CG3 Shade Thrown at Tech Students

Agree. You need to connect GT to ATL and the Atlanta culture to bring in the best players and win games. That’s why I think someone like Deion would be successful here.

Of course you also have to win games while doing the above.
I can't buy this. Sorry. Just win, baby. Winning cures all woes.

GA Tech posted (almost) annual winning records from 1997 through 2018 and did fairly well across three straight coaches - four of five coaches back to 1989 if you extend back to Ross' last 3 seasons and SMH at B*** L****. That would be 23 out of 30 years.

Looking at college football TV viewership for 2014 bowls, the Orange Bowl vs. MSU drew a 5.0 rating. Other than the first CFP games, our bowl placed 2nd behind the Cotton Bowl (Mich St vs. Baylor) [5.2], beating the MCB (ND vs. LSU), the Belk Bowl (UGAg vs. L'ville), Peach Bowl (Ole Miss vs. TCU), Fiesta Bowl (Boise vs. Arizona), Outback Bowl (Wisc vs. Auburn), and Gator Bowl (UT vs. Iowa).

When GT is good GT can draw eyes.

Including Jahmyr Gibbs - so at least I had some pretty good company. I mean, if you knew it right off the Batt, then I'm impressed. Seriously. I missed it. Until the Citadel game, at least. That's when I knew.
Jahmyr Gibbs was a 17 year old kid and 3 star athlete when he committed to Tech.

Jahmyr Gibbs was a 17 year old kid and 3 star athlete when he committed to Tech.
Right but my point is that a kid (and his family and coaches) who met and had presumably in-depth conversations with many of the top coaches in the country fell for Collins nonsense so I am not sure how I was supposed to know that the guy was a complete fraud.

I can't buy this. Sorry. Just win, baby. Winning cures all woes.

GA Tech posted (almost) annual winning records from 1997 through 2018 and did fairly well across three straight coaches - four of five coaches back to 1989 if you extend back to Ross' last 3 seasons and SMH at B*** L****. That would be 23 out of 30 years.

Looking at college football TV viewership for 2014 bowls, the Orange Bowl vs. MSU drew a 5.0 rating. Other than the first CFP games, our bowl placed 2nd behind the Cotton Bowl (Mich St vs. Baylor) [5.2], beating the MCB (ND vs. LSU), the Belk Bowl (UGAg vs. L'ville), Peach Bowl (Ole Miss vs. TCU), Fiesta Bowl (Boise vs. Arizona), Outback Bowl (Wisc vs. Auburn), and Gator Bowl (UT vs. Iowa).

When GT is good GT can draw eyes.

- Coach, what's your strategy at Tech?
- Win 15 games every year
- Hired!

I'm going to agree and disagree with you. First, I agree that winning is the answer to more winning. I also agree that CG3 left the program in such a poor state that a coach doing basic things and just trying to win will increase wins. However, I think that approach is tapped at about 6 wins / season (hey, I'll take it based on the past few years).

To get to where we should be: 8-9 wins per season, will take either a different scheme (think triple option, air raid) and/or better players. I think we can get better players by connecting Tech with ATL and selling the ATL culture. It's what separates us from Alabama, uGA, Clemson, etc. We won't steal the 5* guys, but we should be able to peel off 4*s.

1997 - 2018 is meaningless. NIL, insane TV contracts, and the transfer portal means that 2023 is a completely different game.

Including Jahmyr Gibbs - so at least I had some pretty good company. I mean, if you knew it right off the Batt, then I'm impressed. Seriously. I missed it. Until the Citadel game, at least. That's when I knew.
I went to Clemson for his first game as HC. I knew it after the first quarter.

And who got Choice to coach at GT?

You can’t say it was 100% obvious that Collins was a joke or going to be a bust from day one. There was plenty of evidence to the contrary for awhile.
Loyalty to GT got TC here.

You can’t say it was 100% obvious that Collins was a joke or going to be a bust from day one. There was plenty of evidence to the contrary for awhile.

Pretty clear that Choice and Key were fully bought in to Collins' vision early on. They were both pretty fired up about the whole thing. When they realized there was no substance, I am not sure. Choice moved on and Key played the long game for a shot at HC.

Poster on TOS pretty much said it from the Quick Lane Bowl when Collins was on the sidelines that this hire was no es bueno. So somebody had a pretty good feel early we were getting a used car salesman.

Pretty clear that Choice and Key were fully bought in to Collins' vision early on. They were both pretty fired up about the whole thing. When they realized there was no substance, I am not sure. Choice moved on and Key played the long game for a shot at HC.
I know many former players that wanted Collins and was behind the hire 100%. So what? They soon had their eyes opened. It didn't take long either. There were a number of us on here that got blasted, called all kind of names, had our intelligence questioned, all because we could see the cracks after year one. We'd point out specifics and be told to shut up and support the team. I had truly hoped for the best, as I am so tired of seeing us lose. But it was pretty obvious beginning year two, this clown didn't have a clue how to run a program.

I don't think Stan is an idiot.
You mean the guy that signed the Clown to an eight year contract? The guy who spent his buyout money on a multi-million dollar home in Ansley Park? The guy who was warned that his CFO and Compliance Officer were toxic and instead elevated them to oversight on the men's basketball team, leading to sanctions? The guy who trumped up charges on the women's basketball coach and fired her for cause, leading to a massive lawsuit, instead of waiting three games and doing it for nothing? The guy who thought this turf was a good idea? The guy who filled his AD suite with his buddies, instead of donors? The guy who would go to out-of-town Alumni events, spend the time drinking with his wife, instead of talking to anyone, and leave early because he had dinner reservations with friends? That guy isn't an idiot?

- Coach, what's your strategy at Tech?
- Win 15 games every year
- Hired!

I'm going to agree and disagree with you. First, I agree that winning is the answer to more winning. I also agree that CG3 left the program in such a poor state that a coach doing basic things and just trying to win will increase wins. However, I think that approach is tapped at about 6 wins / season (hey, I'll take it based on the past few years).

To get to where we should be: 8-9 wins per season, will take either a different scheme (think triple option, air raid) and/or better players. I think we can get better players by connecting Tech with ATL and selling the ATL culture. It's what separates us from Alabama, uGA, Clemson, etc. We won't steal the 5* guys, but we should be able to peel off 4*s.

1997 - 2018 is meaningless. NIL, insane TV contracts, and the transfer portal means that 2023 is a completely different game.
Football culture is defined most strongly and clearly by winning, not by what color shoes you wear, what you call third down, players dancing on the sidelines while the game is going on, rap music at ear-splitting levels during games, ad nauseum. We will agree to disagree here.

Both Ross and GOL had passed the 7 win/season threshold. Gailey was getting there, albeit slowly, with his last two recruiting classes. That 2007 class became the foundation of CPJ's early success (2008-11: 34 W's). The 2008 class was shaping up to be another nice one when we changed coaches. I was good with it. Loved CPJ, but Gailey would likely have taken the program to an 8-9 win/season threshold with Nesbitt and Renfree leading the O. CPJ, due to his superior system, took it further than that. CPJ then ran into back-to-back idiots (toss kudos to clapper here^^^) in Sasquatch and Stan that curtailed his effectiveness and he retired. Stan then hired the guy who dropped a loss to the Citadel on his players his first season. What a twit.

I believe that GT can move to a 7-10 win/season program by having a competent HC and an AA that will support him strongly. We will put fans in stands and we will win divisions and an occasional conference championship.

I can believe it, after all nothing..., nothing could be his fault. Maybe God just doesn't want to see the progress.

If he had beaten Pitt, Duke, VPI, and UNC and been competitive in Athens, he would still think Tech was great. If he's so concerned about our student section, maybe he would like to take some of the money he got from Tech and match contributions to our NIL fund up to one million dollars. That wouldn't bring back some of the student enthusiasm he drove away. He is still a young man. He still has the rest of his life to make a positive impression on people. Him bad mouthing Tech will not affect Tech at all, but it is just reminding people of his coaching stint here. He is just making himself look stupid. I admire Stansbury for getting that job at NC State. He can resurrect his career, and I hope he does. But, Collins is really hurting himself. I wonder if he still wears those goofy clothes and goes to Waffle House. It's Money Down, Coach! Show the world you're ATL!

But, Collins is really hurting himself. I wonder if he still wears those goofy clothes and goes to Waffle House. It's Money Down, Coach! Show the world you're ATL!

I think he reverted back to being a Temple guy as soon as we öööö canned him. Not sure how the Temple fans feel about that, but öööö them and öööö him for making me watch us lose to them on my damn birthday.

JRjr

I think he reverted back to being a Temple guy as soon as we öööö canned him. Not sure how the Temple fans feel about that, but öööö them and öööö him for making me watch us lose to them on my damn birthday.

JRjr

But dream job, grew up in Conyers, wanted to be at GT.

I’m embarrassed by the fact that it took me so long to wake up to the fact that C****** was a clown. 2019 was year one, ok, pass. 2020 was COVID, ok, pass. 2021 opened with a loss to NIL, this ain’t working. ND + UGA 100-0, finally, I’m done.

I like to think that it was more me wanting GT to be successful rather than thinking C****** was even a mediocre head football coach.

JRjr
Hopefully he will move to Philadelphia and live near Temple, It seems like a nice safe area.

Still hard to understand so many taken in by such an obvious used car salesman.

It's not hard.... They said exactly what was in the minds & mouths of the large contingency of fans who wanted to move away from Paul Johnson's brand. They promised that we'd be a destination school, own Atlanta, play "big boy" football, and stand up and punch the factories in the mouth. We just needed to recruit & rebrand and the first step was a historic rebuild where the record for the first 2 years wouldn't count.

Back