another soccer injury.

its funny to me that you propogate the myth that you cant be smart and also knowledgable or interested in sports. THATS WHAT TECH ATHLETICS IS. also, have you ever heard of Rusty LaRue??? starting pg in basketball, starting qb in football, starting pitcher in baseball, 3.6 EE at wake forrest with 3 kids and a wife. it IS possible

i played 4 years of HS football at RB, DB and LB, in Atlanta; went to just about every game Tech had on campus (even our 1-10 season), partied my ass off, spent lots of weekends in Athens with girls, went hiking, went to Europe, partied in the carribean, barely studied, know all about the 3-4 defense, and the intricacies of cover 2, the differences between the boundary and the field corner, how the so-called 'west coast' offense might play into the hands of a defense or abuse it, what a pulling guard is, have a strong understanding of proper blocking techniques, know the names of the moves like a 'swim move' to get unblocked, know that Calvin got so many balls because he could push off w/o extending his arm, and also i know how a qb fits into a gameplan

wow. You know all that and you can't figure out that Reggie should have been benched in either the UGA or Wake games? So are you just that stubborn in admitting that you are wrong or are you bi-polar?

3 years in Physics top GPA is impressive...

But I have a hard time believing that you can show me an instance of a four year starting QB with a worse stretch (than the Duke/UGA/Wake) that wasn't subbed for once. Not one single series.

It is common for coaches to show a lot of support for their QB and have a slow 'trigger', but this takes it to another level.

At the time, 'unknowing' fans were awfully apprehensive since nobody thought that Ball would play every single snap (that badly without the hint of substitution) unless our backups were outrageously bad.

I'm not meaning to pile on, but I'd sure like to ask Chan. I seriously doubt that he agrees with you that there was no reason to give Taylor a series or two...

i see what you are saying, but i still have two opposing opinions

a) i dont think rb is the kind of guy that can shake off being taken out easily and it would probably have to be tb from then on

b) for example, against UGA, when would you have made the substitution - still no one has answered that except BoR who said he would have started TB.

it would have worked perhaps, if that had been done along the way for the previous years, but it hadnt and i think it would have been a changing point for the team and for rb

anyways.. again, tb is the qb now and its a whole new year. rb is in the NFL so everyone should be happy.

well, if you recall mm42, the subbing of out of DD for TB, BL's old buddy's son, is what split the team apart and ruined the whole year

this is part of what would have been someone tricky with the rb situation, imo

of course to you, it might just all be a big joke, making some superficially rude comment with a quote inserted is your mo, apparently

of course to you, it might just all be a big joke, making some superficially rude comment with a quote inserted is your mo, apparently

You can't expect to get any respect when you call everyone who disagrees with you an idiot, Charlie.

i really didnt, but i apologize if thats how it came across. i really meant that i think it is idiotic to slam our players from behind a key board for no apparent reason since the season hasnt started and we are using stats from last year to justify why a guy shouldnt start this year.

but, still i think your come backs are superficially funny, but not very thought provolking

also, i am not really looking for your respect, but i do feel you should show more to the guys that bleed for GT. and reggie did. he played hurt, he was a leader on the team, and you guys make it out like he was a dawg or something

the kind of comments you made, like the one about reggies contribution being like argentinas in ww2, have no substantive value to the conversation and only serve to embarrass a former player. to me that is self-destructive behaviour, and, i must say, kinda idiotic

please dont ever say that to my face unless you are prepared to back it up

b) for example, against UGA, when would you have made the substitution - still no one has answered that except BoR who said he would have started TB.

My preference is that, as bad as Reggie was playing in the Duke game, TB should have been given a series. By NOT giving him a series in the Duke game, it made it more difficult for Nix/Gailey to put him in in the GA game.

Given that mistake, after any INT is the normal time to give the backup a series. (Same as a CB, who for some reason are also often coddled to not hurt their feelings.)

Great teams get the backup QB playing time in garbage time. It seemed like Nix went out of his way to NOT play TB during the season.

i concur that we should have done a better job grooming TB, and agree that playing him more against Duke would have helped in the situation at UGAy. i think i said as much in one of my posts.

i did notice that we never got ahead that much to 'be comfortable' so not really that much garbage time, but i do agree that you have to play your backup, if he is going to be your starter next year especially

Back